Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Closed Thread

Old 31 Mar 14, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post

I was dreading going to a bridal boutique as I'd heard similar stories so I held off and then as if by magic I discovered a wedding dress maker who lives in my town and works from home. I went to see her, we talked, she sketched, and the result is I'm having my dress made by her to my measurements.
Perfect situation (for me), so maybe you could explore this avenue as well
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 14, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Again I wouldn't take notice of the sizing, I think each designer just makes their own up! I'm a UK12 but tried on size 10 dresses as I want to lose a dress size (I got my dress from an outlet so you buy what you see)... Most of them were obviously very tight but just managed to fasten up... The one 12/14 dress I tried on was about 5 inches too small on top!
Actually when I told the assistant I wanted to look at size 10 dresses because I'm going to lose weight she said "that's what they all say", excuse me!

Size is just a number, the important thing is that you're going to look beautiful on the day, no matter what
Old 1 Apr 14, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
cupcakefairy
Imagineer

Honestly dont worry Im a UK 12 and my dress is a 16 honest they are so so small! xxx

cupcakefairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 14, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

You need to take a look at Vivien of Holloway Charlie_Fame. Lots of 50's styles in all sorts of colours but lots of wedding suitable gowns. They are reproduction but in vintage sizing so you will go up a size or two but the great thing about the circle dresses is that you just match your bust and waist measurements to their sizing and pick the size that matches best, nobody sees the label after all.

The site won't let me post a link but you can google them or find them on facebook. They have a shop in London or you can order online.

By the way I don't work for them just own a couple of their dresses which are incredibly well made and seem to suit all shapes and sizes. I considered one of these for my own dress but went modern in the end.

Hope this helps!
Old 1 Apr 14, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post

I have a Vivien of Holloway dress, blue with white spots Not the look I was going for on my wedding day but theirs are lovely
Old 1 Apr 14, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Well wedding dresses are made small. So, don't worry, you're not doubt a 14-16, but some how they want to make you feel big! So, just take it with a pinch of salt- I know that's easier said then done, I'm also a similar size.
If it comes to it, you just need the dress that fits best, and then of course it will be taken in to fit your shape and whatever your size may be by then!
Please don't worry! My Mother made me feel (and still is a little) crap about my weight, and me in the dress, and I got so angry, but it really isn't worth it xx
Old 1 Apr 14, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
charlie_fame
Very Serious Dibber

charlie_fame's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Aww just got in from a Hellish 14 hour shift and read all the supportive messages! I feel better! I'll keep looking and find the perfect dress! I've seen a dress that perfect that's exactly what I want online but it only goes up to a size 18 in wedding dress sizing 😕 I may have to look at getting it made
charlie_fame is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 14, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

I've been involved in the wedding dress business for14 years... think of it as I need a number 18 dress not size... they are the most ridiculous sizing charts, it varies from one make to another vastly, and you can measure chest waist and hips and each measurement matches a different size on the chart and not always just one size up or down! It can be soul destroying, but try to see past it and enjoy the planning of your day. I echo the other posts and try try try again! Hardly any brides I've helped end up with the dress they thought they would. It's important that you find a style you feel fab in sand then can forget about it as in you wear the dress it doesn't wear you! You don't want to spend the day thinking how to sit,turn,walk etc. Lastly, I know they can be very very VERY expensive sometimes but the two things you shouldn't compromise over is the dress and the photographer. You may only wear the dress once, but you spend the rest if your life looking at the photos of it! I do not own a shop or work on commission! You will shine like the stars on your special day. Congratulations to you xxxxxxx
Old 1 Apr 14, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by charlie_fame View Post
thanks ladies , it makes me feel a bit better that its not just me! all I want is a tea length pretty 1950s lace dress! ill carry on hunting
Look at Anne Balon.
Old 1 Apr 14, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Originally Posted by charlie_fame View Post
thanks ladies , it makes me feel a bit better that its not just me! all I want is a tea length pretty 1950s lace dress! ill carry on hunting
I had a dress like that but not lace, I had it custom made from someone on etsy
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread