Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Mar 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

knee keeps locking up

My knee seems to keep 'locking' if i bend it too much. There's no pain but it locks up and i can't fully straighten my leg and then within a few minutes it starts to ease again. I've noticed when I bend my knee it makes a crunching noise. Ive kind of just put up with it over the last couple of months thinking that it could be due to the cold weather hoping it would go away. Any idea what this could be? I probably need to go and see someone but just hoping that it isn't going to involve surgery
WDW and Universal August 2022
NY and WDW March 2024
jenna288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 21, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Sounds like Osteoarthritis.
I have it in my knee but I get pain as well as crunching. My knee doesn't lock but my Aunts does.

You need to see your Dr for a proper diagnosis.
Old 30 Mar 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

My knee locked on me when I was a young man playing squash (no pain but knee locked and couldn't straighten it up). I went to A and E and kept me in and did a cartilage operation the next day.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 21, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by missy E View Post
Sounds like Osteoarthritis.
I have it in my knee but I get pain as well as crunching. My knee doesn't lock but my Aunts does.

You need to see your Dr for a proper diagnosis.
Thank you for replying - is there treatment at all?
NY and WDW March 2024
jenna288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 21, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
My knee locked on me when I was a young man playing squash (no pain but knee locked and couldn't straighten it up). I went to A and E and kept me in and did a cartilage operation the next day.
I hope this isn't the case. It does release after a few minutes and goes completely back to normal but just just keeps reocurring when i crouch down.
NY and WDW March 2024
Old 30 Mar 21, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Both my Dad and my son get this. Dad's was cartilage, had small op which stopped it happening as regularly this was 20 years ago and he's now 81 and it locks very rarely.

My son was 16 and they said his was growing issues that some parts had grown quicker than others? but he had a course of physio and its improved.
Old 30 Mar 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jenna288 View Post
I hope this isn't the case. It does release after a few minutes and goes completely back to normal but just just keeps reocurring when i crouch down.
I really haven't a clue if yours is cartilage or osteoporosis, but I guess a scan or Xray would soon confirm either way.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 21, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Sounds like you have a meniscus tear. Mine jams & locks . Surgery needed to remove the damage. Physio can help.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 21, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

just an update. Went to the GP a couple of weeks ago and he seems to think probably loose cartiledge and put in for an MRI and xray. Got my xray next Friday. My knee seems to be locking up alot less (although still not right) but I seem to have developed pain in my hip (on the same side as my knee) virtually over night. Starts off okay in the morning but by the end of the day its very uncomfortable and not easy to walk around. Does anyone know if this could be connected? Feel like i'm falling apart!
NY and WDW March 2024
Old 7 May 21, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Sounds like my knee. I have cartilage removed when I was small for a bone infection. Now the joint rubs and locks.

Your walk changes to compensate for the knee, which then leads to pain in the hip.

Edited at 09:12 AM.
Emmie2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List