Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Feb 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post

moving house -- utilities

right, we are finally moving on Wednesday, we are cancelling all our household utilities at the mo

I went to cancel Brit Gas homecare and coudlnt, but she could close the account for our gas and electric

Now the question, the supply in the new place, i thought it would just continue and then would bill us, now after speaking to BG about closing accounts i am not sure if the supply in the new place will just continue ? ? ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

I don’t actually know the answer to your question, but I think that you inform the current supplier when you move in of meter readings, and the people moving out do the same, then it’s in your name.

We just bought a house this week (won’t complete for 8 weeks or so) but I’m wondering about the Virgin and Eon contracts we’re in.
Do we move it over with us, or do the new people have to take it on? Or so we have to pay until the end?
Old 17 Feb 20, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
We just bought a house this week (won’t complete for 8 weeks or so) but I’m wondering about the Virgin and Eon contracts we’re in.
Do we move it over with us, or do the new people have to take it on? Or so we have to pay until the end?
You take the contracts with you (assuming the service is available at your new home). The new people may have no option but to use your energy provider when they move in but will not be tied into a contract as far as I know.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Re the homecare, they’ll close your account at the old address and start a new one at your new address.
They have to come out to check if your boiler etc is serviceable first anyway before agreeing to cover you.

For energy, you’ll be with whoever the previous owners were with at first. You can start the process to change over once you’ve moved in though.

Don’t forget to take meter readings at your old house as you leave, and your new house when you arrive.

Edited at 08:05 PM.
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
Mobile

Take the meter readings when you move in. Your supplier in your new house will be whoever the other owners were with.

We swapped straight over for gas and electric to our supplier. We didn’t even contact the previous supplier and just received a bill which I paid via debit card. It was super easy ☺️
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post

thanks

might be a ideal time to look at some of the cheaper providers now

people seem to be raving about

octopus energy and bulb
Old 17 Feb 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
Mobile

I’ve been with both. I rate both for customer service although wasn’t impressed with Bulb’s customer service when we left. Octopus have since been great. I like that both use renewable energy!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Matt. Don’t forget a cash back site as well such as Quidco.
My Son got £150 when he moved into his new house, then swapped after 18 months and got a load more from another supplier.
Nothing like free money!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Matt. Don’t forget a cash back site as well such as Quidco.
My Son got £150 when he moved into his new house, then swapped after 18 months and got a load more from another supplier.
Nothing like free money!

I used to use topcashback many years ago, then stopped, it used to be a 10'er here and a 20 there, but it looks like its changed alot

thanks for ruining my night

4 days ago i signed upto Virgin media, missed out on £170 cashback

early tonight i signed up for home and buildings insurance, missed out on £126 cashback

almost 300 quid i missed out on
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

With gas/elec, it takes around 17 days to transfer the supply between suppliers so if your new home is with BG you can essentially continue without a break but if it’s with another supplier then you can apply to switch to a new supplier and it’ll take around 17 days. This is due to the energy industry and what is needed to transfer. So you’ll have a billing period from when you move in to your new home to the day you switch to whatever company you choose. Then you’ll be billed from your switch date for the new company.

As others have mentioned, take meter reads the day you move out from your old house so that you can get a final bill for your old property and then take new meter reads on the day you move into your new house so the energy company knows where to start your billing from.

Good luck with the move!
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List