Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Aug 18, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Nowt to lose by trying to get her thro the GE lane MrT, give it a go
Trying to push a non GE member though is a reason to lose membership, I was told this at my original interview - unless things have changed as it was 6 years ago. I was also told the GE members must use the GE kiosks if that airport has them though am unsure what they would say if you turned up at a normal counter.

Edited at 08:37 PM.
gavvy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Two good responses thank you. I will line up with her

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Nowt to lose by trying to get her thro the GE lane MrT, give it a go
Agree with SteveC, really wouldn’t recommend trying this. It’s one of the documented reasons why people have had their GE membership revoked (not online rumour, but in an official CBP response to a FOI request on the subject).

Of course, it’s not guaranteed that membership would be revoked, I’m sure the agent on the day makes a difference, but I wouldn’t be taking the chance with mine. When I travel with the family, I suck it up and use the normal line...
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Righto - got the message - anybody else want to say it isn't a good idea just in case I missed it?

There's your answer MrT, send the, what is she, 3 year old, thro the ordinary queue whilst you use GE, everybody's happy then
Old 7 Aug 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Elise79
Imagineer

Mobile

We hold GE for myself and DD.

When we flew in to LAX last month it was of little benefit as the line for the regular immigration was short as we were PE.

However the value in pre✔️ In both LAX and MCO for clearing security was worth it. We always have laptops and liquids and not having to take them out makes life so easy.

Biggest thing was we were through MCO security in under 5 minutes and the regular line was showing an estimated 25 minute wait!
Elise79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

We were sent through the pre check line at LAX, not sure why but it was amusing as no one seemed to be listening to the guy who was telling you NOT to take your shoes off/leave evrything in your bags etc. He was really getting mad asking people if they were deaf or just stupid and getting more annoyed with every pair of shoes that were taken off.

It did seem strange having been used to the usual security checks but I guess they know what they're doing.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
wpalmer
VIP Dibber

We have used GE for a year or so now through various US airports. Sometimes really speeds up the route through if there is a full immigration hall at MCO. IF we are one of the first off though and no flights before it doesn't make a massive difference. We have also been sent to the normal window as the GE machines weren't operating. Big help if you are hand luggage only as we are but as others have said if you are travelling with non GE or have to wait for luggage then it may not make much difference. TSA pre is a great help.

Best GE experience was our last trip. Landed 1.50. In our villa by 2.30 including waiting for an Uber. Cleaners were a bit shocked though!

Edited at 09:43 AM. Reason: update
wpalmer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
twinkly-tink
VIP Dibber

twinkly-tink's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Can I just ask for those that have this what does the interview involve? And whilst I appreciate no one has a crystal ball what are the possible reasons for failing it? Just conscious of the impact to entry via ESTA !
Old 8 Aug 18, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by twinkly-tink View Post
Can I just ask for those that have this what does the interview involve? And whilst I appreciate no one has a crystal ball what are the possible reasons for failing it? Just conscious of the impact to entry via ESTA !
All the checks are done in the background before the interview. The interview is to take fingerprints and confirm your id, they check off every pic they have taken of you in the past to confirm its you. This part is really simple.

You have to apply for a UK and USA background check, UK passes their details to the USA then USA CBP do their checks. If you fail the checks then it is likely you should never have been travelling on an ESTA in the first place, so you would have to go down the Visa route (and probably would get issues getting one having lied about your previous circumstances)

You will know in your own mind before you apply if you will pass, have you a conviction for instance, or have you flouted customs rules either here or in USA.

If you google CBP trusted traveller site there is a ton of info on there about the scheme.
Old 8 Aug 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by twinkly-tink View Post
We did ours in May at MCO on arrival... but naturally, since it's me, it didn't go entirely smoothly ;-) On arrival I showed one of the immigration hall attendants the paperwork and he said GE machines over there. I said no I havent got it yet. He said you DONT have GE and pointed to the normal line. I tried really hard to explain I need to do the interview but got nowhere. Went to the next person who said, you need to book an interview. I said I'd like to do it today? she said you cant you must book an interview. shuffled along a little more, spoke to another person and he said, we're too busy. Anyway one of the other people overheard and said come out of the queue, I'll see what we can do.

So, he took us out of the queue and sent us to the far left to see one of the normal immigration officers but I think it was the line you go to after you do the machines. He said sorry I cant do the interviews but I'll get you landed today and then you can go over there and ask.

So, we did the usual stuff, went to where he pointed and another immigration officer, one who was behind a desk just before luggage, said sorry no ones available. I said ok no problem, I've booked an interview later in the week anyway... he said oh, well hang on. He asked four different officers and the last one said he could do it. so off we toddled.

First off he looked and said, you've already been landed. I said yeah I know we were sent over there... oh, shouldn't have done that he says. Hmmm oops but kinda just doing what we were told.

More consultation and he kept going.. I'd say we were there about 20 minutes whilst he checked years of photos and asked questions about past trips and business/family in the UK.

Finally he said look it's all fine apart from one check which just hasn't come back yet but when it does we'll email you.

By the time we got to the villa, the email was there and everything was fine. TSA pre on the way back was a dream!

Tbh everyone was mega nice and it may just have been very early in the "on arrival interview" process but not everyone knew about it and those that did were often looking up the process in hand written note pads as if they'd only recently been briefed on it.

So it definitely does work out but I can totally imagine arriving late or a busy time causing problems.

I was just pleased how nice they were about it though.
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List