Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Feb 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yep me. I’ve had a lot of cbt and most of it is centered around this. The belief I’ll be found out as not good enough or that everyone is better than me, despite being hugely career wise successful and getting nothing but good feedback. It’s exhausting but cbt has really helped me make it manageable
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

How strange you have posted this as I read only yesterday about it and thought wow! that's me!

I have always felt like I will be "caught out" and not worthy, even at school when I did well in a test, I would question myself if I had somehow cheated. I also have very low self-worth (many sessions of counselling ).

I haven't read far enough yet, can this be overcome?
Old 20 Feb 20, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m a mature student and this was discussed frequently on my BA degree and several of the other students of a non traditional student age claimed to have this. On my MA degree I’m doing now, not so much as everyone has a different background and experience.
Old 20 Feb 20, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes I think I most probably suffer from this! People are always paying me compliments at work. Some people say this place would never cope without you or you do realise you’re the oracle in this place don’t you? I just don’t see it at all. I think I’m thick, dopey and just kind of the lights are on but there’s nobody at home! I’ve had CBT to try and change my way of thinking it didn’t work. I’ve been like this since I was a kid so not sure I’ll ever change now.
Old 20 Feb 20, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Yes! I am not academic and only have 4 GCSE but I got a NVQ and fell into a job I love and am now a Board Member of a subsidiary of a FTSE 50 company. I did a degree a few years ago but still don’t feel good enough with all the bright people I work with. I also worry i am where i am as I’m a young (ish) woman and more woman in senior roles is very fashionable right now. My (Male) boss went mad when I said this and said I was there on merit and should never think otherwise. My female Finance Director said take while I can, men have had it good for years 🤣

I also have working class guilt apparently. I spent a lot of time apologising to my PA for asking her to do thing for me. I do the same with my cleaner if I’m home when she’s here. They think I’m mad!
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

I have never heard of this but this is totally me. I have suffered with trichotillamania for nearly 15 years and when I was having CBT she was adamant that I was a self sabotaging because I couldn’t accept that I was good enough and needed something to prove it. Sad that so many of us seem to feel this way.
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
baggers
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by muffinmclean View Post
I think I have always felt it, since I started working at 16 in a male dominated Chemical industry (I'm female), but I was just one of the guys doing the same job wearing overalls and boots (albeit I always lacked confidence and thought I was rubbish at it. I wasn't great tbh) . But in the last couple of years my role has changed where I'm a little similar to you, and in meetings with 'suits' and dealing with people more. I just feel every day I'm winging it and waiting for everyone to realise I've barely a clue what's going on. I'm not anxious or stressed particularly, I just feel a bit cringe if someone says something good, I automatically think they are just ripping the mince or their belief is so misplaced. Or that some of my colleagues think ' what does she actually do or bring to the team', as my job isn't important and I don't really bring much.
I wish I could be one of these people who believes in themselves so much even if they aren't very good. It was just when I read what imposter syndrome was I thought, that is exactly how I feel!
Just remember you got the job because you deserve it. Other people believe in you. You just need to work on your own confidence and understand what your role is in the group. I was told yesterday to ask others how they see me and what feedback they have for me as someone stepping up (just got to pluck up courage to do it now).
baggers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

I’m a qualified business coach which involved studying transactional analysis and psychodynamic theories.

This is quite a good article for anyone interested zapier/blog/what-is-imposter-syndrome/

I’m fascinated by TA; driver behaviours, life scripts, life positions and game playing, it’s amazing what you start to notice when you’re studying

Oh, and it’s all our parents’ fault - google This Be The Verse by Philip Larkin
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Yes I’ve read quite a few articles on this and it seems to be mostly women who suffer from it to the degree it could be a recognised syndrome. My thoughts and self doubt have definitely got a lot worse as I started with peri menopause symptoms a few years ago and weren’t made any better by a bullying manager in my last job (which I left) who basically told me constantly I wasn’t doing what she expected. That manager was a woman (and hated by all who knew her) and I’ve since read of and heard a lot about women managers bullying other women, which I find quite fascinating really. I should have been a psychologist I think as I love trying to figure out why people do what they do.

Anyway, I’m now in a great job, great company and great manager...female lol...but still feel bad imposter syndrome thoughts every day.
Old 21 Feb 20, 02:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by baggers View Post
I was told yesterday to ask others how they see me and what feedback they have for me as someone stepping up (just got to pluck up courage to do it now).
That's a really bad idea.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List