Notices

Old 18 Jun 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Special 60th to New York - September 2017

Hi all,

This is my first foray into the world of trip reports outside of WDW. It'll certainy be one with a difference.

To start with, they'll only be two of us on this trip, myself and DH.

The reason behind the trip is that DH is 60 in September, and we've always wanted to go to New York - we've only fleetingly stepped outside the airport previously.

Before I go any further, I'll quote myself from the conclusion to the trip report of our family holiday to WDW last year.

I have a visit to Dubai booked for the end of this month with my mum (87!), and DH and I are going to New York in September to celebrate his 60th birthday. We've been wanting to go there for years!

And in between that the kids have said that they want to come on holiday with us, especially if we pay! I'm currently looking at a week end of July / beginning of August in Spain / Balearics / Canaries / Itely / Portugal or Greece. I really need to narrow it down

So my life is mainly taken up with arranging holidays with a bit of work inbetween occasionally Just the way I like it.

I did indeed go on that trip to Dubai with my mother, but whilst there at around 2pm one afternoon I received a phone call from one of my neighbours - 'It's nothing to worry about, but Rob's in an ambulance on his way to hospital! '.

After many frantic phone calls to the neighbours and the children who were with him at the hospital it turns out he has had a stroke.

I got on the next plane home (3am the following morning) - the worst flight of my life I have to say - and arrived back at my house at 9am following the longest day of my life and certainly the biggest phone bill!

Just over 3 months down the line, DH has just been given the OK to start driving again and we are stating to plan for his return to work. He had a major stroke, but has confounded the doctors by having relatively minor symptoms - reduced sensations in his right hand / foot and some speech problems but nothing insurmountable, but he does get far more tired these days.

So this has somewhat changed our plans for New York.

We have flights booked with BA for Sunday 24th September, 1pm departure with the return flight on Friday 29th at 9:30pm.
We were originally going out on the Monday morning but found the Sunday afternoon flights were much cheaper and it'll give us a full extra day.
We are staying at the Avalon Hotel, which is on 32nd Street, between 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue.

Fortunately, I bought travel insurance as soon as I booked the package with Expedia so we are covered as the stroke happened after that.

We purchased the 5 day New York passes, which I'm sure we would originally have got our money's worth from, but now we will need to pace ourselves, so I have tasked DH with coming up with a suitable plan of action over the 5 days we are there. We will probably only be able to do a couple of things a day, so we need them to be in the same area. I have asked him to work out the 'must-dos' and then we'll add other things on if there's time and we won't be overstretching him. Once he's done that I will post the results!

We also want to see a baseball game while were there, we've seen the Rays twice in Tampa and enjoyed it thoroughly - I think the Mets are at home in that week, and strangely enough are playing the Rays!

I was previously considering a helicopter flight over the city on his actual birthday but that might not be a good idea anymore!

Any suggestions as to best way to get around the city would be appreciated. We were going to get a Subway pass for the week, but perhaps we might need to look at cabs instead.

I need to spend more time planning and researching, but as I'm sure you'll understand, I've had other priorities recently

By the way, I have just booked a week in Spain for us all - we had to wait until 3 months had passed since the stroke, so we are all very much looking forward to that (especially the kids after their A levels) and it'll give us an idea of how tired DH gets travelling.

Oct 1993 Grovesnor Resort
Aug 1994 Kissimee Villa / Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa
Oct 1996 Half Moon Beach Club, Sarasota / Buena Vista Palace
Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
Oct / Nov 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge
August 2010 Old Key West / Royal Pacific Resort
August 2013 Hard Rock Hotel / Old Key West Trip Report
August 2016 Hard Rock Hotel / Saratoga Springs Trip Report - Complete!
September 2017 New York Pre-Trip
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 17, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds like a great trip.Glad your husband doing well.My Mum had a stroke few years ago so sad cant travel now well could but has leg problems so doesnt walk well i visit as often as i can im in USA.I would love to take her on a trip shes a few years younger than your Mum bet it was a loveley trip for you both to Dubai.How was the heat there ?Did she enjoy it ?We just came back from New York few days ago went my daughters 16th was so nice cant wait to go again.Cant wait to hear all about it have a wonderful trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 17, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Oh Anne ! What a pre trippy. Gosh it's all been happening for you. So pleased hubby on the mend but what a fright that must have been.

Pleased you are still going though. We loved NYC with the boys last year. We found the taxis cheaper than we expected and although we mainly used the subway to go the further distances , trips like coming back from Chelsea market were much better by cab .. And when we were lost in Greenwich Village , erm, another story .

Lots Of trippies that will give you an idea of what you can get round in clusters . Maybe not walking the Brooklyn bridge or climbing the Statue of Liberty though .

You will be going as we are coming back. Isn't it fab not being limited by school hols.

Hope Rob continues to recover well. Will be looking out for more updates X
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tanzanite View Post
Sounds like a great trip.Glad your husband doing well.My Mum had a stroke few years ago so sad cant travel now well could but has leg problems so doesnt walk well i visit as often as i can im in USA.I would love to take her on a trip shes a few years younger than your Mum bet it was a loveley trip for you both to Dubai.How was the heat there ?Did she enjoy it ?We just came back from New York few days ago went my daughters 16th was so nice cant wait to go again.Cant wait to hear all about it have a wonderful trip.
We're hoping it'll be great - just at a slower pace than we were expecting!

Dubai is lovely - February / March and October / November are the best times to go. It's mid to high 20s, just how I like it, I couldn't do it in the summer when it's over 40! My brother lives over there so we stay with him - I've only been there twice but Mum's been around 15 - 20 times as she goes sometimes twice a year.

Sept. 2002 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2003 Sequoia Lodge DLP, June 2006 Hotel Cheyenne DLP
PlutoFan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Oh Anne ! What a pre trippy. Gosh it's all been happening for you. So pleased hubby on the mend but what a fright that must have been.

Pleased you are still going though. We loved NYC with the boys last year. We found the taxis cheaper than we expected and although we mainly used the subway to go the further distances , trips like coming back from Chelsea market were much better by cab .. And when we were lost in Greenwich Village , erm, another story .

Lots Of trippies that will give you an idea of what you can get round in clusters . Maybe not walking the Brooklyn bridge or climbing the Statue of Liberty though .

You will be going as we are coming back. Isn't it fab not being limited by school hols.

Hope Rob continues to recover well. Will be looking out for more updates X
Hi Amanda, yes it has been interesting lately.

Rob is recovering well thank you - he has even been going into work three times a week - as it's an hour's drive away he's doing short days but he feels so much better getting back to 'normality' a bit.

We had a lovely week away at the end of July in Majorca (just for a change) with DD, DS and DS's girlfriend(!) - it was just what we all needed.

Now we're back from that, I've to to start doing planning - I have done zilch so far. Although I have made the executive decision to get a Yellow Cab from the airport to the hotel when we arrive. It's cheaper than pre-booking a private transfer and the train is a no-no at the moment.

As that is the sum total of my planning so far, I need to get a move on. I feel a planning session coming on for Saturday!

Old 20 Aug 17, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Glad you managed to get away and Rob is making a good recovery. Happy planning !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

So the other day, I thought I'd update my countdown... What? No, it can't be just 18 days away.

I'd got an outline of the first day in NY but that was it - and I've got a daughter to get off to University and a son to help find a job before then!

So today, I've knuckled down with a map and the list of must-haves and come up with an outline plan.

The idea is that each day is interchangeable and can be swapped around if the weather isn't too good.

We have only two things set in stone - a visit to the NY Yankees to see the Tampa Bay Rays on the Tuesday, and a visit to Broadway to see The Lion King.

Originally, I thought to see The Play That Went Wrong, as I was due to see it the day after I was due to come back from Dubai, but for obvious reasons didn't make it and it appeared it was a bit cheaper than other shows. However, on investigation, it's set in an English Rep company and is played by English actors. And it wasn't as cheap as I'd thought.

So we bit the bullet and got front row of Circle seats for The Lion King - who doesn't like a bit of Disney?!

So there are the only two things we have to work around. Ideally I've tried to arrange things in the same area so there isn't a lot of travelling around.

Sunday
Leave LHR @ 13:00 on BA. Arrive JFK @ 15:55.
Yellow Cab to Hotel Avalon.

If not too tired (this will be a recurring concern), we might walk down to Madison Square Park, get a snack at The Shake Shack and have a look at the Flatiron building.

Monday
Be at the Empire State Building for opening at 8am, go up to the Observatory floor.

Then Pier 83 for the 11am (hopefully) Landmark Cruise. This takes 1.5hrs, and will allow us a sit-down.

After the cruise, pop to Pier 86 to go to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum.

We will pick up breakfast and lunch whilst out - no idea where.

We'll probably go back to the hotel for a rest before dinner.

Tuesday

We'll have breakfast in the hotel or somewhere local, so the commuters can get to work, as we will first go to Wall Street and then move onto the 9/11 Memorial & Museum.

After that we'll go down to Battery Park to get to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. We won't be going up to the Crown but will try and get to the pedestal I think.

If time (unlikely) we might do a round trip on the Staten Island Ferry.

After a rest at the hotel, we go over to the Bronx to Yankee Stadium for the baseball match which starts at 7:05pm. In a neat bit of symmetry, the first baseball match we saw was the Tampa Bay Rays play the NY Yankees at Tropicana Field.

Wednesday

This is Rob's actual birthday, so I have made sure we do his no 1. request this day. We'll go to the Morning Star Cafe for breakfast. This was recommended by DD - she went to NY last October with her school and they ate breakfast here most mornings.

We'll take a quiet stroll around Central Park and then go to the American Museum of Natural History (the no. 1 request).

I asked him if he wanted to go anywhere special in the evening but he just wants a nice dinner and a drink. I may take him to St Clouds Hotel for a drink on their rooftop bar overlooking Times Square.

Thursday

Top of the Rock / Rockefeller Centre Tour

NY Transit Museum

Possibly High-Line / Chelsea Village or Brooklyn Bridge walk

Bus Tour (pick up from Madame Tussauds)

The Lion King starts at 8pm this evening, so we may have time for dinner before the show.

Friday

We are assuming we will be able to leave our bags at the hotel for the day so we are going to 5th Avenue / Times Square / generally wandering and shopping. Hopefully drop into Grand Central Station at some point.

Our flight is at 21:30 so I am guessing we'll need to get a cab / transfer around 5pm to get back to JFK.

Arrive LHR at 9:35 the next morning, drive back home and probably have to cope with the house after leaving DS alone for a week and DD turning up with two weeks worth of washing

I haven't thought about where to eat much (as you can probably tell) so if anyone has suggestions - fire away. We don't want to spend ages wandering around getting 'hangry'!

Hopefully Rob will be able to manage what's planned - I'll be running it past him this evening to see what he thinks.

Any comments / suggestions gratefully received.

Old 6 Sep 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I am glad to hear that Rob is on the mend!

Just a couple of suggestions:
Intrepid - we had lunch after at West Gotham Market - just the other side of the road. Lots of different eateries under one roof. Have a look at my NY trippy under the intrepid day for what we ate

Statue of Liberty - if you can do this first in the day, do so! It gets busier as the day goes on! If you haven't already got pedestal tickets then it may be difficult to go up as you have to have a ticket!

Grand Central Station is worth a trip. There is a food court underneath if you want a quick meal!

Natural History Museum - I would do this in the morning and then Central Park after.

Food generally - we didn't have any plans - we often went down side streets and ate at delis - quick, tasty and relatively cheap! Also Wholefoods have food you can box up and eat in their tabled areas!

Have a lovely trip!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 17, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
PlutoFan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I am glad to hear that Rob is on the mend!

Just a couple of suggestions:
Intrepid - we had lunch after at West Gotham Market - just the other side of the road. Lots of different eateries under one roof. Have a look at my NY trippy under the intrepid day for what we ate

Statue of Liberty - if you can do this first in the day, do so! It gets busier as the day goes on! If you haven't already got pedestal tickets then it may be difficult to go up as you have to have a ticket!

Grand Central Station is worth a trip. There is a food court underneath if you want a quick meal!

Natural History Museum - I would do this in the morning and then Central Park after.

Food generally - we didn't have any plans - we often went down side streets and ate at delis - quick, tasty and relatively cheap! Also Wholefoods have food you can box up and eat in their tabled areas!

Have a lovely trip!
c

Perfect! This is just the sort of feedback I was looking for. Thank you!

I'll tweak that day to do Wall Street & 9/11 after SoL.

Old 7 Sep 17, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel88
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by PlutoFan View Post
Thursday

Top of the Rock / Rockefeller Centre Tour

NY Transit Museum

Possibly High-Line / Chelsea Village or Brooklyn Bridge walk

Bus Tour (pick up from Madame Tussauds)

The Lion King starts at 8pm this evening, so we may have time for dinner before the show.
The NY Transit Museum is in Brooklyn so it would make more sense to head there first in the morning, then could walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge. That would take you to lunchtime/early afternoon and you'd have time to do either TOTR, High Line and Chelsea Village or a Bus Tour. I think it would be a lot to fit much more in before Dinner and watching The Lion King tbh.
Ariel88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List