Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 18, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If you give tax relief for people who choose to use private education and healthcare because they are paying for a service they dont receive then equally you should give a tax break to those who do not have children. "Free" education and healthcare is available to all, it's your choice whether you use it or not, but we all have to pay for it, it's how the system works.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
care should receive tax relief too because they reduce pressure on NHS?
In Australia that's exactly what happens.
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue
it's how the system works.
In reality though both the NHS and state education don't really work, they are massively inferior to the private equivalents

If they weren't no-one would pay for them and then the system really would be screwed, the education system can't afford to absorb the 8% of kids in the private system, healthcare has similar problems
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
In reality though both the NHS and state education don't really work, they are massively inferior to the private equivalents
Worked for me - A levels, Degree, Masters, PhD. Saved my husband from colon cancer and a stroke, saved my dad from oesophageal cancer, routinely scans me and my daughter for breast, colon and cerviacal cancer.
My friend had spinal cancer, as soon as it was diagnosed the private hospital didn’t want to know and returned her to the NHS. She survived.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I agree it was a silly reason, but you argument was even sillier, it's a well proven economic fact that private school users heavily subsidise the public tax system ...
Interesting, could you link me to the relevant research?
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Interesting, could you link me to the relevant research?
Page 25 onwards in this document, although it is all worth a read...

isc/media/2588/201...report_isc.pdf

ISC schools are estimated to have saved the taxpayer at least £3.0 billion in
2011/12. This is the amount that it would have cost had all the British pupils at ISC
schools attended state-funded schools. This is the equivalent of building more
than 460 new free schools each year. The equivalent figure for all independent
schools’ British pupils is £3.9 billion. It is likely the actual savings are higher as
conservative assumptions have been applied throughout.
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Worked for me - A levels, Degree, Masters, PhD. Saved my husband from colon cancer and a stroke, saved my dad from oesophageal cancer, routinely scans me and my daughter for breast, colon and cerviacal cancer.
My friend had spinal cancer, as soon as it was diagnosed the private hospital didn’t want to know and returned her to the NHS. She survived.
I don't disagree that our public systems are a great national asset, they are, but they are this good because they have some of the burden of service provision alleviated by the private sector. They would fail spectacularly if the private sector folded overnight as the weight of providing service to those that currently out to pay (but are entitled to free) would be crippling.

Incidentally in your example degree, master and PhD are all provided by private institutions they may have a state subsidy but all you've proven is that private institutions work by including these in your reasoning
Old 22 Feb 18, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Nice report but it will never happen. The over 55 will quite rightly take it to court as age discrimination. It will drag on for years and lots of appeals and if it ever gets passed those who would have got it will have passed 55 and not be eligible .

Now give 65 years olds 10K (equiv to a few years of pension) to retire and not hog a job that a younger person could have might be a better option (or even a robot could have). They can work pass retirement age but 10K if they don't plus pension. I could go for that one when I eventually get to retirement age provided that retirement carrot on the stick doesn't keep on moving to 66 67 68 70 ...
fredflintstone is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

You do though benefit through the safety net of the NHS. Your private health provider isn't going to send an ambulance if you're in an accident or have a sudden medical emergency. If a procedure goes wrong it will often be the NHS you are passed on. Private hospitals also benefit from the training doctors and nurses receive in the state system.
Your school fees may be subsidised, to an extent by the state, if the school has charitable status, and, as Michael Give pointed out, many do very little to earn it. The school's business rates will be massively reducd and they'll be VAT exempt. As with the NHS, many staff will have been trained through the state sector.
And then you benefit everyday through your interactions with people who have been educated through the state system and provide the services you require.
We all pay, through the tax system, for services we don't individually use but that's how society functions. Heck, we all contributed to bailing out the financial sector when their, to be kind, recklessness nearly destroyed the economy. Tax in this country isn't hypothecated; if you complained the government could say that they spent your contribution entirely on their new aircraft carrier.

Edited at 11:39 AM.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
In my previous job I had private health cover and used it twice in 11 years. I paid extra on my PAYE as it is classed as a benefit in kind. I was more than happy to pay more for it and keep up my contributions to the NHS from my taxes. I would never dream of purchasing health insurance and asking the government for a tax rebate for the NHS part of my tax.

Ask most people if they would rather a properly funded health service or the American (non)equivalent and I'm sure most would prefer the former.