Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Aug 22, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
We are here for a month and I feel short changed. DH is with O2. Doesn’t have to pay anything extra. DS13 is with Three. He somehow doesn’t have to pay anything extra either. DS16is with EE - his is £10 bolt on which I think is great value. He has had the best access to the internet and has had access to 5G for most of the holiday. I’m with Sky and it’s costing £2 a day. Most days I have it switched off so as not to get charged because £2 a day doesn’t seem a lot but it adds up if you’re away for a while and yesterday even though I switched data roaming on, it still wasn’t great.
That’s so interesting thank you.

As I always say, EE and Vodafone may charge the most but they have better roaming speeds and coverage. I didn’t know EE had 5G out there so I’ll update the Roaming pages

Disney Land... Disney Land Paris
May14, Sep15... Mar17
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie2010
Imagineer

minnie2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm sorry to ask what I'm sure will be a silly question. Not very phone savvy and don't really understand it all.

I'm with three and not prepared to pay £5 a day for data.

Do I have any other option. I've read about buying another SIM card to get data? but I really don't understand how that would work.
minnie2010 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
fleurbie
Apprentice Imagineer

I have a question about PAYG
I have a contract with Tesco and they don’t offer any add on’s as far as a can see, so I have an old I phone 7 that is unlocked so thought I’d get a PAYG sim, I only really want it for internet if I need an Uber if away from Wi-Fi connection. Or around the parks when the Wi-Fi is not so good.
I don’t want to make calls as will call through what’s ap on Wi-Fi if needed
I have an IPhone 12 now and read I can use a dual sim with that but I am worried I’d forget what one I was using?
Any advice greatly received 😀
Nov 19 CBR, September 22 BRV, BWV 💕
fleurbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Originally Posted by minnie2010 View Post
I'm sorry to ask what I'm sure will be a silly question. Not very phone savvy and don't really understand it all.

I'm with three and not prepared to pay £5 a day for data.

Do I have any other option. I've read about buying another SIM card to get data? but I really don't understand how that would work.
Speak to Three to confirm what your options are. If you’ve had your tariff for 2+ years you may be on one that has roaming included.

The alternative is that you could buy a Pay As You Go SIM card and Add On that allows you to use your phone in the USA for no extra cost.

To use this you’d have to take out your current SIM and use the Pay As You Go one. But this would come with a different phone number of course

May14, Sep15... Mar17
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Originally Posted by fleurbie View Post
I have a question about PAYG
I have a contract with Tesco and they don’t offer any add on’s as far as a can see, so I have an old I phone 7 that is unlocked so thought I’d get a PAYG sim, I only really want it for internet if I need an Uber if away from Wi-Fi connection. Or around the parks when the Wi-Fi is not so good.
I don’t want to make calls as will call through what’s ap on Wi-Fi if needed
I have an IPhone 12 now and read I can use a dual sim with that but I am worried I’d forget what one I was using?
Any advice greatly received 😀
So if I understand you have two phones - an iPhone 7 and an iPhone 12. And you’re thinking to add a Three Pay as You Go sim to the iPhone 7 purely for data usage?

Or alternatively as you’ve got an iPhone 12 you have heard you could use its dual sim technology to have a second SIM for roaming in the USA.

So the first option of adding a SIM to your iPhone 7 is a great idea - a device dedicated to your data use!

For Dual SIM, I don’t know too much but essentially your phone can have two tariffs from different networks. At the moment one would be from a physical SIM card, the other would be an eSIM (a virtual SIM card) or you can have two nano SIMs. Soon all phones will only have eSIMs as it reduces waste.

It’s relatively new for the UK still and I can see Three don’t support them! Vodafone does, I’ve not checked the others.
Switching between the SIMs would be done via the settings. I can imagine it’s straightforward but I’ve never done it.

May14, Sep15... Mar17

Edited at 11:09 PM.
Old 9 Aug 22, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Why not just pick up an unlimited (or high allowance) Sim card in the airport or Walmart?

You can generally find one with 40gb (including a first month bonus of usually around 25gb and free calls to UK) for about $20.

Then add it as a second Sim and go into phone settings and switch the phone so it defaults to the new SIM for calls/texts/data

You can still receive calls on your UK number but make them on the US one

Anyone paying more than about £10 a month to use their UK phone in the US is wasting money
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List