Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 19 Sep 17, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ravenwing
Trainee Dibber

Changed park hours - ADR dilemma!

Hi,

Just as I thought I had everything organised, I have just noticed that the park hours for Magic Kingdom in October have been changed, now opening at 0800 as standard. My dilemma is that I had carefully planned our first day as a fairly leisurely, take our time sort of day - we've never been before so I thought it would be nice to start with a Crystal Palace breakfast before the park opens and then just mosey around on the rides after that.

So with the park now open at 8, our ADR is 8.10 and seems a bit daft . Our fastpasses will still be fine, but the plan to ride some things without fastpasses when queues are quiet straight after opening has probably been scuppered. I just don't think I have the energy to come up with a better alternative now!
ravenwing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post

I don't believe an 8:10 for Crystal Palace would offer much advantage in terms of access to rides even if the hours were not changed. You would still not be let through to the ride areas until same time as everyone else. It is BoG and CRT that offers the early ride advantages.

So if you are happy with your current arrangement, not particularly looking to reorganise and looking forward to CP, I would just stick with it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bridgetx View Post
I don't believe an 8:10 for Crystal Palace would offer much advantage in terms of access to rides even if the hours were not changed. You would still not be let through to the ride areas until same time as everyone else. It is BoG and CRT that offers the early ride advantages.

So if you are happy with your current arrangement, not particularly looking to reorganise and looking forward to CP, I would just stick with it.
I agree about the pre park opening benefits. CP doesn't offer any anyway.
As Bridgetx says, it really is up to you whether you leave it as is. Personally I'd cancel as people seldom go to a park for an 8am opening and it'll most likely be relatively quiet. You can then go somewhere for either a late breakfast or early lunch when the park starts to fill.
Just my opinion and what I would do in that circumstance.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

You are getting there extremely early so you don't want to waste those golden hours. I would change to CP late breakfast or lunch.
AliceCooper9 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Personally I'd cancel as people seldom go to a park for an 8am opening and it'll most likely be relatively quiet.
We went last Oct/Nov when MK was opening at 8AM - in fact we did an EMH and got there for 7AM opening. The first hour was ridiculous - there was basically no-one in the park, and it didn't change much until getting towards 9AM.

I assume most people didn't realise it opened early, although I don't think there was very much notice of the schedule change last year.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
We went last Oct/Nov when MK was opening at 8AM - in fact we did an EMH and got there for 7AM opening. The first hour was ridiculous - there was basically no-one in the park, and it didn't change much until getting towards 9AM.

I assume most people didn't realise it opened early, although I don't think there was very much notice of the schedule change last year.
Could be. I also suspect many are like us and plan to go for opening at 8am or EMH but end up arriving nearly an hour after we planned .

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Could be. I also suspect many are like us and plan to go for opening at 8am or EMH but end up arriving nearly an hour after we planned .
It did feel a bit odd getting up at 5.30AM - and we're really not morning people! It was great though - still pitch dark at 7AM and it felt surreal. We rode 7DMT until we got bored of it!
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ravenwing
Trainee Dibber

Thanks for all the replies

We weren't really treating it as a way of stealing a march on rope-drop, it was just a more relaxing way of spending the hour before park opening than standing with the masses. Then maybe heading for the rides just after the biggest crowd had past.

But now we'll be an hour behind. I've checked if there are any bookings available on our other MK days but nothing. If I cancel we'll not likely head there at all, as it doesn't really make sense with our other plans. So the way I see it, I either stick with it because it will still be a nice way to kick off our first time there, or cancel and gain an extra hour but miss the experience of our kids eating with the characters. And we won't see Eeyore or Piglet anywhere else I think.

Mmmmmm decisions! Does anyone know if all the rides will open at 8, or do they stick with a sort of EMH schedule? I think I saw that the character meets don't start until 9.

Thanks again x
ravenwing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If you want to do it and had a plan then do it. It's your holiday. Unless it's a weekend it should be ok in October. It gets busier towards Halloween . Go and have a great time and see your kids faces meeting the CP characters
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ravenwing View Post
Thanks for all the replies

We weren't really treating it as a way of stealing a march on rope-drop, it was just a more relaxing way of spending the hour before park opening than standing with the masses. Then maybe heading for the rides just after the biggest crowd had past.

But now we'll be an hour behind. I've checked if there are any bookings available on our other MK days but nothing. If I cancel we'll not likely head there at all, as it doesn't really make sense with our other plans. So the way I see it, I either stick with it because it will still be a nice way to kick off our first time there, or cancel and gain an extra hour but miss the experience of our kids eating with the characters. And we won't see Eeyore or Piglet anywhere else I think.

Mmmmmm decisions! Does anyone know if all the rides will open at 8, or do they stick with a sort of EMH schedule? I think I saw that the character meets don't start until 9.

Thanks again x
Well if you were not thinking that it would be a means to get into queues early, then nothing has changed. So just do it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List