Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Aug 22, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
KezL
Trying for More Ears

We’ve got $900 in cash and the rest is on Halifax clarity card. I will ensure we have cash for restaurants, petrol and tips and everything else will go on the car.
KezL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Spadge64
Proud to wear my Ears

Quite a few people have said they use cash for fuel. Is this just personal preference or is there a more complex reason for this? Going shortly and fuel was one of the main things I was going to put on credit card as I've done in the past so just interested! Thanks
Spadge64 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Spadge64 View Post
Quite a few people have said they use cash for fuel. Is this just personal preference or is there a more complex reason for this? Going shortly and fuel was one of the main things I was going to put on credit card as I've done in the past so just interested! Thanks
This thread touches on one of the main reasons

https://DIBB.in/15582241

Mick
Old 9 Aug 22, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Spadge64 View Post
A few years ago, I believe it was commented here that there had been a spate of unauthorised transactions at certain gas stations across Florida, I don’t know if it has happened in recent years, but we have stuck with paying for fuel in cash.
Edited to add Mick may have beat me to it
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
steruth
VIP Dibber

I was just going to ask the same re fuel stations and cards ..can you not still go inside use card and then fuel. I think I used my card a few times I. 2019 at fuel stations? I was just going to take a round 250 in cash for tips rest on starling/chase or Monzo suppose could just put fuel on one account each time need to fill up that way , that way if nothing in account they can't take anything and use that card solely for fuel xx
Old 9 Aug 22, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by steruth View Post
I was just going to ask the same re fuel stations and cards ..can you not still go inside use card and then fuel. I think I used my card a few times I. 2019 at fuel stations? I was just going to take a round 250 in cash for tips rest on starling/chase or Monzo suppose could just put fuel on one account each time need to fill up that way , that way if nothing in account they can't take anything and use that card solely for fuel xx
You can or use your accommodation zip at the pump . Yet to get skimmed in over 40 years of travelling and using my then access card (flexible friend) now Amex /watch far more chance of it happening at an ATM in UK so I dont take cash out either
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
steruth
VIP Dibber

Thanks I think there are obviously higher risk places using cards but I barely use cash. Will just keep on the of the cards empty and only load with amount I intend to fuel to be safe xx
Old 9 Aug 22, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ellie666 View Post
in the old days we all used to take Travellers Cheques and cash but obviously with so many debit and credit cards giving better exchange rates and fee-less do we think it's still worth taking some plain old cash with?

I'm thinking a couple of hundred $$$ to allow for tips or simpler smaller purchases.

what do you guys think?
We only take about $50 in cash, using cards for pretty much everything now.
So what you are proposing sounds pretty sensible to me 👍

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
ellie666
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks, most of you, for your thoughts, very helpful
Orlando (No Disney apart from MNSSHP) - 2022
Disneyland Mars (Green Lagoon) - 2038
ellie666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 02:23 AM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

Definitely can’t use Revelout or other international pre loaded cards in the self serve in Walmart, can use on normal tills, but tonight 2 of our party took over 40 minutes to get served. Luckily I had some cash to pay with on the self serve. Everywhere else has been fine.
Other place where they only took cash was the Gideons up near Altamonte springs.
So I recommend a mixture.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List