Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 2 Dec 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Is Anyone with Diabetes Worried About Going to Disney

As the title says really

Our trip to California/Florida has been cancelled 3 times now and we are set to travel in March 2022.

However, I am getting increasingly worried about my 2 boys who are Type 1 Diabetics and wonder am I putting them at risk going, especially after the World Health Organisation announced Diabetics should cancel their trips if travelling to places where there is spread? !

Are any other diabetics going soon from this group? What is your advice and how do you feel about going

I just don’t know if I should be cancelling?

2012 WDW Mom's Panel Search Finalist
Sheraton Safari Jan 05 & Feb 08
Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi Louise

I wasn’t going to reply but as nobody else has I’ll give it a go!

I think the dilemma for you as a mum is the overwhelming desire to keep your children safe.

It’s easier for me, as I’m the T1 so I’m making the decision about me rather than my children (hope that makes sense).

I would be very happy to travel to the USA in March (and have plans to) and I wouldn’t be worried about COVID. But I’m triple jabbed and I guess your children may not be.

I think the other element is whether you are going to worry about it a lot and whether you would be better postponing a bit for peace of mind?

Even with fully refundable flights worrying about will we / won’t we can be unsettling.

I’m assuming your insurance would still cover you? I haven’t looked in detail at the WHO advice but the levels in the USA are relatively low so I’m not sure the risk is higher there than here.

I’m not sure if that helps you - I hope so - I do understand why you are concerned but I guess only you can decide if you’re comfortable or not.

Karen
Old 4 Dec 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
lexie32
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Hi Louise, for me it comes down to insurance, if the insurance company is still happy to cover for any illness for my type 1 teen including coronavirus I would be more than happy to go ahead with my holiday as he’s triple jabbed and didn’t get it 2weeks ago when his sister came down with it, if I was in any doubt of the insurance company paying out if there was a problem I would have to cancel.
I totally feel your pain with all the uncertainty we have not been on a proper holiday since aug 2919 and I’m now seeing next years trip being cancelled as dh is not happy to travel if we have to take tests to get in or out of the country, it just adds too much stress for him to make it worthwhile going 😢 but on the other hand I’m seeing my kids grow up far too quickly and wondering how many more trips they will want to come with us.
Jan 97 - May 03 - QIP, May 04 - Wyndham /HRH, Sept 05 - Windsor Palms, May 07 - Windsor Hills, May 08 - WiH/HRH, May09 - CP/ WL /Bradenton, May/June10 - CP/ YC/Bradenton May/June 11 P.E & Sunset Lakes, May/June 2012 YC/AKL, May/June 13 Sheraton ViV HRH &YC May 14 Sandpearl , Rennaisance SW & PBH, May 16 BC and Sandpearl, Oct 17 BC. Aug 19 Miami & Wilderness Lodge Aug 2020 Sandpearl Margaritaville & Hard Rock
lexie32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Hi Karen. Hope you are keeping well.

Both boys are triple vaccinated now and yes as you say, as a mom I am worried about them. Probably wouldn’t be so bad if it was me not them with diabetes.

We are desperate for our holiday but don’t want the worry to take over. Up to now we have escaped this and pray we continue to do so. I know we could catch covid anywhere, as easy here, as it is there but just wondered what other peoples thoughts are?

Are you going in March too?

Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Hi Lexie
I agree the insurance has to cover everything. I am getting in touch with the insurance company tomorrow to see exactly what they cover.

Just really desperate to go.

Old 7 Dec 21, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Spoke to my insurance today and they cover most eventualities. However they did say they won’t cover us if we have paid and the WHO advise us against travel. This worries me because this is WHO’s latest advice -

In addition, all travellers should be reminded to remain vigilant for signs and symptoms of COVID-19, to get vaccinated when it is their turn and to adhere to public health and social measures at all times and regardless of vaccination status, including by using masks appropriately, respecting physical distancing, following good respiratory etiquette and avoiding crowded and poorly ventilated spaces. Persons who are unwell, or who have not been fully vaccinated or do not have proof of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and are at increased risk of developing severe disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities that present increased risk of severe COVID-19 (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes) should be advised to postpone travel to areas with community transmission.*

Old 7 Dec 21, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi Louise

I guess it depends on the interpretation the WHO have for “community transmission”? I don’t know what that means. Surely it couldn’t be for places with low rates … could it?!

It’s very unhelpful wording. But the way I read it (do not take my word for this) is that if you have those co-morbidities AND are not fully vaccinated you should not travel. If your boys are fully jabbed, they are OK?

That’s how I read it but I don’t know if I’m reading it correctly?

We are planning eight nights in Orlando in March, all being well
Old 7 Dec 21, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I guess it depends on the interpretation the WHO have for “community transmission”? I don’t know what that means. Surely it couldn’t be for places with low rates … could it?!
Orange County has just been categorised as a "rapid riser" for transmission by The White House, making it the only Floridian county with that classification.

There are some caveats as to why, which you can read here - wftv/news/local/oran...KX63HQJHRTUEM/ - but the categorisation has been given.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 21, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Orange County has just been categorised as a "rapid riser" for transmission by The White House, making it the only Floridian county with that classification.

There are some caveats as to why, which you can read here - wftv/news/local/oran...KX63HQJHRTUEM/ - but the categorisation has been given.
Thanks Bozza. That didn’t help me understand if it would make the WHO’s category though (unless I missed it). The overall case numbers in isolation don’t tell me a lot either but I’m probably just missing something obvious
Old 7 Dec 21, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Thanks Bozza. That didn’t help me understand if it would make the WHO’s category though (unless I missed it). The overall case numbers in isolation don’t tell me a lot either but I’m probably just missing something obvious
Sorry - I wasn't suggesting I had the answer or if that categorisation was definitive in any way.

We know that insurance companies can try to wriggle out of their obligations if they can find something to cling to, so I just wanted to highlight that in case it did help those with a decision to make in any way.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List