Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Feb 18, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
probi
I want to go now!

Travelling beginning of January

Hi all,

We have just booked for 31st December - 11th January this year, but I am now reading that this is a very busy time in the parks, does anybody know if it is really that busy?

We last visited in April 2014 during the easter holidays and didn't find it too bad, so if anyone could provide a comparison of the 2 times of year if you have been lucky enough to travel at both times

Also we are travelling with our daughter who will be nearly 2 when we go, does anybody know what the weather is usually like at this time of year and will it be OK for her?

I know that this year was apparently extra cold for January, we would like some reasonable temperatures so it is cool enough for our little one but warm enough to escape the english winter!

Thanks!
probi is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Hi & welcome to The Dibb.

We were there from Dec 31st -> Jan 4th. We didn't do the parks but were around the WDW area. Weather was cold. Very cold. There were some days it was hotter in the UK. You really can flip a coin at this time of year and you may win or lose. If your luck is in, I'd expect highs of 25. Whatever the extent of the weather, your 2yo will be fine; just be sensible and keep the family shaded and hydrated if it's hot.

We heard that the parks were at capacity on Dec 31st / 1st. I'd personally avoid them until the 3rd. You do still get the tail end of some tourists though.

We were back in Orlando, to much nicer weather, on Jan 10th / 11th and visited WDW. We bought the tickets at 2pm on the 10th and I managed to secure us FPs for the big attractions that afternoon (excluding Avatar etc).

It was generally quiet for Disney apart from the new attractions at AK.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
probi
I want to go now!

Mobile

Hi,

Thanks very much for the welcome and the reply!

Kind of what I thought regarding the weather, fingers crossed we get lucky! Will pack for both eventualities just in case.

It's good to hear the parks aren't going to be manic, that was one of the main reasons for going at this time of year.
Old 23 Feb 18, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

I was there this past year from 29th Dec to 7th Jan and it was COLD. As mentioned, some days it was even colder than the UK which was a bit of a shock so definitely pack for both eventualities as you really never know what you're going to get!
I'm sorry to say the parks were absolutely rammed. I'd only ever been in September/October and April/May but I'd never seen anything like it.
Don't forget that after the Christmas/New Years crowds leave you then get the crowds for the Disney Marathon on the first weekend in January, which is a huge event and most of the resorts sell out.
In fact I think I had 1 day in between where the parks felt a bit quieter and then suddenly everything went crazy again.
Sorry to put a dampener - it didn't affect me as I was solo but as a family I'd just plan accordingly and make good use of FP+ etc
Either way I'm sure you'll have a magical time - just wanted to give you my experience.
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
probi
I want to go now!

Hi Soraia,

Thanks for the information, I would rather be prepared and know what to expect instead of thinking one thing and finding another!

Am I right in thinking this year was exceptionally cold in comparison to most other years?

As long as we can still walk around safety with the little one in her pushchair hopefully we will be fine!
Old 23 Feb 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Rotonda Bound
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
We have been over in Jan ( but at the Gulf Coast on Rotonda West) for the past 4 years. We have had the odd day where the temperature dips but this year was exceptionally cold. It was also the length of time that the cold snap stayed.

Last year was amazing and we were in shorts & tshirts most if the time. This year we went out during the day in coats & boots 😲

Next year hopefully will be back to normal 😎

Dragonflies Villa ... close to stunning Gulf Coast beaches.
The ideal place to relax and unwind

Rotonda Bound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
probi
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by Rotonda Bound View Post
Next year hopefully will be back to normal 😎
Oh I hope so!

From looking at the calender's online, the first few days we are there maybe quite busy but then looks as if it tails off so hopefully we will get away with it, it's all booked now so either way we will still have a great time!