Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 Jul 22, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
booradley92
Proud to wear my Ears

New York - 1st time with teens

Hi

I’m visiting New York in October for 5 days. This will be my first visit in about 20 years! We’re a family of 4, including 2 teenagers and staying near Times Square . I was hoping for some advice, general thoughts as to what is the best way to book the main attractions ie look at it on a site for site basis or purchase tickets which provide access to multiple sites? Thanks for any feedback!
booradley92 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 22, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by booradley92 View Post
Hi

I’m visiting New York in October for 5 days. This will be my first visit in about 20 years! We’re a family of 4, including 2 teenagers and staying near Times Square . I was hoping for some advice, general thoughts as to what is the best way to book the main attractions ie look at it on a site for site basis or purchase tickets which provide access to multiple sites? Thanks for any feedback!
It might depend on their vaccination status as isn’t New York strict on indoor entry or has all that nonsense been shelved now?
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 22, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Rachv38
Very Serious Dibber

I think they scrapped it, we are also going in Oct half term with 2 teenagers. We've bought the New York explorer pass. Gone for the 7 attractions option. So far I've booked the Empire state building, and the statue of liberty. We are also doing the 9/11 museum. My daughter wants to do the movies /TV coach tour and we are going to do the American history museum.
Rachv38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 22, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

I always recommend The Ride on here,your teens will really enjoy it.
We’ve done it twice and enjoyed it both times.
Tracy x
Old 9 Jul 22, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Im taking two teens (16/17) later this month, for 4 nights, 3 days.
I bought the city pass and my plans are:

Day 1 - do a bus tour from Times square, rent bikes and cycle round Central park. the Edge and maybe the Seaglass carousel
Day 2 - Empire State booked, The Ride (booked), then dinner and Mme Tussauds and Ripleys in Times square
Day 3 - Ferry across to Liberty boat (booked) and then 9/11 memorial museum (booked)
Loads of other stuff that I'd like to do but don't think we will have the time or energy!
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 22, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
It might depend on their vaccination status as isn’t New York strict on indoor entry or has all that nonsense been shelved now?
We were there in April for 5 nights and of all the bars and restaurants we went in only one place asked for a vaccine passport.

OP - one of my favourite 'free' things to do is walk over Brooklyn Bridge. I say 'free' as we tend to pay for the underground to Brooklyn and walk over the bridge towards Manhattan, but it only costs a few $. It is a lovely walk with some great views of the city. There are also some nice food outlets near the start of the bridge in Brooklyn (I highly recommend the Timeout Food Market).

Edited at 05:18 PM.
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 22, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rachv38 View Post
and we are going to do the American history museum.
Just as a heads up, though there are portions dedicated to Native American peoples and local geology/native animals, most of the museum is not American history. This is entire-planet focused on natural history. It's not unlike the Natural History Museum in London, though larger. (It's the largest natural history museum in the world... and I must admit to having spent an entire day here, several times. It's massive, though you can pick and choose your favourite exhibits.)

Don't miss going all the way down to the Hall of Ocean Life and stretching out on the floor under the blue whale. (It's a thing. Ha ha)

Edited at 06:54 PM.
sunshines is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 22, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
I always recommend The Ride on here,your teens will really enjoy it.
We’ve done it twice and enjoyed it both times.
Tracy x
We have never done this. It is now on my list!
Old 9 Jul 22, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
booradley92
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for all the comments, it’s very helpful!
booradley92 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 22, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Brewers
Excited about Disney

We went in June & got very good use out of the NY City pass for multi attractions.

Teens may like a visit to Bushwick, in Brooklyn, quite a trendy, hipster area, the main attraction is there are loads of really cool murals on the outside of buildings (& some delicious food trucks).

Another vote for walking over the Brooklyn bridge to Manhattan - before you do it this way round, check out an area called Dumbo, some great photo opportunities looking across the river to Manhattan.
Brewers is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List