Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Aug 22, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Riga, Latvia - definitely recommend!

Just back from a week in Riga, Latvia and it was great, definitely recommend it.

Ryanair have just started flying there from Newcastle so we took a punt on it. Went for a full week, 2 adults and kids aged 16 and 12 and there was enough to keep us occupied, or it would make a lovely short break for couples/friends. Lots of squares in the old town with places to eat and drink, and beautiful buildings.

Our week looked like this
Friday - we arrived early afternoon, room not ready so left bags at hotel (Wellton Riverside hotel and spa, great hotel for location, family room was 2 interconnecting so loads of space, good breakfast although it was busy if you went late, nice pool/spa but need to pay extra unless you book more expensive rate) and went for a wander around the old town. Checked in, unpacked, dinner in the square nearest to our hotel.

Sat - train to Sigulda where we went to Tarzans for high ropes, mountain coaster, downhill donuts etc then visited the castle.

Sun - HOHO bus around Riga, 2 routes plus we did canal and river boat cruise. Pictures from the more modern part, view from top of Radisson Blu hotel and Russian orthodox cathedral.

Floating sauna/hot tub evening trip (the only part of the holiday I wouldn’t recommend as it didn’t look as nice as the website photos)

Mon - rain so we went to hotel pool/spa then shopping at the shopping centre near the railway station.

Tue - private tour to Bauskas castle, Rundale palace, Lithuania border crossing, Hill of Crosses and Siauliai for late lunch.

Wed - train to Jurmala for paddle boarding on the river then afternoon on the beach.

Thur - all about the Holocaust with taxi (used Bolt, like Uber and super easy) to Salaspils memorial, Rumbula Forest Memorial, Riga Holocaust museum.

Fri - travel home

All in all a fab time, beautiful place and easy to get around on trains, bolt taxis or walking. Only downside, no dibbing as IP address in Latvia was blocked due to spam!

Edited at 07:56 PM.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DD and DSIL are there at the moment. It looks great
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

It is over 20 years since I went to Latvia way before they came into the EU .
We remember lots of young people trying their English out on us and the hotel being like The most basic youth hostel ever ( they turned the hot water off at night )

Your pictures look lovely and I would love to go back , I have a photo taken in front of the cathedral in about two foot of snow 😃the hill of crosses looks fascinating.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
It is over 20 years since I went to Latvia way before they came into the EU .
We remember lots of young people trying their English out on us and the hotel being like The most basic youth hostel ever ( they turned the hot water off at night )

Your pictures look lovely and I would love to go back , I have a photo taken in front of the cathedral in about two foot of snow 😃the hill of crosses looks fascinating.
Sounds interesting! Everything is in Latvian, English and Russian now and the hotel/restaurant staff all just switch between the languages no problem.
We had lovely weather, didn’t realise their summers were so warm. Would like to see it over Christmas time, I bet they dress the squares beautifully.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List