Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Aug 16, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

whats "true to the Disney way"? what is "everything Disney stands for"?

Edited at 08:41 PM.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 16, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
As i said, any disney theme park will try to recreate the disney way
It's a European take on the Disney theme park. They tried to recreate American Disney when they opened here and it went down like a lead balloon.

To be honest I really don't follow your logic. They weren't attempting to recreate Disney World at all, DLP is more like Disneyland in California but even then there are an incredible amount of differences.
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 16, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
I disagree, a disney park where ever it is in the world should still hold true to the disney way
What is this 'Disney Way'?

Disneyland Shanghai has been trailed as Disney but definitely Chinese...because, er, that's where it is.

I don't think the folks at Tokyo Disney would appreciate a pre-show of the backlot tour feature Attack on Pearl Harbor. You have to be culturally sensitive.

If you want WDW, go to WDW

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 16, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

To be fair Matt, I think I now understand what you mean, but didn't at first. It is Disney and a Disney theme park so yes, there are going to be 'Disney ways' as you call them, but every park is different in that, like others have said, they are culturally and socially built and maintained to fit in with the local culture etc.

Many mainland Europeans simply wouldn't like American ways in a European park. Yes, it's Disney first and foremost, but it's done in a way as to be sensitive to locals/dominant markets.

There are elements of WDW that I'd love to see at DLRP and there are many elements I simply do not want to see there. I just don't think they are a good fit. DLRP is a unique park in the Disney complement and I like it for that reason.
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 16, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post

DLP, its like visiting any town centre in the UK, seeing someone dressed as Mickey and you know who he's meant to be but it just doesn't work.
Absolutely no magic in the air whatsoever. Lacks any sort of ambience. Appears to be no organisation at the rides. Staff albeit we have to excuse the culture just don't cut it.
I would say its best for the younger ones up to 10 years.
I did DLP before WDW, and went back for the first time in over 20 years this week, I wished I hadn't, it spoilt the good memories i had of the place.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 16, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchfan626
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wooly View Post
DLP, its like visiting any town centre in the UK, seeing someone dressed as Mickey and you know who he's meant to be but it just doesn't work.
Absolutely no magic in the air whatsoever. Lacks any sort of ambience. Appears to be no organisation at the rides. Staff albeit we have to excuse the culture just don't cut it.
I did DLP before WDW, and went back for the first time in over 20 years this week, I wished I hadn't, it spoilt the good memories i had of the place.

Did you go to the same DLP that I go to?

I'm sorry if you had a bad trip but every time I've been its been absolutely magical, very organised and full of ambience.
1995 WDW (offsite) , 1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club), 2001, 2002, 2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2004 WDW (offsite), 2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2007 WDW (Grand Floridian), 2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York), 2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), 2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York), May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club), December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest Room), April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge), June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne), August 2019 DLP (Vienna Dream Castle), December 2019 DLP (Magic Circus)
Stitchfan626 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 16, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitchfan626 View Post
Did you go to the same DLP that I go to?

I'm sorry if you had a bad trip but every time I've been its been absolutely magical, very organised and full of ambience.
Agreed!

I've been to DLRP many times and while I have come across the odd teething problem, I really love the place. It is so magical for us. I was lucky enough to go to WDW for 3 weeks last summer. We all had a great time, but honestly, I won't be rushing back. Give me DLRP any day!

I do think this year has been a bad year to go if it's a one off, or you haven't been for a long time due to the all the ongoing work and refurbs. One of the reasons we've stayed away and booked to go next May instead!

Just goes to show though... we are all different. Good job, or they wouldn't build so many different Disney resorts!
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 16, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Last time we met Mickey at DLP he went down on one knee and presented me with a beautiful necklace - a gift from my husband as a 20th anniversary present. Magic right there!

European service is not like US service. They assume people don't want to be interacted with unless they ask - it's seen as rude and pushy. But we have had many great conversations with CMs. A smile and a 'bonjour' makes all the difference.

Meeting Woody, he spotted Peter's birthday badge and raised his arms in a 'conducting' gesture and the whole queue sang happy birthday!

Yes, lots is shut this year in preparation for the 25th anniversary next year. However, lots of new stuff to enjoy too. New shows at the Chaparral and Animagique theatres, new puppet show at the Lucky Nugget ...
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 16, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
whats "true to the Disney way"? what is "everything Disney stands for"?
Originally Posted by dav220588 View Post
It's a European take on the Disney theme park. They tried to recreate American Disney when they opened here and it went down like a lead balloon.

To be honest I really don't follow your logic. They weren't attempting to recreate Disney World at all, DLP is more like Disneyland in California but even then there are an incredible amount of differences.
Originally Posted by blusteryday View Post
What is this 'Disney Way'?

Disneyland Shanghai has been trailed as Disney but definitely Chinese...because, er, that's where it is.

I don't think the folks at Tokyo Disney would appreciate a pre-show of the backlot tour feature Attack on Pearl Harbor. You have to be culturally sensitive.

If you want WDW, go to WDW
The worry here is people need to ask what the " disney way " is

Of course the Toyko pre-show of the backlot tour would not feature the Attack on Pearl Harbour, thats just ludicrous to say that

But anyway lets look at some of Walts quotes on disneyland ( which we can read WDW aswell )

“Disneyland is like Alice stepping through the Looking Glass; to step through portals of Disneyland will be like entering another world.” – Walt Disney

“Physically, Disneyland would be a small world in itself- it would encompass the essence of the things that were good and true in American life. It would reflect the faith and challenge of the future, the entertainment, the interest in intelligently presented facts, the stimulation of imagination, the standards of health and achievement, and above all, a sense of strength, contentment, and well-being.

To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past… and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America… with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.

The idea of Disneyland is a simple one. It will be a place for people to find happiness and knowledge. It will be a place for parents and children to share pleasant times in one another’s company; a place for teachers and pupils to discover greater ways of understanding and education. Here the older generation can recapture the nostalgia of days gone by, and the younger generation can savor the challenge of the future.

Disneyland is a show.

Disneyland is not just another amusement park. It’s unique, and I want it kept that way. Besides, you don’t work for a dollar- you work to create and have fun

Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning, together with every variety of recreation and fun designed to appeal to everyone.

can you really say that about DLP ? ? ? no of course you can't, in parts it might flatter and head towards " the disney way " but then you catch sight of a miserable CM or you attempt to purchase a toffee apple for your 7 yr old daughter of a food cart while the person behind the counter ignores you and carry's on talking to his friend ( who is stood next to you ) while your wife is still asking for a toffee apple in french ( she speaks french ) or the way the server throws your plates down at rain forest cafe without saying a word ***

now you can blame that on Cultural difference and say " oh Europeans wouldnt like this of that " which does beg the question what do Europeans travel to WDW ? ? ? afterall they must hate it, right ? ? ?

i fully understand this is the DLP section, thus that means the majority of the " regulars " will love DLP and will not hear a bad word against it, i await the flames

*** the only good service we had, apart from the staff at DLH was when i attempted to buy some espresso cups for my wife, i sneaked off to get some for a Christmas gift, they had all gone from the place we saw them, i asked a CM ( who spoke very little english to go with my very little french ) but we got to a place we knew what they were, she went and found some in the store room, i thanked her in my broken french and she smiled, she really did remind me of the " disney service " i love
the 2nd good service was when my 7 yr old purchased a " wild west rifle " the CM joked about with her and they had a great time, he said the tills were empty and he had nothing for her to " hold up ", i joked a empty till in disney, that doesnt happen, he laughed

I think the above interaction which we thought was few and far between really shows the difference in the parks
Old 9 Aug 16, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post

This made ma laugh and does sum up DLP for us, its not a bad holiday, we had fun, people say " its ok for a inbetween WDW holiday " maybe they are right

indeed

My youngest was 7 and certainly knew the difference and said a few times " why was he / she so grumpy " little did i know it was the " cultural difference " and the European culture is to look miserable all the time
Closed Thread