Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Dec 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Sorry, another menopause/ antidepressant question

Hi,
So I've reached 52 and desperately wanted to do the menopause naturally however I can't do it anymore.
I'm overweight and mum's had breast cancer so hrt is out.
I've read antidepressants can be used but I'm not depressed, just angry and anxious not sleeping past 3am and worry about using them.
I've got a gp appointment
tomorrow but not sure where to start. I'm pretty terrified 😨, poor hubby must be so sick of me and my moods.

Grateful for any advice
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
floridaaddict
Getting Excited

Hi!
I know ladies I’ve met through breast cancer treatment and are taking tamoxifen, take venlafaxine as it greatly helps reduce hot flushes even though it is classed as an anti depressant. I’ve given up on getting a good nights sleep.
floridaaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My sympathies, it’s horrible when you cannot sleep. As well as seeing your GP and following their advice, have you thought of doing some research into natural supplements? I have found vitamin D and oil of evening primrose helpful for these symptoms. Also I find I sleep better if I have done some exercise - walking is great.
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

I take clonidine for hot flushes after trying a range of other things. It's a tablet used for all sorts including ADHD and high blood pressure- I don't have either. Its very addictive and tightly controlled and you have to be good at taking it regularly and cannot just stop which all sounds really scary and a real pain to deal with but honestly I was in such a state at the time I would have thankfully taken anything my GP gave me. I've just turned 51 and I started having problems at 47 and have been taking it for about 2 and a half years. I find it very effective. Its certainly worth a conversation with your GP about options for other medication other than the usual HRT. I know some people don't like taking medication and would prefer more natural remedies but I could not manage - was sleep deprived, couldn't focus on anything and my work was suffering so happily gave it a go.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post
My sympathies, it’s horrible when you cannot sleep. As well as seeing your GP and following their advice, have you thought of doing some research into natural supplements? I have found vitamin D and oil of evening primrose helpful for these symptoms. Also I find I sleep better if I have done some exercise - walking is great.
I take Menopace,as I really wanted to go through the menopause naturally,
which I think has lots of the good vitamins etc, it does nothing for my mood but thankfully I don't get hot flushes, so maybe they're working a little.
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
I take clonidine for hot flushes after trying a range of other things. It's a tablet used for all sorts including ADHD and high blood pressure- I don't have either. Its very addictive and tightly controlled and you have to be good at taking it regularly and cannot just stop which all sounds really scary and a real pain to deal with but honestly I was in such a state at the time I would have thankfully taken anything my GP gave me. I've just turned 51 and I started having problems at 47 and have been taking it for about 2 and a half years. I find it very effective. Its certainly worth a conversation with your GP about options for other medication other than the usual HRT. I know some people don't like taking medication and would prefer more natural remedies but I could not manage - was sleep deprived, couldn't focus on anything and my work was suffering so happily gave it a go.
I'm so pleased you've found something that's helped. I think my work isn't suffering quite yet but I'm tired all day so only a matter of time.
I actually feel sorry for dh, having to live with me like this.
Old 9 Dec 19, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’ve been in it 4 years now and I’m 48 just and can’t take hrt either. My go suggesteci loose weight so I’ve joined SlimmingWorld and started to lose weight and I can’t believe how the flushes are subsiding if I’m honest . Eating more healthy and more balanced certainly helps and I didn’t think I would lose it with the menopause . I don’t get a lot of sleep and still get flushes and my brain will not retain information at all so work is really hard at the moment , and I do get anxious but it's better than it was. I hope you find something that works for you but a lot is just trying things x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
I take Citalopram for anxiety & not had a hot flush so far, even though my periods are all over the place for the last 10 months.

I read up on it and apparently it helps with the symptoms.

Win win!

Citalopram (Celexa) Effective for Treating Hot Flashes. For decades, estrogen has been used to treat menopausal symptoms, including night sweats and hot flushes. ... These studies also indicate that these antidepressants may be helpful for managing other menopausal symptoms, including mood changes and sleep disturbance.28 Jul 2015
Old 9 Dec 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I take sertraline, I actually don’t take them regularly but don’t know if I’m really supposed to do that. It keeps the anxiety at bay and I still get hot flushes, I had panic attacks starting 2012 and palpitations at night and had to do something, they really helped.
Old 9 Dec 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

So, back from the gp apt with a prescription for sertraline and after a month if they don't work I can have hrt gel. I've read the side effects and now scared to take them.