Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 8 May 20, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

O Can-aska - Day 13 - Vancouver Island

O Can-aska - Day 13

Index

Wednesday 11th September 2019 - Leaving Victoria, Kinsol Trestle, Seal Bay Nature Park, drive to Telegraph Cove

Today would be spent travelling up Vancouver Island to Telegraph Cove – the spot for our bear tour tomorrow. It wouldn't be a wasted day though, we planned a couple of spots en route.

First, we made use of the included breakfast at our bnb.

Ollie went for my selection from yesterday, pancakes - Go on, spoil yourself you deserve it! Pancakes with seasonal fresh fruit, whipped cream and real Canadian Maple syrup.

I went for the Montreal Style Bagel - A west-coast favourite’s guaranteed to put a smile on your face! Bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon, garnished with spices and capers. Fresh fruit on the side.

I might have taken a bite before I remembered the photo. I was disappointed to find that the bagel wasn’t toasted. Is it a bit weird to not toast a bagel? Still, a nice change from my usual sweet choice for breakfast.

It was then time to check out of our room, load up the car and hit the road.

On the road, we noticed that viewpoints were well signposted, so we made an effort to stop wherever we could. Here, for example -

Our first planned stop of the day was Kinsol Trestle, about an hour away from our b and b in Victoria. Kinsol Trestle is a wooden railway trestle, completed in 1920. It was abandoned in the 1980s, but restored and reopened to the public in 2011.

We parked up about 10.10am – parking was free here, which we found in all of our stops on Vancouver Island.

This was a really impressive structure and I enjoyed reading about the building and restoration. We spent an enjoyable hour here. It was fairly quiet when we arrived and I snapped away to my heart’s content.

Back on the road – our next stop was Duncan, for lunch and to pick up some supplies.

For lunch, we picked out Lee’s Famous Recipe Chicken. We must have been hungry today – picking out a sharing special with far too many pieces of chicken for two of us ($30.44 inc tax). It came with a pot of gravy and we chose potato wedges as our side. The potato wedges were amazing – they had been fried in the same coating as the chicken, so were like southern fried wedges. Ranch dressing was free on the side.

We had an address for a Walmart written down, but the sat nav seemed to be sending us in circle. Instead, we drove passed a Save-on-foods and decided to stop here.

We picked up some chocolate croissants (ie pain au chocolat) for $4.39 for breakfast tomorrow. We also picked up some Nanaimo bars, which we hadn’t tried yet, but felt like we should ($3.99). It was also about time we picked up some treats to bring back for our respective workplaces. I picked up some carrot cake oreos ($2.29) and maple leaf cream cookies ($2.39). Ollie picked up some turtle chocolates – chocolate, pecans and caramels – for $5.99. The cashier was nice and gave us the discount card price, even though we said we didn’t have one. Standard friendly Canadian!

We were back on the road around 1.15pm and quickly tucked into the nanaimo bars. I wasn’t too keen – they had quite a strong coconut taste and a coconut texture (I only really like coconut in liquid form – curries or cocktails!)

Seemed appropriate when we were driving through Nanaimo!

Our next stop was Seal Bay Nature Park, about 2 hours and 20 minutes up from Duncan. It was at this point is started raining, and didn’t really stop for the rest of the trip. We’d been really lucky with the weather so far, so we were probably due some rubbish weather.

We were at Seal Bay Nature Park just over an hour, managing to walk a few of the trails and along the beach. We didn’t see any seals, despite the name.

My attempt at an arty shot –

Unhappy log –

The next stop was in Campbell River for fuel – it cost us $24.50 to fill the tank back to full.

Google told us that the drive up to Telegraph Cove would take about 2 hours 20 minutes – which just happens to be the length of the Hamilton soundtrack. In fact, we did the journey around 15 minutes quicker, so Hamilton was still alive when we pulled into Telegraph Cove.

My attempt to photograph a deer –

We arrived around 7.40pm – we knew the office would already be closed, but a key was left for us at the office. Each of the lodgings at Telegraph Cove were unique, and we were staying the Bunk House.

The area was spacious and even had a little kitchenette –

Dinner tonight was in the Old Saltery Pub – we emailed in advance of the trip to book a table, as this was the only evening option available at Telegraph Cove.

There is no menu online for me to find our exact order, but I went for a white wine and Ollie had a cider.

For mains, Ollie had fish and chips – this was made with halibut and he says this is the best fish and chips he has ever had.

I went for coconut prawns with a katsu curry style sauce, served with mash potato, garlic bread and broccoli. This meal was delicious – even Ollie, who isn’t a big prawn fan, was really envious of my dish.

Overall, this was a really excellent meal ($71.78 inc tax and tip).

We were done around 9pm, and spent some time in the room getting sorted for tomorrow. Our plan was to leave out all our clothes for tomorrow, but move the big cases to the car tonight. Tomorrow was a really early start and we didn’t want to be making noise lots of noise in the morning.

Ollie was kindly putting the cases back in the car (in the rain), but whilst he was gone I realised something I had forgotten. He went back to the car, got the cases from the boot, and brought it back to me.

Typically, I then realised I had forgotten something else – cue Ollie going back to car again to pick up something for me! I’m not sure how he stayed so patient with me that night!

It was then off to bed, setting our alarms for very early tomorrow morning.

Day 14 - Grizzly Bear Expedition

Edited at 07:49 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Have been waiting for a new day to appear! That was a long drive! The Tressle looks wonderful and DH will love it - so that's on the list for a stop on our journey down to Victoria Shame the weather got bad for you.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Thanks for another great day - starting with that breakfast- what a quality start to the day.
I love the driving in Canada, you drive for miles with scenery as your cinematic backdrop then come across places that take your breath away, the engineering involved in that trestle must have been a sight to behold.
Your arty photo shot is a good one

That evening meal looks delicious and I'm not sure what I would have chosen between the two dishes.

Now looking forward to what your early start will bring.

Thanks for another great day and such a great read with so many lovely photos

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Breakfast looked delicious. I’m wondering what was a wasted journey. Great report.
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Have been waiting for a new day to appear! That was a long drive! The Tressle looks wonderful and DH will love it - so that's on the list for a stop on our journey down to Victoria Shame the weather got bad for you.
Glad you added the Kinsol Trestle to your list - it really is an impressive structure! At least the drives are pretty, with lots of viewpoints to break up the jounrey. Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
Thanks for another great day - starting with that breakfast- what a quality start to the day.
I love the driving in Canada, you drive for miles with scenery as your cinematic backdrop then come across places that take your breath away, the engineering involved in that trestle must have been a sight to behold.
Your arty photo shot is a good one

That evening meal looks delicious and I'm not sure what I would have chosen between the two dishes.

Now looking forward to what your early start will bring.

Thanks for another great day and such a great read with so many lovely photos
It makes driving so much nicer when there is constant beautiful scenery and plenty of viewpoints! Thanks for reading
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 20, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nesbits View Post
Breakfast looked delicious. I’m wondering what was a wasted journey. Great report.
With the stops along the way, it definitely wasn't a wasted journey. Thanks for reading
Old 21 May 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

It looks like a beautiful country.
You got some great photos
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
It looks like a beautiful country.
You got some great photos
Thanks for reading Canada was full of stunning scenery!