Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 19, 02:38 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Smile: the sound of crickets

Cringe: picking a rough hitel on OBT for my very first nights stay because I didn't know any better
Aha! Really good call on the sound of crickets. Definitely something that should sound very 'foreign' when you stop to think about it.

And a big for the OBT hotel! That is for sure somewhere most tourist shouldn't visit. There are some on the stretch just south of downtown that charge by the hour, not the day!
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
And a big for the OBT hotel! That is for sure somewhere most tourist shouldn't visit. There are some on the stretch just south of downtown that charge by the hour, not the day!
Back in the day, a friend was in a group of naive Scottish girls in their twenties and they hadn't booked all their hotels in advance. They had to move on as their current hotel was full the next night and they told the receptionist "it's ok, we managed to get a room in a hotel on the Orange Blosson Trail". The receptionist gasped and phoned round all her friends at other hotels to get them something else. They had no idea and just thought it was just a kind act by the receptionist 🤣🤣
Old 23 Oct 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Cringe - going every year as a child and refulling at Bangor on the tristar.

Smile - no fast passes, no long queues, and the exchange rate!
Old 23 Oct 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz n' Piglet
Imagineer

Mobile

First time visit as a 9 year old. We got free Hoover flights in 1993!

Smile - 2 adults, 2 kids and luggage for a fortnight and we got some wee green sports car thing

Cringe - my aunt who organised everything didnt get on the plane due a fear of flying. My parents had no clue where to go, other than a cross on a bit of a map for the villa and a phone number for villa management. Got lost, ended up in a McDonald's god knows where.

Smile - parents using a pay phone in McDs to call management company. Simpler times!

Cringe - going to closed office of villa management company late at night to get villa keys from a lock box. Villa was off the 192 somewhere.

Smile - still going as an adult now with my wife and daughter and love it just as much.
Buzz n' Piglet is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

flickr/photos/hollyw...n/photostream/

We stayed here on OBT in about 1985 with Airtours, it was fab. not a bit racey!
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Cringe: as a kid, the following things-
Having to endure the smoking section at the back of the plane.
Getting to watch a tiny overhead TV about 5 seats away with only one film option
Doing 3 indirect flights (15hrs) just to get there as we flew from Norwich.
Having to go to a timeshare presentation for half a day just to get free Disney tickets.

Smile: This is the norm now, but one of my earliest and fondest memories is from communicore at Epcot in 1993 and getting to play with touchscreen computers... 26 years on most of us are probably viewing this on a touchscreen device, but it was unheard of at the time.

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Cringe: Flying to Fort Lauderdale with Airtours on the Orion Air Flying Pig via Bangor, TV's in the Aisle showing 1 film at a time on some form of VHS cassette.

Smile: 3 extra days holiday at Fort Lauderdale Hilton fully paid by Airtours and then a cheque for £50 per person when we got home due to the plane breaking down each time it flew

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Back in the day, a friend was in a group of naive Scottish girls in their twenties and they hadn't booked all their hotels in advance. They had to move on as their current hotel was full the next night and they told the receptionist "it's ok, we managed to get a room in a hotel on the Orange Blosson Trail". The receptionist gasped and phoned round all her friends at other hotels to get them something else. They had no idea and just thought it was just a kind act by the receptionist 🤣🤣
That's hilarious! And I can just imagine the look of shock on the hotel receptionist's face Parts of the OBT are fine, but others, um, well, let's just say you probably wouldn't go to London and stay in Soho...!
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bertiebear View Post
Cringe - going every year as a child and refulling at Bangor on the tristar.

Smile - no fast passes, no long queues, and the exchange rate!
Ah, another Bangor warrior. There were plenty of us, back in the day!

And a big *sigh* over your Smile. I definitely still remember the 2-for-1 exchange rate, and the absence of huge queues. Sadly, Orlando's visitation figures have more than doubled in the last 20 years, which definitely makes for MUCH busier parks, FastPass or no FastPass
Old 24 Oct 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Buzz n' Piglet View Post
First time visit as a 9 year old. We got free Hoover flights in 1993!

Smile - 2 adults, 2 kids and luggage for a fortnight and we got some wee green sports car thing

Cringe - my aunt who organised everything didnt get on the plane due a fear of flying. My parents had no clue where to go, other than a cross on a bit of a map for the villa and a phone number for villa management. Got lost, ended up in a McDonald's god knows where.

Smile - parents using a pay phone in McDs to call management company. Simpler times!

Cringe - going to closed office of villa management company late at night to get villa keys from a lock box. Villa was off the 192 somewhere.

Smile - still going as an adult now with my wife and daughter and love it just as much.
That's almost a lifetime of Orlando experiences! And how did we ever manage without mobile phones..?!