Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Nov 18, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
razorsharp192
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by disneydaft83 View Post
In 2017, we decided to sneak in a last minute break as we unexpectedly had some spare cash, we booked with Thomson for the September just inside the 12 week point and the only availability for Disney resorts was Art of Animation and the All Stars. We usually go for deluxe resorts so book 18 months out to get the resort we want and the dining plan. Saving £200 pp wouldn't cover the dining plan or the cost of our meals at Disney. This September we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and availability for those 2 weeks outside school holidays was gone long before free dining ended. My worry is not about getting my holiday cheaper, but getting what I want and I'm happy to pay for it.

Threads from earlier in the summer about Disney resort availability for 2019, suggest that you will be disappointed if you leave booking a deluxe until 3 months out. If you're happy to take the chance and stay elsewhere if you can't get what you want then that's all good. I'd rather not take the chance.
It must depend on when you go, we usually go in May, and in Feb when we book there's always plenty of availability from value to deluxe hotels.
razorsharp192 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi as you have just said going at the least busy times there will always be deals to be had. As most of us are tied to school holidays etc this is why it is more expensive so people book to get the accomodation they want. When there last July OKW was fully booked
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Crocodilosaurus
Looking for my Ears

Mobile

I book in advance so I can get the hotel and flight I want. I don't enjoy spending lots of time checking and rechecking prices. If that means I pay more than if I had booked 2 months and three days later then c'est la vie - I would rather work more than waste time and energy trying to save £200.
Crocodilosaurus is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
razorsharp192
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Crocodilosaurus View Post
I book in advance so I can get the hotel and flight I want. I don't enjoy spending lots of time checking and rechecking prices. If that means I pay more than if I had booked 2 months and three days later then c'est la vie - I would rather work more than waste time and energy trying to save £200.
I'd be the same if it was only for the sake of £200, but when it's atleast £1000 saving, it's worth a 2 min check on the sites. Pretty sure I don't use that much time or energy looking on a website

Edited at 04:43 PM.
razorsharp192 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by razorsharp192 View Post
I'd be the same if it was only for the sake of £200, but when it's atleast £1000 saving, it's worth a 2 min check on the sites. Pretty sure I don't use that much time or energy looking on a website
I am with you on that one. My savings are never in 3 figures, rather four and not always with a 'one' at the front, (although I do spend many, many hours on research before buying). Those 'deals' also have a considerable effect on the vacation itinary and multi city locations that I eventually select. I start with an open plan, other than an intention to spend a part of the vacation in Orlando (generally). When working out savings, I also have to take into account the earning of that extra money, generally on overtime and therefore paying 40% tax and 12% National Ins on it, whilst doing a post retirement job that I do not always enjoy.
For me, The researching, planning and the savings as well as the driving of the deals is a very important and pleasurable part of the vacation experience. It is not for everyone, although as a non Disney user, I see others getting equal pleasure from planning DDP, Fast passes and the like in a similarly thorough manner.
Research and planning can be a great relaxation hobby, as well as lucrative in savings. Others might not agree and might have considerably more disposable income than I. They may well feel that they know what they want (exactly) and that the cost, whilst relevant, is by no means crucial.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:05 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I think it all depends on what sort of holiday you want. A popular one with Dibbers is staying on site at Disney with free dining and you have to book it quite far in advance as certain room types/hotels do sell out quickly. If you want a cheapie hotel off site then of course you don't have to book far in advance as there are so many of them in Orlando.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I think it all depends on what sort of holiday you want. A popular one with Dibbers is staying on site at Disney with free dining and you have to book it quite far in advance as certain room types/hotels do sell out quickly. If you want a cheapie hotel off site then of course you don't have to book far in advance as there are so many of them in Orlando.
I get booking the hotel I don’t get booking flights before they are released or as soon as they are released when they are a5 their most expensive and over 11 months out gambling that flight on that date will actually be operational.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I get booking the hotel I don’t get booking flights before they are released or as soon as they are released when they are a5 their most expensive and over 11 months out gambling that flight on that date will actually be operational.
I agree with you as regards flights. I'm going to WDW next September - have booked the hotel with free dining. The flights were recently released but I'm not booking them yet.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
It’s not something I would do either. Nor would I book a Disney hotel before Disney have released any offers however many people have already posted to say they like to have it booked so they know they’re going. You’ll never convince either side of the argument on this one. Everyone has their own reasons for doing something. The OP started the thread suggesting they might be swayed but they won’t be because the reasons other people give for booking early don’t fit with how he likes to book. There’s no right or wrong way.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
razorsharp192
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
It’s not something I would do either. Nor would I book a Disney hotel before Disney have released any offers however many people have already posted to say they like to have it booked so they know they’re going. You’ll never convince either side of the argument on this one. Everyone has their own reasons for doing something. The OP started the thread suggesting they might be swayed but they won’t be because the reasons other people give for booking early don’t fit with how he likes to book. There’s no right or wrong way.
I'm happy to be swayed I just haven't heard any reasons to make me want to book in advance yet, a free night or "free" dining doesn't seem to be worth it given that the holiday in the first place would cost more (so the "free" parts aren't really free). Completely understand booking early if you're restricted to school holidays, but that doesn't apply to us.

Edited at 06:48 PM.