General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 18 Jul 22, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi Amanda, I’ve only just spotted this but have been follalong on Instagram
Birmingham is our local airport, we like it as compared to many it’s very walkable once your through security
Looking forward to more xx
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 22, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Great pre-travel day! At least you are checked in and ready to go👍🏻

We are off to Italy this summer. O will fly in for a long weekend but we are driving over! Only 4 days of work left before 4 weeks off!
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Hey slipper buddy, good to finally see you back on here! I was beginning to think you were ghosting us all... (look at me with the trendy words, I blame our recent obsession with Catfish on MTV, discovered by accident and now compulsive daily viewing!)

Stay safe out there and have a splendid, if rather alcoholic, break in the sunny Caribbean.
Hello there

Ha ha that’s too funny. I’ve just been really snowed under with stuff for a little while. New slippers were purchased for the trip, naturally

There is some irony that I quaff all these cocktails on holiday and am not really bothered to have a drink at home. I am definitely a holiday drinker

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Hi Amanda, yes all good here thanks. 👍

Has been a busy year! Our daughter got married a few weeks ago and our son proposed to his girlfriend and they’re expecting a baby next month. Exciting, and expensive times! 😂 Lovely to see them both so happy though.
That is all so exciting Jo. So pleased for you all. Such lovely things after recent times. Have you got any upcoming holiday plans?

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
Hi Amanda, I’ve only just spotted this but have been follalong on Instagram
Birmingham is our local airport, we like it as compared to many it’s very walkable once your through security
Looking forward to more xx
Hey there Ha - I’m running out of things for insta already with us not having left the resort in 4 days

Yes we thought Brum was a breeze . Had a really good experience.

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Great pre-travel day! At least you are checked in and ready to go👍🏻

We are off to Italy this summer. O will fly in for a long weekend but we are driving over! Only 4 days of work left before 4 weeks off!
Nice Italy sounds lovely. Whereabouts are you going?
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Hello there

Ha ha that’s too funny. I’ve just been really snowed under with stuff for a little while. New slippers were purchased for the trip, naturally

There is some irony that I quaff all these cocktails on holiday and am not really bothered to have a drink at home. I am definitely a holiday drinker

That is all so exciting Jo. So pleased for you all. Such lovely things after recent times. Have you got any upcoming holiday plans?

Hey there Ha - I’m running out of things for insta already with us not having left the resort in 4 days

Yes we thought Brum was a breeze . Had a really good experience.

Nice Italy sounds lovely. Whereabouts are you going?
To Iseo - a lake between Garda and Como! So looking forward to pizza, pasta and ice cream🤣

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Travel Day. Nice seats with great eats, slow cases and swopping places.

A bit of a restless night. Unlike the Premier Inn rooms which can be very hot, the air con here was super efficient and it was freezing and I hadn’t even got a trusty cardigan with me.

Nor could I work out the blessed controls in the dark so I waited until 6 and had a shower to warm up, being extra sure to make enough noise to wake Andy so he could deal with the pesky refrigeration device.

Very little to pack up so we headed down for Breakfast around 7.30, taking our hand luggage with us. Breakfast had been an extra £10 each and it was a decent offer . Usual hot station, cereals, toast, pastries and a waffle maker.

Not that I made much use of it , I struggle with breakfast on travel day

Mines the feeble effort in case you couldn’t guess

I did wonder if we would walk out to see a long queue stretching round the terminal like in the news reports but no, all quiet at 8.15.

We walked straight through the express security lane. That was a perk of the TUI premium seat booking but actually there was a large party in front of us and normal security was moving just as fast.

I got a bit flustered as they declared my plastic bag of toiletries was too large so I had to split it and as I was doing that they already put through our bags and the tray with our passports, phones and Andy’s watch so he had to nip through to make sure they didn’t go walkabout while I was faffing around. It was probably only two minutes but it feels longer doesn’t it.

Anyway all was good, our bags and bodies all went through scans with no problems or extra probing !

A brief wander through duty free and we were at The No 1 lounge by 8.45. This was another premium perk although the terminal wasn’t overly busy and there were lots of seats and no queues in the shops or restaurants.

And I know it’s not really a perk. The seats had cost a few hundred £ more . We would normally book early enough to get exit row seats but there were none left left for our new date. The seats were a godsend for Andy and his long legs and the service and cabin were very good.

The No1 Lounge is small but nice enough- it’s on two levels.

I had a couple of granny drinks - rose Martini lemonades, nice and refreshing, Andy went for the mosquito prevention tactic of Gin & Tonic

Our gate went from “ ready in 5 minutes” to “Final Call” at 1030 in the space of about 7 minutes .

True to form we were naturally at the furthest gate and a sizeable queue already forming but they were mega fast at scanning the boarding passes.

Boarding started at 1055 and we were impressed with the leg room.

I had been a bit dubious about the middle seat opposite the bulkhead but it was fine and quite roomy. Plus the armrests were double width so no elbow wars needed

It was a shame all the sets of two seats had gone. I miss having a window view on the long flights.

The only annoying thing was that people thought it was ok to step over, or step on our legs and stand right in front of us as a cut through to the loo so as soon as I could put my bag there, I did . It was also a nice leg rest as the one in the seat didn’t quite work for me.

Pre takeoff drinkies duly consumed

and we were pushing back and on our way 20 minutes late at 1120 with the pilot pretty confident we would make up the time.

Ten minutes later and we were away and an 8 hour flight ahead of us.

Barely time to work out what to watch on the admittedly limited IFE and bar service started at 1215. We both went for G&T, confident this would repel all airport mosquitoes at the other end.

Andy opted to watch Cry Macho which had him laughing out loud at some points. I went for WonderWoman 1984 as a bit of fluffy entertainment. Not a big fan of the character, the plot or Gal Gadot but ideal plane viewing requiring very little concentration.

Lunch choices around 2.30 were chicken or beef but no actual description so who knows exactly what beef or chicken dish was going to appear.

I opted for chicken , Andy went for beef

Starters were a mini pitta, quinoa and some hummus. Very nice.

His was Roast beef , mine a Thai green curry

Mine was ok but the lemongrass was overpowering for me so I ate the chicken and rice but left all the greenery

Cheese and biscuits (again with the Boursin airline catering people !) No thanks to garlic breath for the rest of the flight.

Then a really nice and sharp , not too sweet lemon tart and coffee.

It was a decent dinner. Washed down with a white wine as well

And no spillages. Winning.

I’d broken out the traditional new slippers by now and settled in to watch another trashy movie - Aquaman. Very visually appealing but some terrible acting !

The flight felt it was going quite quickly. Probably as they were round with duty free , then a snack cart and then more drinks (around 5pm UK time)

I had a small person on their parents lap behind me and by now the constant kicking and pushing on the back of my seat was wearing thin.

I can see the appeal of those seats with limited recline as they back onto the bulkhead and no one behind you.

Afternoon Tea came out at 6pm and was very nice.

Sandwiches were egg and chive, cream cheese and cucumber and mozzarella with tomato chutney and pesto. Plus a scone - still jam before cream - always

After that it was about 45 minutes before landing. Just at the same time as a couple of smaller flights from the US.

The cabin crew made a point on landing about no food being allowed so a few people had to give up their meal deal sandwiches that they’d brought from the airport. Appaz it’s v strict here on that type of stuff. It suitably terrified me to leave my bag of mints as well.

It was very orderly off the plane and onto the bus and oh my word it was hot!

It was 7.30pm UK time and 2.30pm local time so everything now is on Island time.

It was pretty quick through immigration. They had lots of desks open and just a passport check so everyone was getting through quickly. We did benefit from being in Premium and on the first bus into the hall and were through in 10 minutes .

The bags were slow coming off.

Very slow

I do think the “moving suitcase grab” should be an Olympic Sport for Dads. It’s fascinating to watch.

After an hour, half the flight were still waiting at the carousel.

As everyone slowly got their bags, I began to wonder if ours had made it.

None of this premium bags off first malarkey and we could see other premium cabin peeps still waiting.

We began to think they were coming off in the order people checked in.

Which would make ours the last

And so it was, 90 minutes after landing the last two bags to appear were ours.

Imagine getting your cases early and then having to sit on the bus all that time waiting for everyone else to get theirs - I’m not sure which wait would be worse.

There was then a bit of confusion as they scan your cases as you exit the airport so another queue . Ugh.

But then somewhat randomly half the queue were split - half went for bag screen and we got waved straight through in a different group.

Past all the meet and greet and on to the rep (we were now in fact not the last out, as others were still stuck in the bag screen queue) . He told us our hotel was the 4th stop for the bus so Andy asked him to get us a taxi instead, and take us off the bus list.

All sorted and in a taxi for $40.

It’s about 30 minutes - not very scenic - lots of building work .
A few pics - angled to make them a bit more arty

So we arrived at the hotel around 5pm and well ahead of the bus for which we were very grateful. We saw them come in about an hour after us …..

The following day we heard an American lady say it had taken 3 hours from landing to arriving at the hotel which would have been similar if we’d got the bus. So be warned. It’s a slow transit process !

All checked in and so far liking the hotel

but not wowed when we first saw our room.

The resort is an older one and a bit tired in places. It’s impeccably clean but in need of some TLC.

We’d opted for the standard garden room thinking that we wouldn’t be in it much. Andy had stayed in one in Costa Rica a couple of years ago and it had been lovely. But on reflection, that was a much newer hotel.

The room was more basic and “well loved”, as all good second hand ebay sellers say, than we expected.

I got half unpacked but neither of us were overly happy and decided we’d go for a drink and think about what to do.

Of course hotel rooms have wear and tear but to come all this way and have a room where some drawers don’t open as they are broken, you can’t plug in the coffee maker unless you put it on the floor as the lead is too short and the furniture is scratched and falling apart just isn’t our idea of a 4* plus experience.

The hotel is apparently due for a refurb in the autumn and that room looked like they need it.

Determined not start off with disappointment, we headed to the bar and made a start on the cocktail menu.

Whilst both appearing to look like fairy liquid, they were very refreshing

Andy spoke to reception and decided we would upgrade to a suite. We’d got what we had booked, but we didn’t like it so completely our choice to upgrade.

The new room was only a couple of doors along but a corner suite with two balconies. It was easy enough to move our stuff over in a couple of trips.

Now this was an altogether different room. Still could do with finishing touches like decent lamps and a coffee maker that doesnt require “jiggling” to work but so much nicer.

I’m glad we changed - the extra space has been nice and we’ve already spent a lot of time on the balcony. We can see the ocean in the distance and it’s fabulous in the early mornings and afternoons listening to the birds and being cool away from the heat and noise by the pool. This is a perfect spot.

Trip advisor is overall positive about the hotel but recently there are more and more comments about the rooms and I can see why.

For the short stay guests - (of which it seems there are a lot as it was very busy at the weekend with groups and is much quieter now) who party hard and just crash out, maybe they don’t really unpack and it wouldn’t bother them.

I finished the unpacking and headed down to meet Andy. It was getting close to 8pm local time and almost 1am at home. We weren’t sure if we wanted anything to eat but went to check out the buffet restaurant.

Far too peoply for me in my tired state and I’m useless with buffets at the best of times let alone after being up for 18 hours

I took a few pics but it was too busy and after surveying a mountain of food the best I could do was

Yes a slice of plain pizza.

And a few deserts

The crème caramel was delicious, the cheesecake a bit bland and the mousse thing a bit too sweet

We were beat now and headed to bed. Just after 8.30 pm here and 1.30 at home.

Better buffet skills needed tomorrow!

WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

Hi and so good to read one of your reports again! I’ll be following along, but I’m sorry to hear that you’ve not been well. Hopefully now you’re back to full strength and poised to act as Dibb Cocktail Guinea Pig?
Surely luggage carousel lottery is a sport for all the family though?!
Anyhow its good to read of your new adventures.
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Ooh! Been seeing your cocktails on insta so I’m delighted to find an accompanying trippie!

So sorry to hear you’ve been having a rough time and I hope this holiday is just what you need. We’ve been in similar circumstances with tough times and the cruise we just had really was a godsend and we both feel so much better for it.

Excellent choice on your room upgrade and seems it will make a huge difference having that lovely balcony. Looking forward to reading about more rest relaxation and cocktails for you x

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Great travel day. Your new upgraded room and balcony look lovely. Have enjoyed seeing your cocktails on IG & whatsapp and looking forward to reading more. Love your style of writing!

M x
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 22, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Looks like a good move upgrading! I would have done the same a smooth travel day xx
Cutiepie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 22, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

woohoo a cocktail report (and food as well obviously) looking forward to seeing what delights you have, the balcony looks amazing, great space to chill out! hope you both have a great time

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour
2025- Seville

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List