Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 30 Dec 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
TIMCSS
Excited about Disney

Mobile Disney Child Swap

Hi everyone.

We are visiting in 2021 and have our little girl with us.

We have never used child swap before. But how does it work? Does both myself and my need fasspasses and just go through them or does one need a fastpass and get given something on the exit for the other parent.

Thank you
TIMCSS is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Snoobs
Excited about Disney

Mobile

You both need fast passes if you are going through the fast pass queue, although you wouldn't need child swap then.
Or you can queue normally and ask the cm for a child swap ticket on entrance to the ride and they'll give you a go style ticket for your partner to come in on afterwards.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works anyway
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ukitr
Proud to wear my Ears

When we went in August only the first party needed FP. Read somewhere that’s not the case now?
ukitr is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Yes when we went last year my husband and son got fast passes, I was then allowed into the fast pass queue with my rider swap ticket they never checked if I had a fast pass of my own. I understand it has changed since then though and everyone riding needs fast passes
jonsgirl80 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
thingy003
Excited about Disney

My youngest was an absolute nightmare whenever we hit Epcot last year and I would happily have swapped her for something else like a beer or an extra fastpass ...

...oh wait, this thread is not what I thought it was!

Old 29 Jan 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
maxi0479
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by thingy003 View Post
My youngest was an absolute nightmare whenever we hit Epcot last year and I would happily have swapped her for something else like a beer or an extra fastpass ...

Haha this just made me laugh

2015 Coronado Spring & HRH, 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & Villa, 2020 Cancelled due to COVID, 2021 Villa & Universal Loews Royal Pacific
maxi0479 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Here's the info on Disney website regarding their Rider Switch system:

disneyworld.disney.go/en.../rider-switch/

Unfortunately the above doesn't address what happens when you mix fastpasses and Rider Switch. Disney Mom's Panel does address this but it does so inconsistently:

disneyparksmomspanel.disney... -go-fp-373883/

disneyparksmomspanel.disney... -first-391924/

"If the members of the first group to ride have a FastPass+ for that particular attraction, they may enter the FastPass+ line... Therefore, the members of the second group to ride do not need a FastPass+ to bypass the Standby line; the Rider Switch entitlement will gain them entrance to the FastPass+ line".

"...keep in mind that for attractions you want to use Rider Switch for, only the first adult who goes through the queue needs to have a FastPass+ assigned to them if they want to use one. The second rider will be given a Rider Switch entitlement and they can enter the attraction through the FastPass+ line that way!"

Whereas elsewhere it implies something different:

disneyparksmomspanel.disney... t-pass-395406/

disneyparksmomspanel.disney... t-need-394206/

"I recommend that you make a FastPass+ reservation for all Guests who will be riding. Cast Members may check the entire group's FastPass+ reservations, not just the first Guest riding"

"If, however, you would like to use FastPass+ for any attraction all members of the party wanting to ride are required to have a FastPass+ for that attraction."

It's inconsistent although it does seem that the more recent responses state that everyone needs a fastpass, not just the first group.

Originally Posted by jonsgirl80 View Post
Yes when we went last year my husband and son got fast passes, I was then allowed into the fast pass queue with my rider swap ticket they never checked if I had a fast pass of my own. I understand it has changed since then though and everyone riding needs fast passes
I'm not sure whether it's changed or whether it's just that the rules are being inconsistently applied by the CMs. I've seen some say that both parents require fastpasses if the first rider wants to use the fastpass queue whereas others say that only the first rider requires a fastpass if the first rider wants to use the fastpass queue.

For groups consisting only of 2 parents and 1 child, if both parents have fastpasses for the ride then there is no point in getting the Rider Switch pass. All the Rider Switch pass does in this case is allow the second rider to enter using the fastpass queue; if that second rider already has a fastpass then there's no need for a Rider Switch pass. There can however be a benefit for larger groups.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:33 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
supermumof3
Serious Dibber

This made me laugh out loud! I think we've all felt like that at some point
Old 29 Jan 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by supermumof3 View Post
This made me laugh out loud! I think we've all felt like that at some point
Just don’t say it to the kids. They don’t like it for some reason.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post

I'm not sure whether it's changed or whether it's just that the rules are being inconsistently applies by the CMs. I've seen some say that both parents require fastpasses if the first rider wants to use the fastpass queue whereas others say that only the first rider requires a fastpass if the first rider wants to use the fastpass queue.

For groups consisting only of 2 parents and 1 child, if both parents have fastpasses for the ride then there is no point in getting the Rider Switch pass. All the Rider Switch pass does in this case is allow the second rider to enter using the fastpass queue; if that second rider already has a fastpass then there's no need for a Rider Switch pass. There can however be a benefit for larger groups.
I know that we went last time we checked and were told several times from various sources that it was only the first person who needed the fast pass. This created a loophole meaning in effect that groups doing rider switch could then actually get double the amount of fast passes just by booking different things and swapping over who went first. I never had my band checked at all when I used the rider switch so this would seem to confirm that.

The rider switch ticket also allows up to 4 people to ride and there was never an issue with them allowing my older son to enter the fast pass line to ride for a second time with me even though he'd already used his fast pass riding with his dad.

Shortly after we came back I heard that they had closed that loophole and started checking both parents had fast pass before allowing anyone to use rider switch with the fast pass line but you are right in that it would make it pointless using rider switch in those situations.
jonsgirl80 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List