Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 29 Jul 22, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Smooth buttercream

Any professional bakers have a fool proof smooth buttercream recipie please? Over the years I've chopped and changed which one i use. Ive gone from having tiny lumps of butter that just won't go to loads of air bubbles to not smooth enough to pipe/spread.
Always have butter at room temperature and always sieve the icing sugar. I prefer the taste of cream cheese frosting but its not always what I want to use. Started following a few baking schools on Instagram and they often will put a reel up but no recipie unless you pay. Just found the one from Reva (American) who uses liquid pasteurised egg whites. Made my own meringue buttercream before and not keen on the texture.
Old 29 Jul 22, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I use 50:50 actual butter and icing sugar. I may add a little more icing sugar during warmer months.
I only use Silverspoon icing sugar because I find all others gritty. I mix for a good 3-4 mins in a stand mixer then add cooled melted chocolate, curd, vanilla pods etc to flavour

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973

Edited at 03:52 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Used to do cakes professionally- my go to buttercream is 2:1 - icing sugar to butter. I usually beat the butter really well for a few minutes until light and fluffy before adding icing sugar and any flavourings.
However I have seen lots of reels recently on changes to buttercream type icings so wouldn’t claim to be up to date with modern methods. There could be better options out there but mine always works for me.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
Used to do cakes professionally- my go to buttercream is 2:1 - icing sugar to butter. I usually beat the butter really well for a few minutes until light and fluffy before adding icing sugar and any flavourings.
However I have seen lots of reels recently on changes to buttercream type icings so wouldn’t claim to be up to date with modern methods. There could be better options out there but mine always works for me.
I use this as well, especially if putting in a liquid flavouring, vanilla, lemon etc.
Seems foolproof, never had it go wrong.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

This is what I have always done too and it’s served me well. I bake semi professionally. Using butter with a high fat content (Kerrigold is my go to) and a decent stand mixer like a KitchenAid also helps massively.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane23
Trying for More Ears

I would recommend Cupcake Jemma - she has a YouTube channel where she does tutorials. Really helpful to watch someone else doing it. All recipes are provided in the video description.
Jane23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Jane23 View Post
I would recommend Cupcake Jemma - she has a YouTube channel where she does tutorials. Really helpful to watch someone else doing it. All recipes are provided in the video description.
Sorry OP, totally off topic but her cinnamon rolls are almost exactly the same as those in Gaston’s - we did the taste test last week. 😀
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
I bake a lot of things from cupcake Gemma janes patisserie and hummingbird. The Swiss meringue buttercream i did from cupcake Gemma wasn't great. Not sure if it was the butter the icing sugar or how long i whisked if for in my kitchenaid. The reels ive been watching all suggest different things. The last big batch I made was full of bubbles so not a great result on a celebration cake. Loads of the American bakers suggest half salted half unsalted butter and blend for 15-20 mins, ive never done it that long. Some also suggest getting butter with a lower fat content. I watched harrys bakes (uk) the other day and he says never a 2:1 ratio which is what I always do. Not had much luck with aldi butter either. Maybe I'm watching too much 🤣
I've got a cupcake and iced biscuit order to do next week so hopefully the buttercream behaves 🤣

Edited at 06:44 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 22, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Sorry OP, totally off topic but her cinnamon rolls are almost exactly the same as those in Gaston’s - we did the taste test last week. 😀
Not done CJ recipe yet but the hummingbird ones are great too.
Old 29 Jul 22, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
I bake a lot of things from cupcake Gemma janes patisserie and hummingbird. The Swiss meringue buttercream i did from cupcake Gemma wasn't great. Not sure if it was the butter the icing sugar or how long i whisked if for in my kitchenaid. The reels ive been watching all suggest different things. The last big batch I made was full of bubbles so not a great result on a celebration cake. Loads of the American bakers suggest half salted half unsalted butter and blend for 15-20 mins, ive never done it that long. Some also suggest getting butter with a lower fat content. I watched harrys bakes (uk) the other day and he says never a 2:1 ratio which is what I always do. Not had much luck with aldi butter either. Maybe I'm watching too much 🤣
I’ve not watched much of cupcake Jemma but just looked her up on YouTube and her recipe for the perfect buttercream is exactly what I do? Give it a try.

Edited at 06:47 PM.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List