Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Mar 10, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Tomtom USA maps.

Does anyone know whether second hand USA maps on an SD card will work O.K? I'm sure I've read something about needing an activation code and that the SD card will only work with the Tomtom that it was set up to work with. Is that right?

I don't want to buy second hand maps and then find they don't work when I get out there.

Thanks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 10, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought they were locked to the TomTom on which they were bought.

I know when we changed TomTom's when our's was faulty, we had a load of trouble from TomTom themselves trying to get the USA map for our new TomTom to work.
Old 4 Mar 10, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Each TomTom has a unique code number & when you buy a map it is assigned to that code and will not work in any other TomTom.

Russ
Old 4 Mar 10, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post

So, those second hand SD cards with USA maps that you see on that well known auction website, are useless then?
Old 4 Mar 10, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post

I don't think they are useless but there are many on that famous auction site that are just cracked and not original TomTom cards.
Old 4 Mar 10, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
northeast
Getting to know the DIBB

Hi

If the map has been downloaded onto a tomtom or computer(sd card) it has to be registered to a tomtom sat nav serial number. In simple terms if your sat nav serial is 000000 and the sat nav that the map is registere to is 000001 then the tomtom will not recognise.

It may be different on the older units but I know this is the case with more recent tomtom's.

I know tomtom had a offer on a few months ago for downloading the map. I got the most recent USA map for £29.95.

The SD that you can buy direct from tomtom will propably work in a number of tomtom units but depends if its compatible with the model and software version etc.

I wouldn't waste money buying from an auction site. In the long run you will save money by buying legit.

Hope this helps

Matt
northeast is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 10, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by northeast View Post
If the map has been downloaded onto a tomtom or computer(sd card) it has to be registered to a tomtom sat nav serial number. In simple terms if your sat nav serial is 000000 and the sat nav that the map is registere to is 000001 then the tomtom will not recognise.

It may be different on the older units but I know this is the case with more recent tomtom's.

I know tomtom had a offer on a few months ago for downloading the map. I got the most recent USA map for £29.95.

The SD that you can buy direct from tomtom will propably work in a number of tomtom units but depends if its compatible with the model and software version etc.

I wouldn't waste money buying from an auction site. In the long run you will save money by buying legit.

Hope this helps

Matt
Yes, that does help. Thank you.

I was looking at downloading the USA map from the tomtom website. The special offer isn't on any more, though, and it says that downloading a 1gb map can take over 3 hours and isn't recommended if you haven't got a super fast broadband connection.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 5 Mar 10, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
churchy
Apprentice Imagineer

download the south east usa map unless you intend driving coast to coast ---its cheaper and takes up less room on sd card
churchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 10, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by churchy View Post
download the south east usa map unless you intend driving coast to coast ---its cheaper and takes up less room on sd card
It used to be, when Tom Tom sold it.
Unfortunately they no longer offer this as an option.
Old 5 Mar 10, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

Sorry folks, this may be a silly question, but I've never had a satnav.

I've read here that Satnavs are a lot cheaper to buy over there from the likes of Walmart. Do they come with the local maps or do you have to buy these as extras?
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread

Tags
sat nav