Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 4 Nov 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

They’ll want to avoid the cheap motels in Titusville then! We stayed overnight for an early start to watch a rocket launch... and there was a live cockroach between the sheets aaargh!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

they have been compensated multiple times for disney stays over the last 5 years says it all really

Disney believed the claims to be exaggerated - they are not denying that some of it may be true however it really does come across as we have an online following so if we kick up enough fuss we'll get decent compensation to keep quiet - they apparently wanted a full refund
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyF1rstT1me
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
The last sentance in the Mirror article seems the most appropriate "while we believe the guests claims were exaggerated "! For a start since when does CBR cost £400 a night?
£400 a night for CBR? Bet they booked with Virgin Holidays
DisneyF1rstT1me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
A Disney spokeswoman said: "This family has received compensation from us numerous times over the past five years, and they continue to return.
Pretty much says it all.

I've seen this reported on Facebook a couple of days ago. To me it appears this family is trying it on and has done so on a number of different previous occasions.

Now, I'm not saying that they made up their claims. But Disney did more than compensate them by moving them to the Grand Floridian free of charge. They raised concerns with the standard of their room (fair enough) and Disney rectified this. So why did they still feel the need to go to the press and complain? What are they looking for - further compensation in addition to taking payment from the tabloids to tell their story?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Professional compensation seekers!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Pretty much says it all.

I've seen this reported on Facebook a couple of days ago. To me it appears this family is trying it on and has done so on a number of different previous occasions.

Now, I'm not saying that they made up their claims. But Disney did more than compensate them by moving them to the Grand Floridian free of charge. They raised concerns with the standard of their room (fair enough) and Disney rectified this. So why did they still feel the need to go to the press and complain? What are they looking for - further compensation in addition to taking payment from the tabloids to tell their story?
I totally agree. I don't think it's all been made up- I've seen the pictures and it's said they are from a pirate room. There's a dust and grime and wires covered in insulation tape- that is unacceptable.
We also know from a lot of credible reports (see Tom Morrow's audit of SSR his last trip) how they can let expensive accommodations deteriorate to an unacceptable level. We've also seen many reports on here of poor housekeeping. One poor woman on Facebook earlier this week opened her sofa bed to find it covered in the previous guests' vomit.
But, being moved to GF is decent 'compo' in anyone's book. They should have been v happy with that and kept quiet, but they appear to like publicity from what I've read.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Another thing - cockroaches in the USA are far more common than over here. In the UK they tend to appear in unsavoury restaurants or takeaway places, or homes that aren't cleaned. Over there they are more prevalent - I was in the shower in a villa once, I groped beside me for the soap and when I turned to look at what I was actually reaching for, it was a HUGE red cockroach! (Just FYI, they don't lather up as well as soap …..) The villa was spotlessly clean, this thing had just snuck in from outside, so one dead cockroach on the floor isn't a good reason to complain!

This family are clearly serial attention seekers, and like being in the press. If I was Disney, I would ban them from staying in their resorts in the future. Or at least red-flag the family name so that the next time they book, they are alerted to the possibility of false claims.

I've just checked our upcoming stay at CBR and I have paid £175 per night, so I have no idea how they paid that much, either!
Old 5 Nov 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
Another thing - cockroaches in the USA are far more common than over here. In the UK they tend to appear in unsavoury restaurants or takeaway places, or homes that aren't cleaned. Over there they are more prevalent - I was in the shower in a villa once, I groped beside me for the soap and when I turned to look at what I was actually reaching for, it was a HUGE red cockroach! (Just FYI, they don't lather up as well as soap …..) The villa was spotlessly clean, this thing had just snuck in from outside, so one dead cockroach on the floor isn't a good reason to complain!
I was going to say something similar. I often see dead cockroaches (and a few alive ones) as I walk along the paths in Orlando. I wouldn't be surprised if one found it's way into a hotel room, especially if it's on the ground level. Whereas I've rarely seen one here in the UK.

Having said that, if someone thinks that a dead cockroach in their room is cause for complaint then they are free to complain. To Disney, but not to the press. I have no issues with that and I've seen people complain to Disney about less.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

My son lives in Houston, a simi8lar climate, and although he has a spotless home and an excellent housekeeper, he has had cochroaches. Everyone has them in the south. When my grandson was a toddler he would often refer to any bug as a cochroach (he has since learned not to).

I live in the Northeast and not nearly as good a housekeeper as my son and have never had a cochroach even though I do home visits in low income communities as part of my job.

You go to Florida, expect to see roaches (or palmetto bugs same thing, nicer name)
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

The occasional dead roach just proves the pest control is working! It would be like claiming a UK house was filthy because you found a spider. Claiming the room wasn't clean enough to bring a dog in was just absurd.