Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 20 Feb 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ticking the Boxes Aug 19 Day 7

Today was a major tick day! We had spent ages trying to get t-shirts for the day. I know there are dibbers who found designing their own t-shirts and getting them printed easy, we did not! This was to be our joint hen/stag do day! We were up and ready and out heading to epcot. The buses are stopping a fair way from the entrance, so it took us a while. We got through security and were able to go in early as we had a breakfast reservation. It was only a few minutes early, but meant we had a practically empty PP to start the day!

We wanted a record of the day, and the state of disrepair does show as the day goes on!
We headed across to Garden Grill and realised we had a little spare time, so did a quick living with the land. We thought we would be the only ones in our boat, but we were joined by a cute child and his dad. They gave us a great running commentary and had me chuckling all the way round!

Food time, so we checked in. I had had several breakfasts here, so it was going to be interesting to see how it differs when on the inside of the track.

We put our drinks order in quickly and waited for the characters to appear. Mickey was first, we told him we were getting married, and he went to town! He found a server and took BB’s phone and gave it to her. Then positioned BB to get on one knee, Mickey was lined up in front pointing back at us. The server took photos … brilliant!

Those Disney touches, and their ability to play even with us adults! Chip and Dale came round, as did Pluto.

They were fun, but were more ‘traditional’ and less characterful. The breakfast at Garden Grill is plentiful and nice, but it’s the characters who made the breakfast.

We knew we had to eat plenty, we didn’t know how the rest of the day would pan out!

After some time watching the fountains,

we made our way across to Mexico to get started!

I think we were both feeling a little ‘anticipatory’ at this stage. Neither of us are big drinkers, but we wanted to give drinking the world a go. We had decided we would share all the drinks, except France. We hoped we could agree what all the drinks, if not then we would alternate. We knew it would mostly be cocktails as we were going to try and be adventurous! We had also given ourselves all day, so we could pace ourselves! I’ll include the names of the drinks here, so you can use your search engine to find out what is in each one! So we started with a ‘La Choza’ Clasica …

we voted it 5 out of 10. We realised it was strong and that we hoped we could make it round! We went from there into the Mayan pyramid and did the Grand Fiesta. I recently saw it described as Mexican small world, and thought that was about right! I like it. And yes, we promised ourselves, we would eat at the restraint there if / when we go back!
We had a FP for Maelstrom (cough) Frozen ever after, next. We should have done the drink part first, but we saw the queue for drinks and decided to see how long it was after the ride.

Well, the ride was once done, prob not to be repeated! But there are a bank of those that are good to revisit from time to time! We had a quick wander round Norway after, and had trouble finding the honey drink, so ended up with Lager. I am NOT a fan,

so BB had to drink most of that one! We really enjoyed stopping and sitting, watching and people watching.
We moved onto China where we ordered a canta loopy from the Joy of tea.

This one was nice, but had a background taste that was unusual.

I would like to drink one again to try and work out what it was. We went in to explore China pavilion, and found the ‘entrance’ room, with lots of benches in it. I honestly thought that that was what the ‘thing’ was! Ooops! I remember thinking that it was nice of them to provide a place to sit and contemplate within the busy-ness of epcot. Yes, I am that much of a muppet! Then the doors opened and we were funnelled into the Reflections of China. Oh my. My son was in China at the time, on a world challenge, so I might have had a moment! As part of his trip, he had no contact with us, or us with him. I think that that was toughest on me! He was having the trip of a lifetime! Seeing the sights of China whilst he was there was very moving. It was a pretty good show, but I think it will stick in my mind forever.

Onwards around the showcase … Germany next. We met a PP person who took pics that I had absolutely weird pics. I had no idea what he was doing! But it’s OK! Can you guess from the first pic what it was?

We wandered into the Christmas shop.

I expected to buy a bauble in there, but they were huge and $$$. We had done some prep and already knew that Germany would probably be wine.

It was. We thought about getting food as well, but in the end didn’t bother.

We also knew what we might well end up with in Italy. It was the teeniest shop so BB went out to get a seat while I queued. We were sharing a Limoncello! Almost my best single drink! BB had seen another couple standing and started chatting. They were also Brits and were also drinking the world. They were doing it properly though. We were only half doing it. It was fun chatting, one had been a cruise CM and the other worked a regular job.

They didn’t see each other loads, but clearly loved Disney! We saw them further round and said hello … they had clearly had more to drink than we had! We bid them farewell and went into USA.

American Adventure was closed, in fact most of the pavilion was closed. So we had a Galaxy juice and watched the wildlife that was hiding amongst the shrubbery!

It was a really nice drink, very refreshing and much better than some of the options that id previously found online. We bought a few ‘couples’ pins in the pin place just the other side of the American area. I gave BB one on our wedding day to wear. Yup, I can be soppy!

Now up to this point, we had been having ‘discussions’ about the point of carrying ponchos with us. They are teensie light and a plastic bag for humans. Well, I think my point just got proven. We were in Japan, and had a conversation with the stall holder about how to drink Sake when the clouds opened. So we had ordered a violet sake and had been told to go through into the pavilion to buy something else to make the sake even better.

Well, we didn’t go that far, we crossed the courtyard to sit on a window sill while the storm passed.

Of course we sipped slowly! Neither of us had had sake before and I don’t think it was the ideal way to drink it. We were pre occupied with the rain, which really was a sight to be seen! We spent a while wondering what to do, then gradually people decided to make a run for it. We got ponchos on and moved onto Morocco. There is a bit of video of me walking through the totally flooded pathway. The water was so warm!

We went into Tangierine Café, there was not a lot of food out, but then it was 4.30 in the afternoon, so that may be why, and ordered a kefta wrap each. We found a table that was mostly covered by a fabric umbrella which meant that our food stayed dry. The ponchos stayed on!

I remember thinking this was really good food, so it must have hit the spot. We took a few minutes under the semi shelter to consider our options. We both knew that Florida storms can finish as fast as they start, but this one felt that it had ‘set in’. We really didn’t have a choice; we were going to finish!

So with that we went to the Spice road. It was weird, the covered bar to the left of the bar seemed to be closing/closed. The restaurant was serving and was heaving (due to the rain). We ordered a Tangiers breeze and sat right next to the lagoon. This was a lovely surprise.

I really enjoyed this one! We made it last as long as we could, and as the bar was filling up, we felt we needed to move.

France was seeing BB beginning to need a break, so the promised 2 slooshies became one.

I tried the orange version with Grand Marnier.

It was great, but not a patch on the grey goose lemon version. It was at this point that the skies cleared and the ponchos came off. Phew, they do get sweaty after a while. BB felt better after watching the gondolas for a while.

It was a shame that they were still testing while we were there, he really wanted to ride it. I’m still not in the convinced camp, but I’ll give it a go, if we go back.

We kind of broke the traditional rules now, we knew what we wanted to finish on and it was not Canadian. So we went through the UK and went to Canada, ordered a Rose

and sat and listened to the band while we shared the wine. It was ok, but very similar to other Roses. Canada needs to up its game in the cocktail stakes, I feel.

We went back to buy our final drink. A green dragon from the UK, as good as I had remembered, BB agreed it is good!

We had completed our challenge in 8 hours and were mostly in one piece!

We decided to be grown-ups and have some food. We were stood outside the fish and chip shop and so did the obvious thing. It was really bad! I just didn’t get on with it on any level. I think I should have known that it’s all ‘Americanised’ but it is not something I’d like to repeat!
We were planning to see illuminations and so went to find a good place to queue.

We wanted to be close to the exit routes so we stood a chance to get an early bus. It’s so pretty seeing the sun setting. Blooming typical, that was when the combo of tired, alcohol, greasy food, but I felt awful. I wasn’t sure I would be ok while the fireworks were on, so we moved of our perfect spot to watch.

I know others have said how sad they are that illuminations are going. BB and I both have memories of it from before we knew each other, but for me, knowing it was going made it less good. Still spectacular but not as good as HEA for me. We gradually walked backwards into tomorrowland and watched.
I have no idea how we stayed awake on the way home … 12 hours in Epcot was fun, memorable and a high step count day, several ticks on the tick list down!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Loved reading those memories back
Old 20 Feb 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Loved reading those memories back
Memories made by you too!

Do you remember all of this day?
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
That was a long but good day with your challenge completed well done

Joan