Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Nov 18, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I have done this route a number of times and 1hr 20 is really cutting it fine. Hopefully your flight will land slightly earlier due to tailwinds but its very neat now.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Dis
Earning My Ears

We fly the same route with 1hr 20min between flight landing in Gatwick and departure to Glasgow. Was advised at time of booking this would be fine as 60 min recommend minimal time between connections (Gatwick website also states this). Suppose this all depends on flight not landing into Gatwick late!
Dis is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PrincessShelly
Excited about Disney

Interesting tangent this has taken. Our return flight lands 6.55am LGW and our flight to GLA does not depart until 10.30am, so it wasn't something we worried about.

I am now however thinking about the check in time on our outwards journey. How long before the departure time would you arrive at airport to check luggage in and go through all of the other hoops. Bearing in ming we will have done online check in 24hrs in advance?
PrincessShelly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

You should have plenty time on the return at Gatwick with those timings. On the outbound, check in and security are relatively quick at Glasgow and I usually plan on arriving at the airport around 2 hours prior to departure time. One thing I will comment on is the current connection with BA at Gatwick, although this may be resolved by the time that you are traveling. All of the domestic flights to Gatwick, even those that arrive at an airbridge, are bussed from the aircraft to the domestic arrivals. From what I could see there was no flight connection option so again I found myself landside and had to go upstairs and go through security again. Again this is something that Gatwick and BA are fully aware of and are supposedly working to resolve, but it was still in place in September 2018.

Originally Posted by PrincessShelly View Post
Interesting tangent this has taken. Our return flight lands 6.55am LGW and our flight to GLA does not depart until 10.30am, so it wasn't something we worried about.

I am now however thinking about the check in time on our outwards journey. How long before the departure time would you arrive at airport to check luggage in and go through all of the other hoops. Bearing in ming we will have done online check in 24hrs in advance?
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Stan1805
Serious Dibber

Mobile

We fly into LGW at 09.20 and flight to GLA is 10.35 hadn’t given it much thought before. Now I’m worried 😦
Stan1805 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
rhu115
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by james weir View Post
1 hour 20 is quite tight due to passport controls which can take ages,you then have to go back through security and go to the gate for the Glasgow Flight
Thanks for the input guys, I also think we will be cutting it fine

rhu115 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
gazadonna9
slightly serious Dibber

gazadonna9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

When you arrive at Gatwick you have to go through passport control then exit at the baggage collection then go back through security. It is tight, however if you miss connection they will put you on next available flight.
I have flown this route several times and have never missed connection ... it’s been close though
gazadonna9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Stan1805
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by gazadonna9 View Post
When you arrive at Gatwick you have to go through passport control then exit at the baggage collection then go back through security. It is tight, however if you miss connection they will put you on next available flight.
I have flown this route several times and have never missed connection ... it’s been close
though
We have also done this route several times but always had a longer stopover usually around 3 hours! The worry is we will have a 2 year old with us but hopefully we will be able to use the family line through security if it is busy.
Stan1805 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We've done this route, or the TPA variation, a few times and will be doing so again shortly. Last time we pushed back late at TPA and were further delayed by a headwind. There was no chance of making the 1.5 hour GLA connection at LGW. We were put on the next flight up. Total delay was 7 hours - it was a Sunday so fewer domestic flights. Every cloud has a silver lining - we got 1,800 euros compo for the 3 of us.
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by PrincessShelly View Post

We’ve flown that route several time (either GLA or EDI) and usually get to the airport around 2 hours before our flight. If you still feel that’s too early them aim for 90 minutes. I wouldn’t advise any less than that as BA bag drop can be busy at that time of the morning and possible security too.
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List