Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 May 20, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

What I'm interested in finding out about is the Disney water parks. Knowing that Volcano Bay will be open is one reason I'm interested in Universal.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
That might be true for those staying onsite (although I’d argue slightly with the amount), but if staying offsite it’s nowhere near £300 a day. The 3 of us have stayed offsite before and only spent £600 on food for the whole 2 weeks. Admittedly that was a few years ago when things were a bit cheaper.
Yes, when we stay in a villa our meal costs are much lower. At Disney, a good breakfast can cost over £50 for a family of 4 plus tip😀. We usually spend around £50-£60 on lunch at Disney too, evening meal is usually well over £100 for the 4 of us unless we have a quick serve offering like pizza
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
If only everyone was as sensible as you.
I haven't seen enough of your posts to know if that's sarcastic or not. If it wasn't then thanks. If it was then boohoo. I can't see them making guests pay extra because they involuntarily have to move to a more expensive resort. If the guests choose to rebook in a deluxe instead of a moderate for instance, or suddenly want to stay over Christmas or NYE, then that's another matter. The whole US free dining recovery deal was a way to make up for the fact that they were closed. It wouldn't come off well if they now forced people to upgrade their resort and pay more, while also taking away their free dining plans. There wouldn't be much recovery effort left.

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
If it was me I wouldn't go ... my DH still wants to , probably because we will lose a lot of money if we dont... We are due to go in August 9th we could amend flight dates but it wouldn't help at the minute... I will not take a voucher (dont knowing it is available to us) If they go bust and you have a voucher you are not entitled to money back through your CC ( according to Martin Lewis) I would not want to be in that position...

It is a case of waiting and seeing ... I am not very patient but have been sat here pretty quietly waiting and seeing...If lockdown was strict still I would be holding out hope for it being cancelled now a lot of DIYers are in limbo due to the amount of money already invested .
For what it's worth the open tickets Virgin have created are not vouchers. They are still tickets that have the original e-ticket number. Our reward (partner) flights would have been completed this past week, and even though the original itinerary is no longer visible on the Virgin website I can still pull it up on another website so the itinerary is still attached to the ticket. The status of the flight coupons changed from "airport control" to "open for use" a couple of days after the date of each flight passed.

That might be true for those staying onsite (although I’d argue slightly with the amount), but if staying offsite it’s nowhere near £300 a day. The 3 of us have stayed offsite before and only spent £600 on food for the whole 2 weeks. Admittedly that was a few years ago when things were a bit cheaper.
Agreed, you can eat very cheaply if you want to. I've done a weekend on my own with $28 and a full week with about $150 including 3 park days with Disney food. It's a different mindset than being on a DP but it can be done.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Mobile

After saying I’d cancel in a bit of a strop at the start of this thread, if I got 35% off the room cost then maybe that would maybe work out ok.

Have to wait and see I guess.
Old 30 May 20, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
I haven't seen enough of your posts to know if that's sarcastic or not. If it wasn't then thanks. If it was then boohoo. I can't see them making guests pay extra because they involuntarily have to move to a more expensive resort. If the guests choose to rebook in a deluxe instead of a moderate for instance, or suddenly want to stay over Christmas or NYE, then that's another matter. The whole US free dining recovery deal was a way to make up for the fact that they were closed. It wouldn't come off well if they now forced people to upgrade their resort and pay more, while also taking away their free dining plans. There wouldn't be much recovery effort left.

For what it's worth the open tickets Virgin have created are not vouchers. They are still tickets that have the original e-ticket number. Our reward (partner) flights would have been completed this past week, and even though the original itinerary is no longer visible on the Virgin website I can still pull it up on another website so the itinerary is still attached to the ticket. The status of the flight coupons changed from "airport control" to "open for use" a couple of days after the date of each flight passed.

Agreed, you can eat very cheaply if you want to. I've done a weekend on my own with $28 and a full week with about $150 including 3 park days with Disney food. It's a different mindset than being on a DP but it can be done.
Will look into it a bit more thanks x
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
What I'm interested in finding out about is the Disney water parks. Knowing that Volcano Bay will be open is one reason I'm interested in Universal.
I’m guessing because Disney have said you have to wear masks in the parks it would make it tricky in the waterparks. Social distancing might be trickier at the waterparks too.

Mind you, Volcano Bay has the same restrictions so I wonder how wear cloth masks will work there?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

I’m guessing because Disney have said you have to wear masks in the parks it would make it tricky in the waterparks. Social distancing might be trickier at the waterparks too.

Mind you, Volcano Bay has the same restrictions so I wonder how wear cloth masks will work there?
Masks aren't required t volcano bay, thank goodness!
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Universal have said no masks on slides and in pools in Volcano Bay. When I go to water parks I don't spend any time sunbathing, all my time is spent in the water.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
It was not at all meant to sound sarcastic. I genuinely meant It as your response was what I had been thinking, but I wanted to pose the question and see what others thought. So it was reassuring to get a reply from someone who thought the same.

Thanks

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It was not at all meant to sound sarcastic. I genuinely meant It as your response was what I had been thinking, but I wanted to pose the question and see what others thought. So it was reassuring to get a reply from someone who thought the same.

Thanks
Sorry if my comment was strange but it can be difficult to "read" the tone of a post sometimes if you're not too familiar with the person who posted. I meant no harm.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List