Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Feb 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

The house was on the market for £126k, but the estate agent said that they had suggested they lower price to £121k, but the family refused.
House was the vendors parents, but will was in place and all ready to go.
It may well be genuine, but just feels really fishy to us.
Just waiting for DH to come home from work and we’ll discuss.
Thanks for all opinions, really helpful
Old 10 Feb 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
The house was on the market for £126k, but the estate agent said that they had suggested they lower price to £121k, but the family refused.
House was the vendors parents, but will was in place and all ready to go.
It may well be genuine, but just feels really fishy to us.
Just waiting for DH to come home from work and we’ll discuss.
Thanks for all opinions, really helpful
I don't think you are a million miles away we had a super cheeky offer ... A seller usually doesn't expect full asking and are usually willing to budge Had you discussed how much your next offer would be. Are you first time buyers etc... A probate property can be an emotional sale and it isn't just about money.

Don't see it as a bidding war set your limit and what you wanted to pay regardless of anyone else and stick with it xx
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

We have decided to walk away at £118k as it needs significant work to it.
Thanks for all advice
Old 10 Feb 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
We have decided to walk away at £118k as it needs significant work to it.
Thanks for all advice
Well done for standing your ground. If it’s meant to be they will come back and if not something else will turn up
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Well done for standing your ground. If it’s meant to be they will come back and if not something else will turn up
I agree. Do you know it didn’t feel right. The agent told DH after our first offer of £114k that it was a no no but that if we offered £118k it would be accepted. I considered asking them to meet us in the middle but DH didn’t want to just get in a bidding war.
We had our £118k accepted, then rejected minutes later with this magical new offer.
Back to the drawing board for us
Old 10 Feb 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
I agree. Do you know it didn’t feel right. The agent told DH after our first offer of £114k that it was a no no but that if we offered £118k it would be accepted. I considered asking them to meet us in the middle but DH didn’t want to just get in a bidding war.
We had our £118k accepted, then rejected minutes later with this magical new offer.
Good for you! Once that happens you got over-invested and it’s hard to keep perspective
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Mobile

That's awful that they accepted and then rejected you... we were told not to accept any offer until the interest party took in their details and proof of income. The estate agents seem like they are in the wrong by saying it was accepted and then saying it wasn't. Like i said earlier probate is an emotional sale ... For me a preference would be someone wanting to make a home rather than money... I would wait and see. Xx
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Glad you stood your ground. Similar happened to my son last year. He put in an offer and the estate agent told him there was another offer on the table which we know was a lie as the sellers had told us so. He refused to go any higher and bought another house instead. The first one was still on the market months later.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
That's awful that they accepted and then rejected you... we were told not to accept any offer until the interest party took in their details and proof of income. The estate agents seem like they are in the wrong by saying it was accepted and then saying it wasn't. Like i said earlier probate is an emotional sale ... For me a preference would be someone wanting to make a home rather than money... I would wait and see. Xx
I agree, it does need a lot of work, but we wanted it to be our home, not sell it on.
We could have gone a smidgen higher, but we just didn’t trust that it wouldn’t happen again once we’d started spending money.
We’ll keep plodding on...
Old 10 Feb 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

It's a very difficult situation. We have been through something similar.
We ended up is a difficult bidding war and the house went way above what we wanted to pay (massively!). I would say well above true value. But the value is set my the market I guess and there were many people bidding. It was a bungalow (a complete wreck) but in a great area on a huge site. Very rare property.
But we wanted a home for the next 30 years. Cost us a fortune to renovate and extend.

But we are absolutely delighted and very happy that we did this.

Financially it has cost way more that we could probably sell it for. But that is of no interest for us as we will be here for ever.
We are 100% glad we went for is - heart saying "yes", head saying we are bonkers.

We dont regret one single thing about what we have done.

Sometimes you have just gotta go with your heart.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List