Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Aug 22, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Alfiesmum
Excited about Disney

24 Hours In New York

We’re flying home from Orlando at the end on August via NYC with a 24 hr layover. Has anybody done this before? I’d be grateful for any advice as as haven’t really thought about this part of our trip at all. I haven’t even booked a hotel for the night yet! Does anybody have advice on budget accommodation for a night? TIA
Alfiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

I guess it depends what time you’ll arrive. But it might be easier to get a hotel at the airport, so you can leave your luggage there without taking it into the city. It’s really easy to get from the airport into the centre by train.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

I would do the TWA hotel because I think it looks amazing. Then take the subway into the city if you want. Hotel prices are high for late August though so I’d get something sorted as soon as you can.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Alfiesmum
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the useful tips; unfortunately I can’t book an airport hotel as we fly into LaGuardia 31/8 approx 5pm and out through JFK the following day around the same time.

What is the TWA hotel? I’ve looked at hotel prices for NYC and they are rather pricey, I found a comparatively reasonable price for the Rowe which looks ok. Last time I was here was about 10 years ago. I’m looking forward to showing my son around a few sights.
Alfiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Correct me if I'm wrong, OP, but I think what you mean is that you want to disembark the plane, take transportation into the center of Manhattan, and spend the next 20 hours or so in the center of Manhattan (including hotel)? You'll have several inexpensive transportation options from LGA into the center of Manhattan, but it'll be pricier to head to JFK the next day, so budget for that. Hotels in the center of Manhattan will also be pricier. Check out The Blakely (just on the south side of Central Park) and The Chelsea Inn Hotel near the Flatiron Building. Good luck.
Old 6 Aug 22, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
I would do the TWA hotel because I think it looks amazing. Then take the subway into the city if you want. Hotel prices are high for late August though so I’d get something sorted as soon as you can.
Just as a heads up for those considering doing this, there is no direct subway from JFK into Manhattan. Closest thing to "take the subway" is to take the Airtrain at the airport and then change to the subway in either Howard Beach or Jamaica depending on which subway line you want (may include a bit of a walk). A more comfortable option would be to take the LIRR from Jamaica into Penn Station. Total for the journey is probably about $12-$16 a person each way. Keep in mind that for those not familiar with the route (and with luggage) it might be considered a bit of a faff. But also keep in mind that many New Yorkers would do this transfer without a second thought (although if you have more than carry on luggage this wouldn't be popular even with NYers). Have fun.
Old 6 Aug 22, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Cost us about $60 or maybe $70 for a taxi from Manhattan to La Guardia if that helps with costing. Sorry can’t help with hotel but if you stay near midtown you are close to lots of things including the Empire State Building, Times Square and Central Park.
I’d definitely recommend Ellen’s stardust diner for breakfast.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alfiesmum View Post
What is the TWA hotel? I’ve looked at hotel prices for NYC and they are rather pricey, I found a comparatively reasonable price for the Rowe which looks ok. Last time I was here was about 10 years ago. I’m looking forward to showing my son around a few sights.
The TWA hotel is the former terminal for the TWA airline located right in the JFK airport. It is on the pricey side, but I did get to stay in it one night as a special treat. It was unique, but a one-and-done for me.

The ROW looks like a good option if you want to be in Times Square.

Have fun.
Old 7 Aug 22, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Alfiesmum
Excited about Disney

I looked up the TWA it looks great! Unfortunately not really suited to our needs though.
Old 7 Aug 22, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Alfiesmum
Excited about Disney

I’ve booked a hotel in Chelsea called the Hyatt which looks good. I like the location and it was an ok price for what you get. The accommodation in NYC is definitely on the pricey side, then they add on all sorts of taxes. This makes it hard to work out the true costs.
We’re using subway to get from/to airport and Manhattan. It seems pretty straightforward and we’ve done it before from/to JFK on the sky train.
Got there in the end thanks for the advice.