Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Feb 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Esta dates?

Hi,

Is it ok to have a month left on return of holiday on an esta or does it need to be 6 months like a passport?
Old 2 Feb 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
First of all you don't need 6 months grace on a UK (or about 40 other nations) passport. Only needs to be valid for the length of stay

An ESTA is only approval to travel to the USA (not to enter it) and only needs to be valid on the outbound journey

Mick
Old 2 Feb 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Only has to be valid on the day you travel to the usa

Edited at 12:31 PM.
jonsgirl80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 20, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Just to add if you want official confirmation on the passport

cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...date122017.pdf

Mick
Old 2 Feb 20, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Maybe we need a very clear sticky post on how an esta works and passport validity so then we wouldn't get the same question daily.
Old 2 Feb 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Maybe we need a very clear sticky post on how an esta works and passport validity so then we wouldn't get the same question daily.
Oh I don't know about that. 6 months on passports posts last week generated some very robust, dare I say aggressive, replies despite me posting that US C&BP link.

Even the middle names on ESTAs is still going strong even though it first went viral on here in October 2018 yes 2018 How much more can be written on that I wonder?

So as much as I love contributing to the DIBB for nearly 16 years I'm not offering to write a sticky about ESTAs or passports.

Some Dibbers have even suggested that Donald may throw us out of the 6 month club post-Brexit.

Mick
Old 2 Feb 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Sorry for asking Thought that's what the boards were for not to make people feel bad for asking. Used to be so helpful on here without all the sarcasm
Old 2 Feb 20, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
First of all you don't need 6 months grace on a UK (or about 40 other nations) passport. Only needs to be valid for the length of stay

An ESTA is only approval to travel to the USA (not to enter it) and only needs to be valid on the outbound journey

Mick
Didn't realise that about the passports tbh always been asked by TA if we have 6 months on passport
Old 2 Feb 20, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by alisonjones View Post
Didn't realise that about the passports tbh always been asked by TA if we have 6 months on passport
I'm not going to link that thread as it really did get very nasty.

All I will say is that for most travel agents and the likes of Virgin and Tui holidays it's the easy and lazy way out to say that everyone needs 6 month's grace.

The fact is that Malaysia, for instance, does require it on a UK passport. Similarly those with a passport not from one of the 6 month nations will need grace to visit the USA.

I believe that our ex-EU colleagues might demand it now. How that affects indirect travel to Florida via the EU I'm not qualified to say.

Mick
Old 2 Feb 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Originally Posted by alisonjones View Post
Sorry for asking Thought that's what the boards were for not to make people feel bad for asking. Used to be so helpful on here without all the sarcasm
Exactly right. Ask any question you want. That is what we are here for!

No one should be made to feel bad about asking anything. Even if it is question that appears 5 times a week. It will be the first time you have asked or seen a reply.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List