Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Mar 18, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile Knee support recommendations?

Any recommendations for a good knee support?

I have problems walking long distances where my knees start to crunch (early arthritis). We’re going to be taking regular breaks but since you can end up walking up to 12miles a day in the parks, I want something decent I can slap around my knee to make things a bit easier. I generally don’t have problems in every day life, but I don’t want my silly old knees slowing down my magic! 😊

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old 31 Mar 18, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

I am not a great fan of knee supports, unless you see a proper sports physio and he can recommend one / or use tape (prop not practical on holiday to do) that helps with any alignment or tracking issues you might have.

I have had ops on both my knees, and have athritis, of someone 20 years older than me!

What helps is: losing weight (I know, standard), do some weights - massively helps, even light ones and squat excercises as best you can. After that it's managing pain. I have used pain killers before a day of walking, and afterward ice really helps. Shoes, go for proper running shoes... build to run marathons... !
Hope this helps... this is just my findings, both in Florida and managing my knees to still be able to play sport at good level. I have been using multi vitamins with fish oil in...this has reduced my knee issues and pain too.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
I am not a great fan of knee supports, unless you see a proper sports physio and he can recommend one / or use tape (prop not practical on holiday to do) that helps with any alignment or tracking issues you might have.

I have had ops on both my knees, and have athritis, of someone 20 years older than me!

What helps is: losing weight (I know, standard), do some weights - massively helps, even light ones and squat excercises as best you can. After that it's managing pain. I have used pain killers before a day of walking, and afterward ice really helps. Shoes, go for proper running shoes... build to run marathons... !
Hope this helps... this is just my findings, both in Florida and managing my knees to still be able to play sport at good level. I have been using multi vitamins with fish oil in...this has reduced my knee issues and pain too.
It was actually a sports physio who told me it was arthritis. Possibly caused by a very tight muscle behind the knee I have him on FB so I might ask him if he has any recommendations (although I’m sure one will be more physio sessions! Haha) I also walk on the outside of my feet which doesn’t help. Should have been corrected a long time ago
Old 31 Mar 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MsMinervaMouse View Post
It was actually a sports physio who told me it was arthritis. Possibly caused by a very tight muscle behind the knee I have him on FB so I might ask him if he has any recommendations (although I’m sure one will be more physio sessions! Haha) I also walk on the outside of my feet which doesn’t help. Should have been corrected a long time ago
Maybe get some gait analysis, some sports shops do them...you may get some trainers then that can alleviate the issue? Maybe massage can help the muscle then... rolling on a tennis ball? Yes, get physios advice though! There may be a support that helps the muscle issue. I am sure gym work will help... strengthen other muscles to take strain.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

The physio gave me different knee supports, with lots of different levels of support as my knee got worse after injury which led to increasingly bad arthritis. I was told not to wear supports all day they were specifically to stop my knee twisting when I initially returned to exercise classes but I didn’t wear them during everyday life; the strengthening exercises I had to do or the increasingly long walks I did, and do still, each day.

I’ve been to Orlando a number of times while my knee has been bad and managed fine without a support - didn’t want a white patch even at my worst. Painkillers when needed, regular sit downs - shows and rides included here - and a quiet area to do my exercises really helped. I also used a folding walking stick, measured accurately for my height, if the pain really kicked in.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Maybe get some gait analysis, some sports shops do them...you may get some trainers then that can alleviate the issue? Maybe massage can help the muscle then... rolling on a tennis ball? Yes, get physios advice though! There may be a support that helps the muscle issue. I am sure gym work will help... strengthen other muscles to take strain.
Oooo yes! Physio recommended one of those bumpy roller tube things and you've just reminded me! Will have to go out and get one. I'll also look into the analysis as was planning on getting new (better) trainers for holiday anyway. Thank you!
Old 31 Mar 18, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post

I would seek professional advice from a physio or a osteopath before trying "over the counter methods". You could do more harm than good and hospitalisation in America could be a minefield even with insurance. I have had operations on both my knees so know the pain that arthritis can cause. I have to ask are you travel insurance company aware of your arthritis because you should declare it if you haven't done so. Failure to do so could void your policy. Also I'd rather a professional analysed my gait not some Sports shop assistant.
Not being a killjoy but want you to cover all bases.

Edited at 10:11 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

I have arthritis in both knees (am only 37 ) and actually find that the heat in Florida helps massively and I have less pain than I do at home when I don’t walk nearly as much.

I have knee supports that I can wear if I need them, so far that has only been for skiing, otherwise I find all I need is ibuprofen to manage any pain. Unless recommended I can’t see that knee supports would help if it’s just for walking, I was told to wear them just when doing extreme exercise/activity.

Ibuprofen gel rubbed into the knees I also find very good, particularly at the end of the day so that it eases any discomfort at night which is when I feel it more if I’ve been walking lots.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I was sent to a physiotherapist after my results from an mri scan on my knee.
He advised not to wear a support all the time as this will actually weaken the knee more.
Only wear one when exercising or walking long distance (which is what you want it for)
He advised the pretty basic Elastoplast medium knee support which can be bought in any chemist, Tesco etc
It’s breathable, flexible and won’t cause any other problems.
A lot of fancy knee supports need to be professionally fitted etc.
He also stressed about weight, more weight you have the more weight and pressure on your knee.
Good footwear.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 18, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I tore my ACL a couple of years ago and whilst it’s now (mainly) healed if I’m going to be doing a lot of walking then I’ll tape my knee just for extra support.

I use KT Tape, if you buy the pro tape it stays out for around 5-7 days (even whilst it’s getting wet) you do get interesting tan lines but it’s amazing what a bit of tape can do in terms of support. KT Tape’s website have really helpful videos on how to apply it depending on the support you require (the full knee support would probably be best) and it’s reallt easy to follow! It is expensive but worth it in my opinion.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List