Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 7 Dec 21, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
hollysmum
Excited about Disney

Genie + first hand experience

Hello

Im not sure if this is the right place or if this will help anyone but I wanted to let you know about my Genie + experience this weekend.

I purchased Genie + on Friday morning to use at Epcot. I found it extremely easy to use and managed to do all the rides I wanted to. In hindsight I wouldn’t use it for Epcot again but Im glad I tried it out. I started the day by going straight to the queue for Soarin and managed to get on it Standby in 20 minutes, this meant that I had a chance to use Genie + to go on it later when it was busier. The park was busy but I found it really easy to find an attraction to go on with Genie+ with a time that suited me. I would choose an attraction, go to it at my allocated time, scan my magic band at two points and then I was free to book my next Genie +. You get to go on each ride once with the Genie+ function. Just a tip, I managed to go on Test Track 4 times by going in single rider and didn’t have to pay for it at all! In the end with Genie+ and some standby I managed to go on Soarin twice, The seas, Livin with the land, Figment twice, Spaceship earth, Test track 4 times, The American Adventure (and it broke down once) and I went round the world numerous times.

On Saturday I got Genie+ for Magic Kingdom and boy did I need it! Even Small World had a 55 minute wait!

I did rope drop and managed to get on Mine Train after a 25 minute wait standby and then went to Haunted Mansion (5min wait) then Thunder Mountain which had a 20 min wait and then I started booking Genie+ attractions. my advice is DO NOT WAIT if there is a ride you really want to go on. At the start of the day the Genie+ availability tended to be very close to the actual time. As an example I got Dumbo in the morning within a few minutes of the actual time of day. As I was there all day I wanted to spread the rides out a bit and thought I could leave booking my Genie+ times but by the end of the day the next available Genie+ slots were two hours away. Also the Genie+ slots do run out so again my advice is book what you want as soon as you finish each ride. Saying this on a busy Saturday I did the following using Genie+ and waiting In STANDBY lines too:
Mine Train x2 (i paid for it once)
Tomorrowland Speedway
TTA
Dumbo
Buzz Lightyear
Little Mermaid
Peter Pan
Philharmagic x2
Haunted Mansion
Country Bear Jamboree 🤦🏻
Splash Mountain x3
Thunder Mountainx2
Pirates
Meeting Mickey

I could have easily booked Barnstormer and Winnie the Pooh earlier in the day but I left it too late. Also I could have done Carousel of Progress but my last trip my daughter and I got stuck in the first room for 3 rounds of it so Im a bit put off 🤣 If you are only visiting the parks for a couple of days I found it really great, I got to go on rides with minimal queues and it felt like I could do more than I used to. There is a bit of a downside though. You WILL spend the day looking at your phone which, to me, isn’t the point of being at Disney.

Not sure if this helps anyone but please feel free to ask any questions and I will help if I can. Alot of restaurants were now mobile order only which worked out a bit better for me but again its all on your phone. Take a power bank is my advice!

Edited at 10:34 AM.
hollysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 21, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for that. Did you buy on the day or day before?

Is it best to do a ride first thing then your first genie + ride?

Finally did you manage to do jungleland or was that mad busy?
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 21, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
hollysmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Stokieuk View Post
Thanks for that. Did you buy on the day or day before?

Is it best to do a ride first thing then your first genie + ride?

Finally did you manage to do jungleland or was that mad busy?
I bought Genie+ on the day probably about 7am? You can book your first Genie+ at 7am. IVE AMENDED THIS AFTER FINDING OUT CORRECT INFO FROM THE BRILLIANT DIBBERS 👍🏼

Also if you want to join the virtual queue for Ratatouille you have to be on it by 7am. I tried at 7.03 and the virtual queue was full.

There were plenty of Genie+ for Jingle Cruise but it was always a bit of a wait so I didn’t want to block my chances of booking another ride so I didn’t do it in the end.

Yes, I found first thing in the morning the queues were smaller so I didn’t want to waste my Genie+ on rides that I could walk onto as you only get to use it once per ride. Definitely book a Genie + for perhaps 9.30-10.30 (if the park opens at 9am) so you can get on a couple of rides waiting in standby queues and then get onto your Genie+ by 10.30 when it gets busier.

Genie+ works the same as the old paper fastpass. You can book one ride which has a one hour window, once you have scanned your Magic Band at normally two points on that ride you can book your next Genie+ attraction.

If, for example, it is 9am and you book a Genie+ for 2pm, you would only be allowed to book another Genie+ ride 120 minutes after 9am but not before. So I found it best to book the rides you wanted consecutively rather than far in advance but it got harder by the end of the day.

Hope that helps

Edited at 10:09 AM.
hollysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Stokieuk
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by hollysmum View Post
I bought Genie+ on the day probably about 7am? You can book your first Genie+ if you are staying at a resort hotel at 7am too. If you are off site you have to wait to book your first ride until the parks are open.

Also if you want to join the virtual queue for Ratatouille you have to be on it by 7am. I tried at 7.03 and the virtual queue was full.

There were plenty of Genie+ for Jingle Cruise but it was always a bit of a wait so I didn’t want to block my chances of booking another ride so I didn’t do it in the end.

Yes, I found first thing in the morning the queues were smaller so I didn’t want to waste my Genie+ on rides that I could walk onto as you only get to use it once per ride. Definitely book a Genie + for perhaps 9.30-10.30 (if the park opens at 9am) so you can get on a couple of rides and then get onto your Genie+ by 10.30 when it gets busier.

Genie+ works the same as the old paper fastpass. You can book one ride which has a one hour window, once you have scanned your Magic Band at normally two points on that ride you can book your next Genie+ attraction.

If, for example, it is 9am and you book a Genie+ for 2pm, you would only be allowed to book another Genie+ ride 120 minutes after 9am but not before. So I found it best to book the rides you wanted consecutively rather than far in advance but it got harder by the end of the day.

Hope that helps
Thank you 😊
Stokieuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 21, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I thought all guests could start booking at 7am for genie plus?
Old 8 Dec 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
hollysmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
I thought all guests could start booking at 7am for genie plus?
I think you can book the a la carte lightning lane at 7am which is Mine Train, Space a
Mountain, Frozen etc.

Found this on a website

“Guests staying at a Walt Disney World resort hotel are able to purchase and schedule the first individual Lightning Lane attraction at 7 am, ahead of off-site guests, who can to do so when the park opens.“
Old 8 Dec 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hollysmum View Post
Hello

Im not sure if this is the right place or if this will help anyone but I wanted to let you know about my Genie + experience this weekend.

I purchased Genie + on Friday morning to use at Epcot. I found it extremely easy to use and managed to do all the rides I wanted to. In hindsight I wouldn’t use it for Epcot again but Im glad I tried it out. I started the day by going straight to the queue for Soarin and managed to get on it Standby in 20 minutes, this meant that I had a chance to use Genie + to go on it later when it was busier. The park was busy but I found it really easy to find an attraction to go on with Genie+ with a time that suited me. I would choose an attraction, go to it at my allocated time, scan my magic band at two points and then I was free to book my next Genie +. You get to go on each ride once with the Genie+ function. Just a tip, I managed to go on Test Track 4 times by going in single rider and didn’t have to pay for it at all! In the end with Genie+ and some standby I managed to go on Soarin twice, The seas, Livin with the land, Figment twice, Spaceship earth, Test track 4 times, The American Adventure (and it broke down once) and I went round the world numerous times.

On Saturday I got Genie+ for Magic Kingdom and boy did I need it! Even Small World had a 55 minute wait!

I did rope drop and managed to get on Mine Train after a 25 minute wait standby and then went to Haunted Mansion (5min wait) then Thunder Mountain which had a 20 min wait and then I started booking Genie+ attractions. my advice is DO NOT WAIT if there is a ride you really want to go on. At the start of the day the Genie+ availability tended to be very close to the actual time. As an example I got Dumbo in the morning within a few minutes of the actual time of day. As I was there all day I wanted to spread the rides out a bit and thought I could leave booking my Genie+ times but by the end of the day the next available Genie+ slots were two hours away. Also the Genie+ slots do run out so again my advice is book what you want as soon as you finish each ride. Saying this on a busy Saturday I did the following using Genie+ and standby lines too:
Mine Train x2 (i paid for it once)
Tomorrowland Speedway
TTA
Dumbo
Little Mermaid
Peter Pan
Philharmagic x2
Haunted Mansion
Country Bear Jamboree 🤦🏻
Splash Mountain x3
Thunder Mountainx2
Pirates
Meeting Mickey

I could have easily booked Barnstormer and Winnie the Pooh earlier in the day but I left it too late. Also I could have done Carousel of Progress but my last trip my daughter and I got stuck in the first room for 3 rounds of it so Im a bit put off 🤣 If you are only visiting the parks for a couple of days I found it really great, I got to go on rides with minimal queues and it felt like I could do more than I used to. There is a bit of a downside though. You WILL spend the day looking at your phone which, to me, isn’t the point of being at Disney.

Not sure if this helps anyone but please feel free to ask any questions and I will help if I can. Alot of restaurants were now mobile order only which worked out a bit better for me but again its all on your phone. Take a power bank is my advice!
How did you do these 3x etc- thought Genie+ only worked once per day?
Old 8 Dec 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
hollysmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
How did you do these 3x etc- thought Genie+ only worked once per day?
I generally queued up for a ride as well as using Genie+ it worked really well together. Splash had a 5 minute wait several times so I just went on it then. Thunder I waited 25 mins once and then did Genie+ once. Philharmagic I used Genie+ and then walked on it at 9.55pm just before park close.

I was only in Florida for 72hours so I went hell for leather and did as much as I could, you could easily just use Genie+ and do a few rides and still have a wonderful day 🤗
Old 8 Dec 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Genie+ all guests (onsite and offsite) can book at 7am.

Individual Lightning Lane onsite at 7am offsite at park opening.

Good couple of days OP.