Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 3 Dec 21, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Miami departure Sep 2022

Hey all
Well my very very very first cruise is now booked for Sep 2022
A cruise is on bucket list since being widowed, so thought lets do it Disney.
I travel solo mostly, as children with grandchildren are very limited to their holidays (due to cost)

So questions as a newbie:
I am staying at POR for 5 nights before cruise. (not driving)
Cannot do the disney cruise transport to Miami, so...

1) I will uber/lyft down and guessing this will be about 3 hours - do you know what time I need to be there for boarding? How much Lyft would costish?

2) Is it then easy to get a Lyft back to Orlando? Will probably end with a couple of nights at universal.

3) Day at Nassau, what can I book? What should I avoid?

4) Tipping, I have been explained about the tickets to put in envelopes at end of trip, anything else I should know about tips?

5) ALL other tips and what to do's for a single adult please do drop them here.

Thank you
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
How exciting I’m sure you will love your first cruise.

I’m quite sure it was more like 4 hours from Orlando to Miami. I really would look at a flight from Orlando to Miami. An Uber return would be extortionate. We did one way car hires.

We really didn’t like Nassau. If we went again I wouldn’t get off and we would enjoy an empty ship for the day.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Nanny View Post
I am staying at POR for 5 nights before cruise. (not driving)
Cannot do the disney cruise transport to Miami, so...
Can I ask did you look at options out of Port Canaveral? Seems like a bit of a hike just to cruise a standard itinerary (Nassau)

1) I will uber/lyft down and guessing this will be about 3 hours - do you know what time I need to be there for boarding? How much Lyft would costish?
So there is a bus service between Orlando international airport and Miami airport which might be a cheaper option. Also you might want to look at things like Larry's Limos (not just limo service) as they are pretty reasonable price wise too. I haven't used Lyft so not sure on their pricing. In terms of arrival time, you select a port arrival time during the check in process which I think is at 60 days currently (used to be earlier pre-covid). They range from around 11am through to 3pm.

2) Is it then easy to get a Lyft back to Orlando? Will probably end with a couple of nights at universal.
Again not sure on price sorry.

3) Day at Nassau, what can I book? What should I avoid?
Personally I don't find much in Nassau to do. There's dolphin/swimming type activities but these don't really interest me. The town itself is small and personally not my taste. There's a straw market but I found it felt a little "pestering" to me when I ventured out solo. I perfer to spend the time onboard and experience a less crowded ship

4) Tipping, I have been explained about the tickets to put in envelopes at end of trip, anything else I should know about tips?
Bar drinks or speciality drinks at restaurants have automatic gratuity added to them which include speciality coffees etc.

5) ALL other tips and what to do's for a single adult please do drop them here.
Honestly I love travelling solo on Disney. My biggest tip is get involved. There is so much going on you will love it.
Old 6 Dec 21, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Nassau is a few hours’ wonder around. There is honestly not much to see there. It was absolutely sweltering the day we went so the family went back to ship after about an hour and a half, I had another hour taking photos and walked quite a way out of the centre.
Lots of high end shops, a market, a few buildings like the pink courthouse/ town hall I think it was. Some very ‘dodgy’ areas with shops selling fake goods etc mixed in. A McDonalds for a drink. The beaches near the centre are not all that. You can take trips off to ‘Blue Lagoon’ or Atlantis but frankly I’d have rather been back on the quiet ship, enjoying the pool and my drinks package (was on Royal Caribbean). We also went to Coco Cay. Now that was something else. I’d much rather have cruised there, stayed 2 days and come back, it was amazing.
This was taken in port:

Edited at 09:27 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You can take trips off to ‘Blue Lagoon’ or Atlantis but frankly I’d have rather been back on the quiet ship, enjoying the pool and my drinks package (was on Royal Caribbean).
Ha ha - so other cruiser is on Disney and they don't do a drinks package unfortunately but completely agree.

Disney have Castaway Cay as their private island and it is lovely