Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 10 Jul 22, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickeymouseears View Post
Wow - that would have been good value! For that kind of money now looks like you can have a look at the train and have a coffee at the train station!
Yes indeed. Reading your post prompted me to dig out the confirmation to check what we had paid. It did seem like so much at the time though.

That holiday was hands down the best we have ever had and probably will ever have. We flew into Calgary and did the RM tour. After a few days in Vancouver we joined our DCL 7 night Alaskan cruise and then flew down to SNA for a 5 night Disney fix before flying home.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

Thanks jocat ! I have read your trip report, I love it. I think that we want to spend most of our time in Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Robson and Jasper / Mount Robson as it looks like to best places, staying for 2 weeks. I used to plan busy itineraries but I have learnt to allow for some free days due to weather / exhaustion / wanting to stay longer somewhere etc. But I can't use my avios as BA don't fly to Calgary so less than half tempted to do a trans Canada trip but I have noticed most people wish they had spent more time in Lake Louise / Banff area.
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
Yes indeed. Reading your post prompted me to dig out the confirmation to check what we had paid. It did seem like so much at the time though.

That holiday was hands down the best we have ever had and probably will ever have. We flew into Calgary and did the RM tour. After a few days in Vancouver we joined our DCL 7 night Alaskan cruise and then flew down to SNA for a 5 night Disney fix before flying home.
Oh wow - what a trip! There are definitely some places that are incredible. Have you been to Iceland?
mickeymouseears is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickeymouseears View Post
Oh wow - what a trip! There are definitely some places that are incredible. Have you been to Iceland?
No, but I would very much like to

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
No, but I would very much like to
We drove around Iceland in September 2021. It's incredible. That is definitely somewhere I would recommend for jaw-dropping landscapes. Looks like being on Mars, Alaska, Canada, Game of Thrones, New Zealand - changes as you drive around.
Old 10 Jul 22, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
millerj
Helping Minnie

4 years ago we did vancouver-Calgary over 2 weeks. 2 nights in Vancouver, a night in kamloops (recommend a stop at the devils ≈≈≈≈ on the way) a night in valemount (went to see bears on the blue river) 3 nights in Jasper (definitely recommend the hike to lake Kinney near mount robson) 2 nights in lake Louise, 3 nights in Banff and then 2 nights Calgary)

Flew with BA, myself DH and DS was 9 at the time and we had a amazing time. Lots of highlights but absolutely do sunshine meadows near Banff, it’s a ski resort but in the summer an amazing place going up on ski lifts the views and walks at the top out of this world and we saw so much wildlife including bears

Trailfinders planned it for us as our first road trip, the year after we did Montreal, Quebec and gaspaie peninsula and booked all myself so would happily do so for the rockies next time.

Happy to offer any other suggestions or help
millerj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouseears
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by millerj View Post
4 years ago we did vancouver-Calgary over 2 weeks. 2 nights in Vancouver, a night in kamloops (recommend a stop at the devils ≈≈≈≈ on the way) a night in valemount (went to see bears on the blue river) 3 nights in Jasper (definitely recommend the hike to lake Kinney near mount robson) 2 nights in lake Louise, 3 nights in Banff and then 2 nights Calgary)

Flew with BA, myself DH and DS was 9 at the time and we had a amazing time. Lots of highlights but absolutely do sunshine meadows near Banff, it’s a ski resort but in the summer an amazing place going up on ski lifts the views and walks at the top out of this world and we saw so much wildlife including bears

Trailfinders planned it for us as our first road trip, the year after we did Montreal, Quebec and gaspaie peninsula and booked all myself so would happily do so for the rockies next time.

Happy to offer any other suggestions or help
I didn't know about the bears / blue river - just looked up blue river safari, wow, looks great. Is this the one you did / what was it like?
Did you mean hell's gate on the way to Kamloops? I can't find anything that starts with the devil's - - - - :-)
Old 10 Jul 22, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
millerj
Helping Minnie

Yes it was the blue river safari - fabulous experience out on a speed boat over the most amazing lakes saw eagles and came across 4 different bears across 2/3 hours

Yes it is hells gate (the river rapids below is the name I remembered) great stop and one of my son’s favourite stops - cable car across the river, lots of history/geography learning, he got to pan for gold and a lovely ice cream place as well as a nice walk over the bridge

Going this way took us north up to mount robson and into Jasper so we could then travel down icefield parkway to lake Louise/ Banff.

We did lots of walking/hiking (4-7 miles at a time) while we were there but make sure you do your homework and go prepared if that’s what you are doing. We had a short wildlife aware session at the mount robson ranger post and though very bear aware while walking never felt unsafe or concerned

Have tried to add some photos but can’t figure out how to so will ask DH later
millerj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 22, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

We did hells gate. The cable car operator heard us chatting (Scottish). Turns out he lived next street to my husband and knew his mum who helped at the local school. He’d been in Canada for nearly 30 years. Summer at hells gate for 4 months then moved to Florida and did 6 months there then 2 months where ever he wanted to go then back to hells gate again !
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 22, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
doublejay
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

My wife and I have a trip planned for this September, can't wait! There is a great 'Banff and jasper national parks' fb page where we have got some great ideas and info from .
Florida pines april 2008

Southern Dunes april 2009
doublejay is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List