Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 17, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
buddy23
slightly serious Dibber

Flying in to miami

Keeping an eye on flight prices as hoping to return in the next year or 2! Looking at direct only from london or birmingham. Last year seemed to get good prices flying into to tampa which i think i would prefer but the prices into miami seem a much better offer so far this year eg £100+ pp cheaper (6 of us travelling) also the ba flydrives looking reasonable (just over £500 pp including car and insurance 21/8-4/9 2018) but again into miami. Just put off a bit by the drive up. Understand its fairly straight forward its thr time... about 3-3.5 hours? Is that about right? Just wondered what peoples experiences are. Would you do it again? 🤔🤔🤔
buddy23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

To save £600, yes. Happy to do the drive as long as I get to Orlando before or around midnight at the latest otherwise find a hotel for the night. I prefer the Florida Turnpike route others will have their own choices.
Old 18 Sep 17, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Malinki
Being a bit Goofy

I'm ridiculously tight and in your situation I would see that I'm being paid £600+ for a total drive of no more than 8 hours. £75 per hour is fine by me. Where do I book?
Slinky Malinki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We've done Miami before, but DH wasn't keen to do it again (not sure why) - we stayed in a hotel near the airport and drove up the next morning.

Try looking at BA flydrive into Tampa and out of Miami - we're doing this next year and for our dates worked out cheaper than returns to either Tampa or Miami.
Old 18 Sep 17, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We did it last year, direct from Heathrow and have just booked to do it again next year. We like to stay overnight and get a decent sleep and chill out befor driving up to Orlando. It's a pretty easy drive albeit a bit boring at times. We stopped at vero beach for some lunch, had we not stopped it would have been 3.5 hours.

Like I said, doing it again next summer, we're off 16th August to 3rd September, and we like Heathrow as its only 15 mins away so no faffing around with a Gatwick hotel or parking the car up.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
willssv
Excited about Disney

I've drove twice into Miami landing at 6pm and driving to Orlando. Both times I've got to the Villa about midnight. Miami is ok to get away from (the car hire being the slowest bit) and the drive is straight forward.

However, do not underestimate how tired you may be at this time. Midnight will feel like 5am the next day. It is a hard drive if you didn't sleep on the plane. Especially after it goes dark. The roads are very straight and long which makes for easy driving unless you are getting sleepy. In spite of doing this twice I wouldn't recommend it as its not for everyone.
willssv is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Miami is horrible. But for a raging of £600 - it may well be worth it.
The drive isn't that difficult - US-27 is right beside the Car Hire Centre and runs all the way to the Disney area. It takes 3.5 hours and is quite a nice drive (27).
But I detest the airport.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Donald 1983
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We are doing the same as OP next year and flying back on the same day, so interested to hear people's views.
The drive looks straight forward enough on google maps.
How much will we have to pay in tolls if we use the turnpike?
Big Donald 1983 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Big Donald 1983 View Post
We are doing the same as OP next year and flying back on the same day, so interested to hear people's views.
The drive looks straight forward enough on google maps.
How much will we have to pay in tolls if we use the turnpike?
We had a sunpass transponder turned on in our hire car, we drove too/from Miami, stopped off half way, and all around Orlando for 17 days last year and our bill with Avis for the tolls was £45

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
buddy23
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
We've done Miami before, but DH wasn't keen to do it again (not sure why) - we stayed in a hotel near the airport and drove up the next morning.

Try looking at BA flydrive into Tampa and out of Miami - we're doing this next year and for our dates worked out cheaper than returns to either Tampa or Miami.
How do i do this? Is it under the custom ypur trip option?
Thanks
buddy23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List