Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Oct 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Information about Prozac please

After working with an animal behaviourist for over a year with no meaningful result for my poor horse's anxiety, the vet has agreed to try her on fluoxitine (Prozac). Obviously the horse can't tell me how it's feeling for her so if anybody who has been on it is willing to give me some info;
It takes 2 - 6 weeks to start working I've been told. Are there any side-effects or 'feeling weird' in that initial phase? Anything I might notice after only a few days?
Once it starts to work, do you wake up one morning thinking "OMG I feel so much better" or is it a gentle and gradual improvement over 2 - 3 (or more) weeks?
And, if you don't mind saying, how long were you on it and did the effects of it last for you after you weaned off it?

It's quite experimental in the UK for horses although it's more commonly prescribed (and probably with less care) in the USA. Also the horse will be having behavioural therapy at the same time; I know it's not a miracle cure on its own. I'm at my wit's end trying to help her and none of the herbal or over-the-counter supplements have made a difference for her at all so I really have my fingers crossed for this
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

It's been a long time since I was on it(15 years ago). Since then I have used a number of other non-medicated methods to keep in check - CBT and Mindfulness type stuff.

I felt sleepy for the first week or two when starting it, I noticed all it did for me was to smooth out the bumps - so no massive ups and no massive downs - just sort of a bland/numb middle ground.

After a while I didn't like the bubble/numb feeling, came off it fairly quickly (after taking for a year, stopped in about 60 days) but was actively doing stuff to counteract any drop-off (running and gym at least 5 days a week).
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
It's been a long time since I was on it(15 years ago). Since then I have used a number of other non-medicated methods to keep in check - CBT and Mindfulness type stuff.

I felt sleepy for the first week or two when starting it, I noticed all it did for me was to smooth out the bumps - so no massive ups and no massive downs - just sort of a bland/numb middle ground.

After a while I didn't like the bubble/numb feeling, came off it fairly quickly (after taking for a year, stopped in about 60 days) but was actively doing stuff to counteract any drop-off (running and gym at least 5 days a week).
I felt the same - I was living in this very narrow place where I wasn't sad but I wasn't happy either. I've had sertraline since which I found much better - it made me feel more purposeful. But I don't know if there's an option like that for horses.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

What does your horse do to show she is anxious?
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
What does your horse do to show she is anxious?
Please, I just want information about Prozac. I've had years of advice on how to treat her problems and nothing works
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Please, I just want information about Prozac. I've had years of advice on how to treat her problems and nothing works
I didn't read that as if they were going to offer you advice, just that they were interested in how it manifests itself in a horse.
I must admit to being curious too .. genuinely interested in how it shows in a horse.

I've got no advice at all, but really hope you can work it out for her.
Joa
Old 12 Oct 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I think if you post threads then people should be ok to be interested and ask polite questions. I don’t think you can tailor your responses to say ‘I only want’

Our horses aren’t anxious, so I have no specific advice, but I’d always be willing to hear suggestions too regardless if it was mine, even if you have heard them before. Weirder things have happened than finding someone with the exact same horse issue on the Dibb.
Old 12 Oct 21, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Well OK I will try
She has severe agoraphobia. Even walking from the field to the barn worries her immensely even though she does it several times a week. Actually in the field or in the barn she is fine. She can stay in either alone, even; but she can't relax in between them even with another horse accompanying.
She can't go anywhere 'off property' because of this. A walk to the end of the lane sets her dangerously anxious.
She has unreasonable responses to a scare - for an example, if a pheasant whooshes out of the hedge near her then she can't go near that part of the field for at least a couple of days - even when all the other horses are standing there and she is left at the other end of the field alone
With great persistence and patience and working every single day I can get a small improvement in this. Then I leave it for a couple of days and we are back to the beginning. She's unable to learn that things aren't as scary as she thinks because she's too scared to learn anything
Old 14 Oct 21, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Nobody has any information they are willing to share?
Old 14 Oct 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DavieBhoy
VIP Dibber

DavieBhoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

Hi, I am currently taking and have been for a couple of years due to anxiety and menopause issues. I was not keen initially and did feel a bit spaced out for a few days, upset stomach and lack of appetite but these symptoms passed, on lowest dose, supposed to be daily but after I felt more like myself after maybe 3 months I now take every second day. It has worked for me, can’t comment on coming off it yet. Hope it helps your situation with your poor horse.

Tracy

DavieBhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List