Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Nov 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

The OP's son can definitely enjoy a drink on their flight both to & from the USA as they will be on a BA aircraft. UK registered aircraft means UK law applies onboard, even when in foreign airspace.

As has already been alluded to, it would be inadvisable for anyone - of any age - to arrive at immigration in any country seriously drunk. Whilst the general experience of US immigration has improved greatly over the years, all you need to do is rub an immigration official who had a bad nights sleep up the wrong way & they can make your stay at immigration quite long [secondary checks etc] very fast.

As is always the case, just be sensible and you'll be fine. Enjoy a drink or two on the flight if you wish - you are highly unlikely to be intoxicated in any serious way on arrival. (Sure, driving a car would probably be inadvisable, but you're not going to be arrested for drunk & disorderly, or similar). Even if the immigration officer does notice a slight whiff of alcohol on you, they should quickly realise you arrived on a BA flight, so even if the person is under 21 [but over 18] then the alcohol was furnished & consumed legally onboard. It would be a hugely different matter if you arrived in the USA on a US airline having consumed alcohol furnished by the crew onboard - the airline could be in very deep trouble then as the USA take furnishing a minor with alcohol pretty seriously.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

On a long flight if I have a glass or 2 in the first couple of hours it will be ok to drive as will have been metabolized by the time you pick up the car

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
As said I don't think a drink or two will be a problem.
Its strange I have a couple of their version of Baileys but that's it, I used to drink lager but only have ever had a couple on a flight - it's just not the same as drinking in a pub and I don't really drink at home
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

OK folks what does any under 21 arriving in the USA with a blood alcohol count above zero say to the IO if asked if they were drinking?
Taking into account that it is illegal for any under 21 to have any sort of alcohol in their system in the USA.

It’s OK to give advice saying they will be OK, but that goes against the law of the land.

I don’t know what would happen that’s why I ask.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

This may be helpful for your question PPM. Looks like it’s unlawful to purchase alcohol under the age of 21 in all states but the consumption isn’t as clear as different states have different rules.

I’m no expert but looking at this I interpret it as if the minor hasn’t purchased the alcohol in USA or is in possession of any when they get off the plane in Florida then that’s acceptable. I guess if the person was disorderly or abusive then that would be a different charge.

alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/...-of-alcohol/42

Edited at 03:27 PM.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Remember when you have landed that it is also important to note that unlike some other states, Florida law does not allow parents to authorize their children under the age of 21 to possess or drink alcohol when under their supervision.

Even holding an unopened bottle is illegal (unless employed to do so by a licensee in a licensed premises), consumption of alcohol is not required to be in breech of the law.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
This may be helpful for your question PPM. Looks like it’s unlawful to purchase alcohol under the age of 21 in all states but the consumption isn’t as clear as different states have different rules.

I’m no expert but looking at this I interpret it as if the minor hasn’t purchased the alcohol in USA or is in possession of any when they get off the plane in Florida then that’s acceptable. I guess if the person was disorderly or abusive then that would be a different charge.

alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/...-of-alcohol/42

Thank you Beth
I’ve done some more digging and the zero tolerance for under 21 drinking seems to be aimed at DUI cases. Basically a blood alcohol level of 0.020 for an under 21 driving means no drink at all for the driver.
Apologies if I was heading down the route of zero alcohol level coming into the country. I was getting mixed up with the DUI levels.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
jackster14
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Slightly off topic, but I’m genuinely interested in people’s responses - people who choose to drink on planes, is it because it’s free that you want to drink, would you drink if you had to pay for it?

I don’t drink very much, normally only if I’m out with friends, and I don’t drink on flights as I guess it just doesn’t occur to me to have a drink.

For me this wouldn’t change whether the drinks were free or not so I’m just curious as to others reasons for having a drink.

Is it more of a relaxation thing? So if you were going to sit and watch a film at home would you have a drink? So the same whilst watching a film on a plane?

I have no problem with people drinking on flights btw, I’m just interested.
I always used to enjoy a drink at the airport but one (early morning..ahem) flight I had a drink at the airport, 2 hr flight and managed to faint on the plane. Cue panicking children who thought I had died - to be fair it has put me off drinking at the airport and on the plane. I stick to soft drinks now LOL
jackster14 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Alcohol does react differently at altitude apparently. I tend not to bother as it doesn't taste right either
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

a couple of wee airplane cans probably about a pint when measured out

im sure nothing to be worried about

although i have to say if im driving in the US on arrival i just dont bother , same when out there either drink or drive... no point in chancing it for the sake of one drink
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List