Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 17 Feb 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ticking the Boxes Aug 19 Day 3

We were, predictably, awake super early, and despite best efforts, were to be found drinking coffee at a small table beside the lake at 6.30am! Ooopsie! It was beautiful watching the light arrive,

and there were, unsurprisingly, not many people around! It did feel weird BB chatting to his DD at that time in the morning,

but it was lovely too! As it was so early, and we had FP’s for mid-morning onwards in MK, we did what anyone would do … make a new plan!

Last year I had taken ill whilst in AK, so we had missed out on pandora. We figured, that If we bussed over, queued and rode Flights of passage, we would do well. With new wedding ears in place, we set off!

We were on our way by 710, the busses get lots of flack often, but even though we were bus stop 4, we never had an issue from CSR. I did like the digital ‘next bus arriving’ displays. They were kind of right-ish. At least we knew we were going. Anyway, we were on our way quickly this morning. AK officially opened at 8am, but we knew they were letting people through security and park opening around 7.30 so thought we would give it a try. Being 2 adults, we didn’t have much of a bag to carry, so were through quickly. And hit by a throng of people waiting to go through the tapstiles.

We did wonder if we had made a mistake, but figured even if we had a long wait, we would still be among the first in.
The reality was only a few minutes wait before it started to move. We were quickly through with our bands (and finger as it was first entry) and we were off. We knew where we were heading, but even if we hadn’t been, we would have just been able to follow the crowd! We were moving, not at breakneck speed, but with the crowd. The CM’s were forming us into a queue which was fine. We were impressed with the entry to Pandora.

Then slightly daunted as we were made to go to the bridge from Africa to form the queue. We thought this may therefore take a reeeealy long time.

Again though, the reality was not too bad at all. Through the ride entrance at 7.56!

We did slow down once through, but we knew by then that the wait was going to mean we got on. Our gamble had paid off!
Of course we were blown away by all the scenery outside. I wasn’t as impressed by the scene setting inside.

I was glad it was early and there were no people in the FP queue. I’d have found it claustrophobic if we were rammed in. Queuing inside took about 30 minutes. Some of that was queue and some was preshow. Preshow was ok, I wasn’t blown away by it, some wave at the screen time, which I filled the time with ‘let me just get on the ride’ thoughts!

Then we were on. Bags in shelves and then onto the bike shaped banshee. It was easy to settle into position, if a little novel! The glasses were unusually comfortable which helped. Again there was a little preshow, before we were off!
Amazing! It took us through Pandora, up, down and all around. Now I haven’t seen Avatar, but could still be impressed by the whole land. I loved feeling the banshee ‘breathing’ beneath me. I enjoyed the wind, the fact that you feel like you are flying and that the ride is not all at the same pace. There are fast bits and pause points, which was fab. My coming off the ride summary was that it was like soarin on speed! Probably the best ride in wdw!

We were off by 8.45, ready to take some photos and think what to do next!

Our FP’s were in MK and we had done our mad dash over to AK, and achieved our aim! We took some photos and then found a PP so queued for that. Already it was very very hot! We decided to go on Navi river journey, as we were there. We started to queue just outside the shaded area, it said 50 mins, which is a loooong queue. We could see the queue was moving so went for it anyway. It was about 30 minutes, but we were taking in the theming, being silly

discussing our next moves and people watching. I love trying to work out the family relationships, particularly of a large group. The River journey was not anything to write home about. It had fancy luminescence, (which didn't photograph well!)

but it really didn’t blow us away. It is more of a crowd eater ride while they are in Pandora. It was cooler than outside, so there is a positive! Done it now, wont bother again! We began to make our way out, taking in the music as we went past. So Pandora was the first tick of the holiday done! We hoped we would be back later on to see Rivers of light.

caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
I can’t remember how we got to MK, but clearly we did! I do remember being the first people to leave AK. The CM commented! Obligatory outside MK photo.

Unusually the PP person offered to take some on my camera too. I know they are willing, but don’t usually offer. Ready for park 2 of the day by 10.31!

Out first FP was to meet Mickey. We hoped for some good interaction with our ears and happily ever after badges. And that’s what we got. Minnie showed Mickey my ring,

and Mickey congratulated both of us.

I enjoyed their celebrating outfits too.

Such fun!
As we came out, we caught most of the Move it shake it parade. Proper Disney fun!

We enjoyed wandering up towards the hub. It was time to just take it all in and take in the sights.

We went around the back of the castle in search of food – a really early lunch! We went into Pinocchio village haus. I know we had chicken parmesan and some salad as a side between us. It worked really well to share a main and side between us. It means we could eat little and often. We certainly didn’t starve, but we also left very little food. American portions are just SO huge! Once done, having looked over it, we wandered round and did a MK must do (that I haven’t done for quite a while!) Small world.

It is a once in a few trips kind of ride. But still fun. The tune didn’t get stuck in my head which is a bonus! BB was getting frustrated with his go pro getting overheated, so it wasn’t recording as much as he would have liked. I’m not sure that small world would be on any holiday videos he produced!
As this was an easy going day, and we had time to enjoy, we went on Little mermaid, again, just a sweet ride! Selfies are still a work in progress!

I’m glad we took time to do some of these rides. But I do wonder when they will decide to retire her! Then last FP of the day. I don’t know why, but I really wanted to ride …

Dumbo! It was fun! I love that this ride got doubled so there was little queue and am sure it will last forever!
BB is not quite as mad as me, so character meets at this stage are my department. Daisy is def a fan of mine!

She would not let go of me! BB had to rescue me so we could move onto Pluto! We were getting weary now, so were heading out of the park. We had agreed it, but I wanted to take a few hub photos first. It was only there that I spotted the magic hub ‘I was here’ photo op. BB didn’t even get to find out why before I was in the queue. It was another of my things I wanted to tick of my list! Thank you to the dibbers who first highlighted it for me! You stand on the left of the hub with the castle behind you looking to the top of the rooftop. A PP with an iPad then tells you to stand still and look. They take the photo and then a short movie of the camera panning in and out, so you are centre, and gradually as it goes out you get smaller, but the castle appears.

My favourite clip of the holiday.

Because we only had a week, there was none of the usual walking past something and thinking ‘I’ll do that next visit’. If we wanted to do something it was best to do it then. So although I intended to walk into the ice cream place and by the Mickey kitchen sink, this happened ….

I had a moment of maturity and decided I didn’t need the trousers at home. I’d rather have the apple cinnamon thing! We really really were leaving the park next? No … another tick to be taken first. We bought a couple of balloons!

I loved them, they were a pain to manoeuvre, and yes we are officially grown up, but BB knew I really wanted on, and he bought it! What a keeper!

Inevitably it took time to do, especially as we then had some photos taken with the balloons!

One more thing before we left the park … to post in the box a postcard, and hand in an invitation to our wedding at guest services for Mickey and Minnie. (If I remember I’ll add a photo of the postcard they sent later). Just as the postcard was being posted,

we realised how close the parade was to reaching the flagpole. We had literally no choice! We had to watch! Well I watched, camera in hand while BB sat in the shade.

I think it was full of pixie dust, as my eyes needed to clear themselves a couple of times in that parade!

Our ‘leaving the park’ attempts had taken about 2 hours! The bus took us quickly back to resort where a nana nap was definitely needed! The plan was to go to AK to watch rivers of light. So alarms were set.

caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hmmmm … that wasn’t enough! BB needed to sleep, so I took my balloon out and took some ‘arty’ photos in the sunset!

I popped across to El Mercado and bought a box of crackers and cream cheese for tea. Filled up the refillable mugs and went back.

BB was still not up for anything, so I left him to it! I went up to the top of the tower to see what I could see. I loved the fancy lifts where you select the floor and then get told which lift to get into. It was all so knew and gleaming! The bar looks very fresh and clean, with lots of people up there just having a look. As I stood there the epcot fireworks were starting. Some very nice people, moved so I could take a few photos.

I realised very quickly that they were a bunch of CM’s. I turned to thank them for moving, they heard my accent and immediately started up conversations. They had done the smugglers run as a preview and were comparing notes. Then moved onto the other Disney parks and where they had visited. I guess I spend an hour chatting with them, really nice people. I probably could have stayed, but it was a gathering for one of their birthdays so I thought I’d leave them to themselves. It really is a nice place to enjoy different views of the area.
How Id kept going till 9.30 I have no idea! But that’s where I called it a night! Thankfully the next morning was not planned to be as early!
Old 17 Feb 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Busy first day!
Old 17 Feb 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
That was a busy but good day

Joan
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

What a fantastic first day, I admire your stamina. Some great photos too.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 05:43 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
What a fantastic first day, I admire your stamina. Some great photos too.
It wasnt till typing it up that I realised how much we did do!
Old 20 Feb 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
I love those early coffee mornings, they were some of my most favourite moments of our trip. Glad you got to do FOP its definitely the best ride i've ever been on.
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Originally Posted by Jules32 View Post
I love those early coffee mornings, they were some of my most favourite moments of our trip. Glad you got to do FOP its definitely the best ride i've ever been on.
They are the best mornings. BB appreciates them more than me, as he tends to be an early riser. I need my sleep!