Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Jul 22, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsnicola
Very Serious Dibber

Tell me about Boston

Hi we are booked to go to Boston end of October I want to do some planning what to see/what not to bother/what not to miss. Eats/drinks and tips would be fab. 2 adults and a 15 year old can’t wait 😉😉 xx
mrsnicola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
L&R Dreaming have recently been to Boston and their vlogs are on YouTube so it might be worth having a look at them
Old 25 Jul 22, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Love Boston! we went for New year 2017/18 and also December 2021.

Last December we did the boat trip, Fenway park (defo worth it) the trolley tour (had a 2 day on off pass), ate lots from Quincy market, walked everywhere (great city for walking) did the freedom trail, walked along the seaport, did the public gardens /common. Tried to go ice skating but the rink had melted due to unseasonable hot weather!

we did that the previous time and also visited the old state house and the USS Constitution (Old iron sides)
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MissBianca
VIP Dibber

I'd echo CarsonMac's comments, Boston is a great city for walking. We went in Aug 2018 and would definitely recommend. We did all of the above plus the JFK museum, Salem, Back bay, Downtown crossing (shopping) the Aquarium, Whale watching, prudential centre, Harvard. We combined it with a week in Cape Cod and a visit to Marthas vineyard, jaws bridge etc.
So much to do. My kids at the time were 10,11 and 21 and there was something for all of them. Happy planning
MissBianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MissBianca View Post
I'd echo CarsonMac's comments, Boston is a great city for walking. We went in Aug 2018 and would definitely recommend. We did all of the above plus the JFK museum, Salem, Back bay, Downtown crossing (shopping) the Aquarium, Whale watching, prudential centre, Harvard. We combined it with a week in Cape Cod and a visit to Marthas vineyard, jaws bridge etc.
So much to do. My kids at the time were 10,11 and 21 and there was something for all of them. Happy planning
Oh yes I forgot, Harvard is worth a visit too!
And Salem, we went there on our first night when it was getting dark but seemed like an interesting place. Would go back in the day time if we return at some point!
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We were there for a day only in 2018. We visited the old naval sailing ship, walked around the city and did the bus tour which was great, then went to cheesecake factory and the heavens opened - so we headed back to train.

We were staying in Nantasket beach resort to the South - we loved the area up there - was fabulous.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

There is a link from my signature to my Boston trip report in 2019. That should cover everything we did, where we ate etc. It is all on the one thread.

We had 3 days there. We were Husband, Wife and boys of 16 and 13 at the time.

The Freedom trail covers the History bit nicely. It is around 3 miles from start to finish. For me, it is the most important ‘must do’ in the City. It is 3 miles from start to finish and you simply follow a red line on the floor.

Whale watching off Stellwagen Bank . You go down river to get out to sea and in so doing, they tell you what you are seeing.

Boston Park is the start of the Freedom trail, home of both the Cheers Bar and the State House.
USS Constitution is the end of the trail and from there, you can get a water taxi back to downtown.

You can have a Tea Party and sling some tea over the side of the ship.

You can go on an evening Harbour Cruise. (This was really good)

It truly is a fantastic city… from a man who dislikes cities. The city is very compact and very much one for walking. Even the airport is a short taxi ride.

Edited at 05:11 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Definitely agree that Boston is entirely walkable, plus it has an excellent underground - the T - which is similar to London. You don't need a car at all in Boston.

I'd add the view from the Prudential Tower, the Kennedy museum and Canolis in the Italian quarter, preferably from Modern Bakery! Your teenager would probably appreciate Newbury Comics near Quincy Market - a real Tardis of a place and so interesting for anyone who likes TV, movies, music and gaming.

Trip report link in signature if you fancy a read.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Wishtogoback
Excited about Disney

I’ve been 3 times, twice for work and once on holiday. I have never taken to it for some reason!
Things I’ve done;
Harvard, Salem, Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall, Cheers bar, Canoli’s from the original cannoli place, Tea party.

As everyone has said it is walkable but remember it is a major city and priced food wise accordingly.
We ate in Cheesecake Factory which was fab and Faneuil Hall has lots of food stalls which are amazing.

Everyone tells me they love it so I’m not sure what’s wrong with me
Wishtogoback is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 22, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

We go end of October too and I am so excited. We are going to head to Salem for an afternoon and across to Harvard as well. Just generally going to take in the walking tour and all the history there as well as a wee visit to Cheers. Cant wait
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List