Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Feb 18, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Tell me about Kissimee & Lake Buena Vista

Hi,

Just got back from 2 weeks on International Drive and of course we are already thinking about our next trip (Jan 2020).

We chose ID because of Universal and the numerous restaurants etc. But the reality was that we did not really enjoy Universal and too knackered in the evenings to do much.

I have severe arthritis in my knees so lots of walking was an issue (as expected). Because of this we used Uber a lot even to very local restaurants on the last few days.

So now wondering if we go back if Kissimee or LB would be a better option for us. We'd only do the Disney parks and some day trips.

I'd love to hear the pros & cons of both areas compared to International Drive.

Maybe we'll be lucky enough to stay in Disney but this seems unlikely 😐
Old 21 Feb 18, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Personally I wouldn't think that LBV or Kissimmee are really that much better for you. Kissimmee is a large area spread for 15 miles along the US192. Buses are more limited than ID which has the Trolley. Disney parks are just as big/tiring as the Universal ones involving lots of walking - unless you get a mobility scooter. The US just isn't designed for walking (even without arthritis) - everyone drives door to door in an air-conditioned car. They drive to the shops, drive to the restaurants etc. Hence, I consider a hire car to be essential. If you have a hire car, you can get to anywhere whenever you like without walking more than a few yards, plus you are out of the heat, and it doesn't matter how far away or how spread out they are. There is a saying that only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun - it applies to Orlando!
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks Ian. I'm thinking in terms of Ubering really. ID is a fair distance from Disney. Thought these other location maybe closer?

We are definitely midday sun dodgers 😁
Old 21 Feb 18, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs sun
Imagineer

If you stay in Kissimmee your best bet is a car, but other than that have you thought about a disney hotel? You will have lots of different options of travel and yes deffo get a scooter in parks.
Mrs sun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I can walk about 5 miles but then I'm done in. I'd feel like a fraud if I hired a scooter because I can do the walking but by the end of the day it's slow and painful hence the ubering. If only Disney could magic up a scooter later in the day.

Disney is an option we'll consider but if not I'm thinking hotels as close as possible.

Probably looking at 2 weeks split between Disney and daytrips/rest days.
Old 21 Feb 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
know what you mean as I suffer from it in my feet, and they don't have ache at the end of a long day in a park

LBV is probably a bit nearer to the Disney Parks than most of Kissimmee but not by much but there are plenty of places in both to eat out at night. Some areas are within walking distance of these places, others not so much

Your best bet is to look at actual resorts/hotels and then ask dibbers for their views

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DinkySlinky
Helping Donald

What about the area right next to Disney Springs? Some of the hotels are really nice, walking distance to Disney Springs and Disney Transportation to the parks.

Happy Planning!
DinkySlinky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

I'm not sure that Kissimmee or LBV will be any better than I Drive if you don't change something else about your holiday.

So in reality that means staying at Disney or Hiring a car and a Scooter to get the most of your holiday. Having to endure the pain at the end of your park day isn't (in my humble opinion) getting the most out of your holiday and you don't need to feel a fraud (my sister hired one just because she isn't used to walking far) you have a genuine medical condition.

Edited at 02:06 PM.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Its worth looking at CYPRESS POINTE RESORT, LAKE BUENA VISTA. We stayed there a couple of years ago. I mention it because its within 5 minutes walking a around 6 restaurants and 10 minutes walk to another dozen or so.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
A&S&O
Apprentice Imagineer

After initially always staying on I Drive, we've switched to staying on Palm Parkway, LBV for the last few years. We stayed at the Clarion a couple of times, but then found the Extended Stay and always stay there now.
About 10 minute drive to Disney Springs - possibly a 30 minute walk? Also easy access to the I5 to visit Disney parks.
Plenty of eating places within walking distance, even more if you go by car.
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW, 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLP x3, 2015 DLR + DLP x2, 2016 WDW + DLP x2, 2017 WDWx2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2, 2019 WDWx2, 2022 WDWx2, 2023 DLP x2. 2024 DLP x2, WDW. 2025 planning WDW.
A&S&O is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List