Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Sep 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Jussytopps
VIP Dibber

Mobile Data AGAIN!

I have previously travelled to the states and used a PAYG 3 sim card, we found this to be really poor data coverage and slow. Only got 3 G at best. This was 2 years ago so I appreciate things might have changed.

I have searched and read loads about the data but still confused. I am with Tesco and pay monthly, husband is with O2 and pays monthly. When I have checked with them they are quoting £5.00 a day for very little data.

Ideally I want to be able to buy a sim that will allow me to get 4G data, I don't need to ring home as the villa has wifi. But I will need data for sat nav, social medial, whatsapp etc.

Is 3 really the best option.. I am loath to use them again due to last time and really poor customer service.

Any help will be gratefully received.
Jussytopps is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
iloveholidays1
Apprentice Imagineer

I was delighted to find that EE whom I'm with has a "roam Further" for £10 per month and I also purchased extra data, it worked perfectly. I had three sim three years ago and had numerous problems with it. Maybe worth looking into if your O2/Tesco don't offer this.
ASSports Oct/Nov 2014 ASSports August 2016 POFQ Aug/Sept 2019
Cabana Bay/Carribbean Beach Jan/Feb 23
iloveholidays1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Jussytopps
VIP Dibber

Thank you I will look in it, did you get 4G data ?
Jussytopps is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jussytopps View Post
I have previously travelled to the states and used a PAYG 3 sim card, we found this to be really poor data coverage and slow. Only got 3 G at best. This was 2 years ago so I appreciate things might have changed.

I have searched and read loads about the data but still confused. I am with Tesco and pay monthly, husband is with O2 and pays monthly. When I have checked with them they are quoting £5.00 a day for very little data.

Ideally I want to be able to buy a sim that will allow me to get 4G data, I don't need to ring home as the villa has wifi. But I will need data for sat nav, social medial, whatsapp etc.

Is 3 really the best option.. I am loath to use them again due to last time and really poor customer service.

Any help will be gratefully received.
I used my 3 pay monthly sim for our March trip and had 4G 90% of the time with great speeds surprisingly... however in the parks I was limited to 3G at best, no idea why!

I remember one day where 4G wasn't working whilst we were out and about shopping, however this didn't have any effect on using Google Maps (apple car play) or social media services including Whatsapp whilst on 3G.

Get a 30 day sim, you're not tied down after the 30 days. Simple
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jussytopps
VIP Dibber

Thank you, I have read about others getting 4G now in the states. I have read so may conflicting posts its giving me a headache lol.
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
w3dal
Imagineer

I’m using 4G now here in FL on 3. Been using it for years now and never had an issue with speed out and about
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Just back and I used a 3 SIM, paid £10 for 4GB + unlimited calls and texts and it the 4G worked fine 95% of the time.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

We used 3 payg in July/August this year and also had 4g most of the time. It dropped to 3G occasionally but still worked fine. All 4 of us had 3 payg sims as we are all with Tesco and their rates for roaming for even just for the 2 teens would cost us a fortune.
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

4g has been a bit hit n miss, but overall no real issues.
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Two years ago Three was dreadful last year got 4g most of the time and it was fine. Off again in a few weeks will let you know!
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List