Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Aug 22, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour

Hi Guys

Can people give me their opinions about the best companies for helicopter tours over the Grand Canyon please? From research the two main companies are Papillon and Maverick?

I went with Papillon about 10 years ago which included a landing in the canyon but the price has about doubled since then! For me I’ve done it once and didn’t plan on doing it again but my girlfriend has it on her bucket list and insists on doing it.

Looking at about the $1000 range for two so wanted to get it right! I have a car if there’s a saving to be made on the shuttle but I think you have to pay car entry so it doesn’t work out much cheaper

Is the sunset tour worth the extra money and also not bothered about a LV strip flyover

Edited at 05:15 PM.
Aearin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Wow that's a lot of $s . We did this around 7 years ago and it was amazing but so is the Skywalk over the canyon which we are doing this month by driving from Las Vegas, also the Canyon can be accessed by the train from Williams which we are also doing. There is also a bus tour from Vegas which takes in the Hoover Dam on route to the skywalk - it's a very long day though with an early start.

It depends if the helicopter is the attraction or the canyon itself.
Old 4 Aug 22, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

Yeah it’s not ideal! I paid $264 back in 2011 and it’s around $475-500 for the same tour now!

For her it’s the helicopter experience as she’s never been in one and it’s the ultimate way to experience the Grand Canyon.

I have looked at the skywalk but that’s very expensive in itself for what it is
Aearin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We are driving to the south rim and staying overnight at bright angel lodge. I am scared of going in a helicopter and the price put my tight DH off anyway and this way we get more time and can see the sunset and the sunrise.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

I really want to visit the south rim but it’s quite the trek. I plan on doing that along with monument valley on a future Route 66 trip
Old 4 Aug 22, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

We did a Papillon flight about 16 years ago. We landed in the Canyon and went to a ranch for a cowboy breakfast, followed by horse riding (walking) along a trail. We flew over Hoover Dam too and it was a wonderful trip. Sorry, I can't remember the cost.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
We are driving to the south rim and staying overnight at bright angel lodge. I am scared of going in a helicopter and the price put my tight DH off anyway and this way we get more time and can see the sunset and the sunrise.
Exactly what we are doing, but staying at Yavapai Lodge in order to see Sunset and Sunrise before moving on.

Having been a Helicopter Technician for 12 years and flown at least once a week for pretty much all the last 9 years of it, I can think of better ways to spend $1000. Everything has a value or in my case for this one.. or otherwise. I will spend the $1000 wisely and elsewhere.

AERIN.. We are driving, driving from SL Obispo, overnighting Barstow, 2 nights Vegas, 1 night Yavapai, then on down the 566, cutting at Winslow down to Tucson. We are incorporating the Hoover Dam and Canyon, rather than doing a return journey from anywhere.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:36 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 22, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

We did the tour with papillon in 2016 and it was undoubtedly the highlight (other than our wedding ). We landed for a picnic then flew back over the canyon as the sun was setting - spectacular! I think we paid around £400 each but it’s something we’ll never forget.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
jvm32
Trainee Dibber

I've went with both Papillon and Maverick in the past 5 years or so and both as good as each other, wouldn't have a preference one over the other.
jvm32 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List