Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 May 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Limprib81 View Post
April 2019? Sorry when was the update... thanks
Hi Limprib, apparently nobody definitively knows when initial updated text was placed in the more info ?, some say May 2018, some say Oct 2018, DHS/CBP are saying nowt, *shrugs*. A clarification pp diagram recently added to ESTA application is confusing some, one asked if chevrons to be included with the names.
Old 30 May 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I saw this thread a few days back, didn't really worry about it as I don't have an esta at minute and no florida plans in near future... then went into a blind panic as eldest and her boyfriend are off on their big US blowout holiday soon... She has a middle name her boyfriend doesn't and did their estas a while back when booked everything... Quick check earlier today her esta has her middle name on 👍👍

Edited at 06:53 PM.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Limprib81
Dancing with Tink'

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Limprib, apparently nobody definitively knows when initial updated text was placed in the more info ?, some say May 2018, some say Oct 2018, DHS/CBP are saying nowt, *shrugs*. A clarification pp diagram recently added to ESTA application is confusing some, one asked if chevrons to be included with the names.
Ok, thanks for your help it is appreciated

Really in two minds what to do
Limprib81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

As you had ESTA approved prior to the update you'll be fine
but when was this "update"? There has been mention on here of October 2018. Then there are others saying it was as far back as last May - form other discussion groups.

So this thing is so stupid, we dont even know if we have valid estas or not. Gross incompetence.

Edited at 12:57 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Clearly they are still approving "incorrect" ESTA applications. Nobody has yet reported any difficulty using an ESTA that is "incorrect".

Here's a theory, only first and surname are necessary. (or the equivalents from other parts of the world, because we are certainly working to the presumed western way of doing things). I'm guessing that, the middle names bit just helps the commonly named to split themselves into individuals instead of groups.
Old 31 May 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Clearly they are still approving "incorrect" ESTA applications. Nobody has yet reported any difficulty using an ESTA that is "incorrect".

Here's a theory, only first and surname are necessary. (or the equivalents from other parts of the world, because we are certainly working to the presumed western way of doing things). I'm guessing that, the middle names bit just helps the commonly named to split themselves into individuals instead of groups.
I think you have hit the nail on the head!
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
but when was this "update"? There has been mention on here of October 2018. Then there are others saying it was as far back as last May - form other discussion groups.

So this thing is so stupid, we dont even know if we have valid estas or not. Gross incompetence.
​​Many read May or Oct 2018 for update, but no definitive answer. A Dibber asked CBP re enforcement, no answer given, perhaps staff answering emails are in the dark too.

Ironically, if ESTA were still a free service there'd perhaps be a minor concern, but most would simply shrug, update abide and renew ESTA. Does this then beg the question; for some, is their ire aimed at the need for a further $14pp if one re-applies?
Old 31 May 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

​​Many read May or Oct 2018 for update, but no definitive answer. A Dibber asked CBP re enforcement, no answer given, perhaps staff answering emails are in the dark too.

Ironically, if ESTA were still a free service there'd perhaps be a minor concern, but most would simply shrug, update abide and renew ESTA. Does this then beg the question; for some, is their ire aimed at the need for a further $14pp if one re-applies?
For me, the $14 is nothing. It is concern relating to errors on reapplying or potential refusal etc.
To me the risk of re-applying is way higher than not as I don't think there will be any issues.
Old 31 May 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

For me, the $14 is nothing. It is concern relating to errors on reapplying or potential refusal etc.
To me the risk of re-applying is way higher than not as I don't think there will be any issues.
I knew the $14 fee is irrelevant to you tspill due to your views on when to ESTA apply. The potential for refusal or errors always exists, hence why one must read the entire application and complete with care. Be it today, tomorrow or next year, unless CBP rescind (who knows with the US!), the update will still need to be navigated.

I'd like to concur re no issues, previously I would've done, my opinion changed 6 years ago, as it's the US making the rules, even as a profiled B2 holder, I never assume all's well even after being US side of the IO's desk, don't want another immigration bite on my bum
Old 31 May 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

one of the risks I see is the ESTA no longer be identical to the plane ticket.
CBP says that one name may lead to delays, but getting a new ESTA with full names, when the plane ticket still bears one name, may also lead to delays, at the airport this time (even not being able to do OLCI) instead of the immigration (where the same may still happen)

So, from where I stand, I'll keep my ESTA as is, to keep it consistent with the name on my plane ticket.
For next trip, I'll include all names on the ticket, and get a new ESTA (current ESTA will be expired by then anyway)
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List