Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 17 Nov 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Amazon no longer accepting Visa Credit Card

I've just received an email, and had to google to make sure it wasn't spam - but as of January 2022 Amazon will no longer be accepting UK issued Visa credit cards due to high costs.

The email reads:

We’re writing to notify you of an upcoming change to Amazon.co.uk.

Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one.

I've had my Visa credit card for 20+ years, I will not be switching, and I won't use my debit card on Amazon as there's little protection - so it looks like Amazon will be losing me as a customer.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’ve just tried to change my linked card to my visa debit. Was a bit of a pain but think I’ve done it!
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Not just Amazon. I bank with NatWest and have been notified my current Visa Debit Card is changing to a MasterCard Debit Card in December.

Seems Visa has scored a bit of an own goal.

However I see Amazon are offering a £20 bung so I will use my Amex Card for shopping

My God I can’t live without Amazon

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I thought at first it may be a phishing attempt but it seems legit.

Amazon are ramping up the pressure on Visa to lower charges, pure and simple. Visa can’t risk not having Amazon spending, it will lose a fortune in fees.

My prediction- Visa will lower charges and Amazon will continue to take it.
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
This is exactly what my husband just said.

I do shop a lot on Amazon. But more and more recently, they're not the cheapest. If they go through with this, I'll be looking elsewhere!
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I thought it was a scam too and googled!

My current account has recently switched to Mastercard from Visa but I have my credit card elsewhere and that's Visa. I have my debit card as default on Amazon so no need to update but I like to buy big purchases on the credit card.

I'm another who uses Amazon all the time so I'll just have to go with it or perhaps look for another credit card.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Don’t think I’ve ever had a visa credit card, mine have all been Mastercard.

Seems like an ideal time for Mastercard and Amex to push some Amazon offers to scoop up the visa credit customers.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Over here in Singapore, Amazon Singapore recently introduced a 0.5% surcharge for use of Visa credit cards on their site.

But... I get up to 5% cashback with the Visa credit card I normally use for online purchases so have stuck with using my Visa card on Amazon Singapore. I did have a look at the alternatives (Mastercard/etc) but couldn't find a card with benefits that I like as much as my current Visa cards...
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I thought at first it may be a phishing attempt but it seems legit.

Amazon are ramping up the pressure on Visa to lower charges, pure and simple. Visa can’t risk not having Amazon spending, it will lose a fortune in fees.

More likely Mastercard will up their fees for Amazon. Who else can Amazon go to of they do? Amazon has more to lose than Visa unless more business follow suit. Amazon make billions in profit so can afford to absorb the fees. There is no way they are struggling.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
More likely Mastercard will up their fees for Amazon. Who else can Amazon go to of they do? Amazon has more to lose than Visa unless more business follow suit. Amazon make billions in profit so can afford to absorb the fees. There is no way they are struggling.
Exactly. I could understand a small independent stopping due to the fee increase but Amazon? No, their revenue last year was £20b in the UK alone. They can pay the fee.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List