Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 22, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
I really don't understand all the angst about hand luggage weight limuts

The majority of airlines have a limit of 10kg which is only 3 bags of sugar more than the quoted Aer Lingus limit of 7kg. That's not really a lot more.

British Airways seems to be the exception as their hand baggage limit is 23kg.
It’s not the weight it’s the size as it’s much smaller and doesn’t really allow for the normal wheely cabin bags. It means it’s the small rucksack type which aren’t great for the packing clothes in (for me anyway)
Old 10 Aug 22, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Like others have said its not really the weight its the actual size of the bag allowed. I fly the Dublin to Bristol route and again its an Aer Lingus Regional.

The planes are propeller planes with 20 rows of two seats at each side. Its not just the over head bins that are smaller, the underseat area is smaller too.

They are very strict on weight limits due to the size of the plane.

Even boarding and getting off has to be done differently. There is just one passenger door, at the back of the plane. When the properly trained Aer Lingus staff do the boarding, they will board rows 1 to 10 first. These are at the front of the plane. They they will board rows 10 to 20, the middle to the back of the plane.

If too many people bunch up at the entrance at the back of the plane, the plane can tip. I've been on one where you could feel it start to tip and the flight crew are quickly on to it and managing where people are in the plane.

The same at landing. They will make an announcement for rows 1 to 10 to stay seated until the people at the back have got off.

This is what the planes look like

Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
The waltons
Excited about Disney

The waltons's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You wouldn’t be a regional flight they are to the very small airports .
Old 10 Aug 22, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by The waltons View Post
You wouldn’t be a regional flight regional flights are the internal flights between counties
Thats not true. I have been flying the Aer Lingus regional route from Dublin to Bristol since about 2013 as my sister lives in Wiltshire.

The Aer Lingus regional routes used to be operated by Stobart but now they are operated by Emerald Airlines.

Due to the common travel agreement between UK and Republic of Ireland, flights between the two countries are classed as domestic. When you land at a UK airport on a flight from Ireland, you go into the airport building through the same way as you would if you came from Manchester or Edinburgh.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jonsgirl80 View Post
Yes I get that a smaller plane obviously means less space for luggage but I can’t find any confirmation of which plane type is going to be used for which route 🤷
Try seat guru.com
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by The waltons View Post
You wouldn’t be a regional flight they are to the very small airports .
Last time I flew to Manchester with AL it was the small turbo prop.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
SamH88
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
It’s not the weight it’s the size as it’s much smaller and doesn’t really allow for the normal wheely cabin bags. It means it’s the small rucksack type which aren’t great for the packing clothes in (for me anyway)
You’d be surprised how much you can fit in a backpack, especially when it’s stuff like shorts and T-shirts rather than jeans and jumpers. You could even vacuum pack stuff to make more room.

The backpack I use for work is around the dimensions allowed on regional flights and has a capacity of 26 litres but only weights 700g.

Edited at 09:31 AM.
SamH88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SamH88 View Post
You’d be surprised how much you can fit in a backpack, especially when it’s stuff like shorts and T-shirts rather than jeans and jumpers. You could even vacuum pack stuff to make more room.

The backpack I use for work is around the dimensions allowed on regional flights and has a capacity of 26 litres but only weights 700g.
I’ve yet to pack clothes in a backpack that don’t come out totally creased though. I’m going to have to put some in, although I’m hoping going via Dublin we’ve got more chance of our suitcases getting there than going via heathrow.
Old 10 Aug 22, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
SamH88
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
I’ve yet to pack clothes in a backpack that don’t come out totally creased though. I’m going to have to put some in, although I’m hoping going via Dublin we’ve got more chance of our suitcases getting there than going via heathrow.
I always iron on holiday anyway because I can’t stand creased clothes. Even if I put them in a normal suitcase they’re too creased for me.

Rolling them rather than folding before putting into a backpack sometimes helps with creases.
SamH88 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
kzrr02
Very Serious Dibber

Hi. We’re traveling from Edinburgh to Mco via Dublin. Our plane has now changed from the turbo prop to the A320 going out. Will I be allowed to take a usual size cabin case or will it just be a backpack size ?
kzrr02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List