Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jul 22, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Seattle to Phoenix Road Trip

So after a few aborted trips to various places we booked flights into Seattle and out of Phoenix for October this year using air miles we’ve saved up. We did look at a few options and have visited SF, Vegas, LA, Yosemite, Sequoia and driven the West Coast before so wanted to see a few places we’ve never seen before.

We took the chance of booking hotels, AirBNB and hire cars early, luckily as they’ve now gone up, and I’m interested to hear any hints and tips from anyone who’s been to any of the places we’re looking to visit. The plan is below and we’re packing a fair bit in but have some longer stops as we go along to allow us some none driving days. These are the stops, we’ve bought the National Parks pass and all accommodation is booked.

Seattle

Issaquah/Snoqualmie falls

Glacier National Park

Yellowstone

Grand Teton

Salt Lake City

Zion National Park

Bryce Canyon

Capitol Reef/Canyonlands

Arches

Monument Valley

Grand Canyon

Sedona - flying out of Phoenix

Any thoughts on must dos and not to be missed greatly appreciated and I’ll look to do a trip report if it helps anyone else who may be thinking about it.

Cheers

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place

Edited at 05:43 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Looking forward to reading your trip report we are hoping to do a similar road trip next September.

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Homer'sWife
Excited about Disney

I’d be interested in a trip report as well. We are hoping to do Phoenix, Monument Valley, Zion Np as part of a road trip we are hoping to do in May next year.
Homer'sWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi just bear in mind snowfall is a possibility in Yellowstone , chains may be needed. Worth checking.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

We visited Yellowstone 3 years ago and went in via the bear tooth pass 11,000 ft , if you can it’s simply awesome. As we descended to the valley floor with a meandering river ahead of us and approx 5/600 buffalo , just needed David Attenborough voice to describe it.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Wow! Epic trip! Youre route looks fascinating. How many days? Definitely interested to read this one.

Check out the report in my signature for Seattle tips, plus we're back there in September at 3rd attempt 😀

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

We did this section in 2014:

Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon
Capitol Reef/Canyonlands
Arches
Monument Valley
Grand Canyon

We’re actually going back to Bryce and Arches next year as we didn’t have a full day in either, and felt we would have liked more time at both.

I would suggest you do the hike that takes you through Wall Street at Bryce, the switchbacks are cool. You can do the loop through Queens Garden, I think it’s called. We want to do this again, but ending at the Wall Street end this time.

We didn’t have time for the Delicate Arch hike last time but are hoping to do it this time, requires an early start though!

We got great food at a place called Oscars just outside Zion, not sure where you’re staying, we stayed nearby at the Hampton Inn. We did the walk to the upper emerald pools at Zion and didn’t think it was worth it, we went in September and the water level was so low. DH isn’t as bothered about visiting again so we might drive past.

We stopped overnight at the Broken Spur Inn & Steakhouse at Torrey, between Bryce and Capitol Reef, I know your accommodation is booked but it was one of the best cooked steaks we’ve ever had. The road between Bryce and Torrey, scenic route 12, was fabulous.

Capitol Reef was a good place to spend an hour or so. The old highway is a sight, we walked part of it.

We only saw part of Canyonlands, we drove up to the point where you can access Mesa Arch/look out across Island in the Sky - it’s such a vast park we didn’t explore the Needles.

We ate fry bread in Monument Valley and enjoyed it. It was v interesting to drive around. From memory the 4 corners monument, where 4 states meet, is also around there somewhere. You have to pay and it was a bit gimmicky but I still got a photo on it.

Edit - sunset at both Bryce and the Grand Canyon was beautiful.

Finally we spent a day in Seattle in 2019 and that’s in one of my trip reports.

Edited at 09:20 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi,
I did the GC and MV in February! I would also suggest you throw in Antlelope Canyon in Page which is between the GC and MV - one of the most amazing experiences for both my son and me.

Sedona - didn’t feel it at all!
Phoenix - we had the first day and last day there. Nice city! Loved the botantical gardens.

I have a trip report - index in my signature. Feel free to ask any questions! But seriously - do consider Page. It is seriously awesome!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

I second Melbatb! We also stayed at Page, did a boat trip on Colorado River from the dam, and then took a hummer to a “secret” slot canyon. Page is also close to Horseshoe Bend.

Edited at 09:48 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 22, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MichelleS View Post
Looking forward to reading your trip report we are hoping to do a similar road trip next September.
Originally Posted by Homer'sWife View Post
I’d be interested in a trip report as well. We are hoping to do Phoenix, Monument Valley, Zion Np as part of a road trip we are hoping to do in May next year.
I'll make sure to do a trip report and post lots of information about what we did, highs and lows to help with any planning

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi just bear in mind snowfall is a possibility in Yellowstone , chains may be needed. Worth checking.
I'd looked and we arrive at Yellowstone towards the end of the season as things start to close for winter - we shouldn;t get snow but I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
We visited Yellowstone 3 years ago and went in via the bear tooth pass 11,000 ft , if you can it’s simply awesome. As we descended to the valley floor with a meandering river ahead of us and approx 5/600 buffalo , just needed David Attenborough voice to describe it.
I'm really looking forward to the Yellowstone part of the trip - a place I've wanted to see for a long time. I'll check out that route too, we drive in from Bozeman so see if it brings us in that way too. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Wow! Epic trip! Youre route looks fascinating. How many days? Definitely interested to read this one.

Check out the report in my signature for Seattle tips, plus we're back there in September at 3rd attempt 😀
21 in total but a few stops of a couple of nights to cut down the drives each day. I'll make sure to read your reports on Seattle too. Hope you enjoy September!

Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
We did this section in 2014:

Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon
Capitol Reef/Canyonlands
Arches
Monument Valley
Grand Canyon

We’re actually going back to Bryce and Arches next year as we didn’t have a full day in either, and felt we would have liked more time at both.

I would suggest you do the hike that takes you through Wall Street at Bryce, the switchbacks are cool. You can do the loop through Queens Garden, I think it’s called. We want to do this again, but ending at the Wall Street end this time.

We didn’t have time for the Delicate Arch hike last time but are hoping to do it this time, requires an early start though!

We got great food at a place called Oscars just outside Zion, not sure where you’re staying, we stayed nearby at the Hampton Inn. We did the walk to the upper emerald pools at Zion and didn’t think it was worth it, we went in September and the water level was so low. DH isn’t as bothered about visiting again so we might drive past.

We stopped overnight at the Broken Spur Inn & Steakhouse at Torrey, between Bryce and Capitol Reef, I know your accommodation is booked but it was one of the best cooked steaks we’ve ever had. The road between Bryce and Torrey, scenic route 12, was fabulous.

Capitol Reef was a good place to spend an hour or so. The old highway is a sight, we walked part of it.

We only saw part of Canyonlands, we drove up to the point where you can access Mesa Arch/look out across Island in the Sky - it’s such a vast park we didn’t explore the Needles.

We ate fry bread in Monument Valley and enjoyed it. It was v interesting to drive around. From memory the 4 corners monument, where 4 states meet, is also around there somewhere. You have to pay and it was a bit gimmicky but I still got a photo on it.

Edit - sunset at both Bryce and the Grand Canyon was beautiful.

Finally we spent a day in Seattle in 2019 and that’s in one of my trip reports.
We've got a couple of nights in Arches and staying in the lodge at Bryce to see the sunset / sunrise so hopefully will be able to see these.

Thanks for all the hints and tips too, really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Hi,
I did the GC and MV in February! I would also suggest you throw in Antlelope Canyon in Page which is between the GC and MV - one of the most amazing experiences for both my son and me.

Sedona - didn’t feel it at all!
Phoenix - we had the first day and last day there. Nice city! Loved the botantical gardens.

I have a trip report - index in my signature. Feel free to ask any questions! But seriously - do consider Page. It is seriously awesome!
I'll read up on the report - I'm going to look at Sedona again (i can cancel the accommodation for free) and did bump off Page to go here but would like to see if I can squeeze in Page too

Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
I second Melbatb! We also stayed at Page, did a boat trip on Colorado River from the dam, and then took a hummer to a “secret” slot canyon. Page is also close to Horseshoe Bend.
Think I do need to look at getting Page into the plan -shame to be so close and miss it out

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List