Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

We Love Food - Day 4 - Monday 16th May 2022 - Keke's & Longhorn

We Love Food - An offsite dining report - May 2022

Day 4 - Monday 16th May 2022

Keke's Breakfast Cafe, Longhorn Steakhouse

Keke's Breakfast Cafe, Rafina Boulevard, Davenport

We had always planned to go out to Doctor Phillips at some point on this trip, for breakfast at Keke's Breakfast Cafe as it was one of our favourite meals on our last holiday. However, we found this new Keke's near to where we are staying so decided to go there instead. Although the address is Rafina Bvd, this branch is actually on the Osceola Polk Line, just east of the junction onto the I4 at Champions Gate.

There was no queue, so we were seated right away, given menu's and offered coffee or juice. We both chose coffee as we remembered that the coffee here is particularly good.

After browsing the menu for a while, we chose as follows:

Neil - Ham & Cheese Omelet (ham and white American cheese, served with Home Fries and Wheat Toast) $11.49. He contemplated ordering a waffle as well, thinking that an omelet wasn't a very big breakfast. However, a chap at the table across from us was served his omelet just before we ordered, and it was a lot of food so he was glad he only ordered the one thing! In the end, Neil didn't quite manage to finish it.

Me - Banana Split Waffle (banana, pineapple, fresh strawberries in glaze, chocolate fudge syrup & pecans on a Belgian Waffle) $12.99

This was amazing, and I was determined to eat it all, which I did but it was a struggle!

Keke's is always so clean, and has a lovely calm atmosphere. Great value too, our delicious breakfasts only cost $32.59 + tip.

Publix @ Ovation, Lake Wilson Road

Before heading back to the villa for some pool time, we popped into the Publix next to Keke's for some bits to allow us to make light meals in the villa for the evenings when we didn't fancy going out for dinner. We bought Crackers, Cheese and Sliced Chicken $14.27. We also had a look here for the Longhorn Steakhouse seasoning, which I had read could be purchased in Publix but we couldn't find it. We've also checked various Walmart's but to no avail.

Longhorn Steakhouse, Osceola Polk Line (I4 Junction Champions Gate)

About 3.30pm we decided we were a big peckish, seeing as it was now about 6 hours since our filling breakfast. It was agreed that we would go to Longhorn Steakhouse, the new one just along from the Keke's we visited this morning. Sounds easy enough... except we missed the turning. Coming from the east, we needed to turn right into the car park so we took the slip road thinking that was correct but it turned out that took us onto the I4. The car park was the previous turning. In our defence, there are a lot of roadworks and cones there just now...

We came off the I4 and ended up on a toll road, which in turn took us onto the US192. In hindsight we should have turned right onto the 192, which would have taken us to Rolling Oaks and we could have eaten there. We were a bit disorientated however, and turned left towards the US27. Since we knew this road, we decided just to carry on, down the US27 and back to Champions Gate. We basically drove a complete loop, and instead of taking us 10 minutes to drive to dinner, it took us an hour!

We eventually pulled into the Longhorns car park and got a table with no wait (thanks goodness, we were hungry now!). Drinks were ordered, Coke for Neil and a Moscow Mule for me (disappointingly, not a lot of flavour in this).

We ordered our food soon after. An appetiser to share of Spicy Chicken Bites (fresh & tender hand-cut chicken tossed in a sweet and spicy chilli-ginger sauce) as we had a voucher for a free appetiser. These were really good, just the right amount of spicy for us (mild!) and very tasty. We scoffed these and the lovely warm bread as soon as they arrived as we were ravenous now after our long detour! Neil's salad arrived with these as well.

For our main courses, we had ordered as follows:

Neil - Ribeye (well marbled, making it our most juicy and flavourful steak), medium-well, with mash and Caesar salad.
Me - Flo's Filet 6oz (exceptionally tender centre-cut filet grilled with our signature seasoning), well done with mash and broccoli.

Mine arrived first, but when Neil's appeared a few minutes later he immediately noticed that there were fries on his plate, not mash. He mentioned it to our server, who said she would bring an additional side of mash. She quickly came back empty handed and explained that another server had picked up Neil's plate and taken it to another table so they were going to make a fresh meal for him and took his plate away. While we appreciated this, it meant that I had finished my meal before his had arrived!

We've been to Longhorn's many times before and it is one of our favourite restaurants. Right away I noticed something different about my steak but I didn't say anything to see if Neil noticed the same about his. When it did arrive, the manager brought it over with apologies, and as she laid it down she said, "Ribeye, well done with mash". Still not right then? Neil had asked for medium-well but accepted it anyway. The manager said she would take it off of our bill for the hassle, which was nice of her.

Neil did notice, as I did, that the steaks weren't as highly seasoned as they previously were. The amazing flavour used to just hit you at the first bite but it was so much milder this time. Still nice, and the mash was amazing, but we missed the strong flavour. Here are our meals...

We didn't use our free appetiser coupon in the end, as we felt they had done enough by removing the cost of Neil's meal. Total $45 + tip. The manager was at the door when we left, so we had a little chat with her and reassured her we would be back. It's still one of our favourites.

We finished our day with drinks by the pool.

Total food/drink spend today $91.86 + tips

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 22, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Breakfast looks delicious but huge! Im not surprised you were ready for your meal after your detour.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 22, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
We Love Food - An offsite dining report - May 2022

Day 4 - Monday 16th May 2022

Keke's Breakfast Cafe, Longhorn Steakhouse

Keke's Breakfast Cafe, Rafina Boulevard, Davenport

We had always planned to go out to Doctor Phillips at some point on this trip, for breakfast at Keke's Breakfast Cafe as it was one of our favourite meals on our last holiday. However, we found this new Keke's near to where we are staying so decided to go there instead. Although the address is Rafina Bvd, this branch is actually on the Osceola Polk Line, just east of the junction onto the I4 at Champions Gate.

There was no queue, so we were seated right away, given menu's and offered coffee or juice. We both chose coffee as we remembered that the coffee here is particularly good.

After browsing the menu for a while, we chose as follows:

Neil - Ham & Cheese Omelet (ham and white American cheese, served with Home Fries and Wheat Toast) $11.49. He contemplated ordering a waffle as well, thinking that an omelet wasn't a very big breakfast. However, a chap at the table across from us was served his omelet just before we ordered, and it was a lot of food so he was glad he only ordered the one thing! In the end, Neil didn't quite manage to finish it.

Me - Banana Split Waffle (banana, pineapple, fresh strawberries in glaze, chocolate fudge syrup & pecans on a Belgian Waffle) $12.99

This was amazing, and I was determined to eat it all, which I did but it was a struggle!

Keke's is always so clean, and has a lovely calm atmosphere. Great value too, our delicious breakfasts only cost $32.59 + tip.

Publix @ Ovation, Lake Wilson Road

Before heading back to the villa for some pool time, we popped into the Publix next to Keke's for some bits to allow us to make light meals in the villa for the evenings when we didn't fancy going out for dinner. We bought Crackers, Cheese and Sliced Chicken $14.27. We also had a look here for the Longhorn Steakhouse seasoning, which I had read could be purchased in Publix but we couldn't find it. We've also checked various Walmart's but to no avail.

Longhorn Steakhouse, Osceola Polk Line (I4 Junction Champions Gate)

About 3.30pm we decided we were a big peckish, seeing as it was now about 6 hours since our filling breakfast. It was agreed that we would go to Longhorn Steakhouse, the new one just along from the Keke's we visited this morning. Sounds easy enough... except we missed the turning. Coming from the east, we needed to turn right into the car park so we took the slip road thinking that was correct but it turned out that took us onto the I4. The car park was the previous turning. In our defence, there are a lot of roadworks and cones there just now...

We came off the I4 and ended up on a toll road, which in turn took us onto the US192. In hindsight we should have turned right onto the 192, which would have taken us to Rolling Oaks and we could have eaten there. We were a bit disorientated however, and turned left towards the US27. Since we knew this road, we decided just to carry on, down the US27 and back to Champions Gate. We basically drove a complete loop, and instead of taking us 10 minutes to drive to dinner, it took us an hour!

We eventually pulled into the Longhorns car park and got a table with no wait (thanks goodness, we were hungry now!). Drinks were ordered, Coke for Neil and a Moscow Mule for me (disappointingly, not a lot of flavour in this).

We ordered our food soon after. An appetiser to share of Spicy Chicken Bites (fresh & tender hand-cut chicken tossed in a sweet and spicy chilli-ginger sauce) as we had a voucher for a free appetiser. These were really good, just the right amount of spicy for us (mild!) and very tasty. We scoffed these and the lovely warm bread as soon as they arrived as we were ravenous now after our long detour! Neil's salad arrived with these as well.

For our main courses, we had ordered as follows:

Neil - Ribeye (well marbled, making it our most juicy and flavourful steak), medium-well, with mash and Caesar salad.
Me - Flo's Filet 6oz (exceptionally tender centre-cut filet grilled with our signature seasoning), well done with mash and broccoli.

Mine arrived first, but when Neil's appeared a few minutes later he immediately noticed that there were fries on his plate, not mash. He mentioned it to our server, who said she would bring an additional side of mash. She quickly came back empty handed and explained that another server had picked up Neil's plate and taken it to another table so they were going to make a fresh meal for him and took his plate away. While we appreciated this, it meant that I had finished my meal before his had arrived!

We've been to Longhorn's many times before and it is one of our favourite restaurants. Right away I noticed something different about my steak but I didn't say anything to see if Neil noticed the same about his. When it did arrive, the manager brought it over with apologies, and as she laid it down she said, "Ribeye, well done with mash". Still not right then? Neil had asked for medium-well but accepted it anyway. The manager said she would take it off of our bill for the hassle, which was nice of her.

Neil did notice, as I did, that the steaks weren't as highly seasoned as they previously were. The amazing flavour used to just hit you at the first bite but it was so much milder this time. Still nice, and the mash was amazing, but we missed the strong flavour. Here are our meals...

We didn't use our free appetiser coupon in the end, as we felt they had done enough by removing the cost of Neil's meal. Total $45 + tip. The manager was at the door when we left, so we had a little chat with her and reassured her we would be back. It's still one of our favourites.

We finished our day with drinks by the pool.

Total food/drink spend today $91.86 + tips
OMG your waffle, you did well to finish it 🙊💪
We love Longhorns too, I can’t believe another messed up order for you 🤷🤦
I’ll take note of the steak next time we go & see if I think the same regarding the seasoning 😳😬
At least they didn’t charge for the steak though

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 22, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That was a detour and half😆

Joan
Old 23 May 22, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Waffle looks amazing 🤩
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 22, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Lynda your breakfast choices looked delicious 😋 , Kekes is yet another place on our to visit list
Wow what a drive to get some dinner , love the mash in the USA so creamy 🤗
Xx
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 22, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The banana and cream looks divine at breakfast, no wonder you weren't hungry until later. A shame about the mix up at Longhorn but at least they didn't charge for .Neil's steak. I was hoping you were going to get the loaded potato as thats my favourite there.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 22, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Another day of great looking food. Shame you had another issue again though. I remember from our last trip that the seasoning on the steak was strong, will be disappointing if that is how they all are now x

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 22, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Breakfast looks delicious but huge! Im not surprised you were ready for your meal after your detour.
I know! We felt so silly when we realised what we had done, but the roadworks just disorientated us unfortunately

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
OMG your waffle, you did well to finish it 🙊💪
We love Longhorns too, I can’t believe another messed up order for you 🤷🤦
I’ll take note of the steak next time we go & see if I think the same regarding the seasoning 😳😬
At least they didn’t charge for the steak though
It was such a struggle to finish the waffle, but I was determined as it was so good!

It would certainly be interesting to see if others have noticed a change in the steak seasoning at Longhorns. I think we were just unlucky with our orders the first few days... it did get better . It ended up being a bargain, but we would have rather eaten together .

Originally Posted by mick View Post
That was a detour and half😆

Joan
Haha, it certainly was!

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Waffle looks amazing 🤩
It was amazing!

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
Lynda your breakfast choices looked delicious 😋 , Kekes is yet another place on our to visit list
Wow what a drive to get some dinner , love the mash in the USA so creamy 🤗
Xx
Oh, you must visit Keke's Emma, it really is lovely.

I love the mash too - it's always so tasty. Thank goodness, after the drive to get to it

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The banana and cream looks divine at breakfast, no wonder you weren't hungry until later. A shame about the mix up at Longhorn but at least they didn't charge for .Neil's steak. I was hoping you were going to get the loaded potato as thats my favourite there.
The waffles at Keke's are so good, but yes, very filling.

It was nice of them not to charge for the steak, but it would have been nicer to eat dinner together! I just can't see past the mash, I love it. Neil had the loaded potato at another steakhouse later in the trip and said it was amazing.

Originally Posted by Lisa29 View Post
Another day of great looking food. Shame you had another issue again though. I remember from our last trip that the seasoning on the steak was strong, will be disappointing if that is how they all are now x
We seemed to be unlucky with our orders the first few days, it did improve after that thankfully! Maybe they've just cut back on the seasoning? I don't know, but it definitely tasted different to both of us. I definitely want to know if others have noticed it too.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 22, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

2 of our faves! Just booked for October 23 for my 60th so can look at the dibb again!
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List