Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jun 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Starlet
Excited about Disney

Universal Holiday help - first time

Hello All,

Found myself lucky enough to be able to return to Orlando November this year.
We visited for the first time almost two years ago and did Disney only and stayed onsite with the DDP.

We are 2 adults 2 kids (ages will be 16 and 10)

This time we are staying at Endless Summer (the two bed suite sold it to me) and are visiting Universal Parks and I have purchased the Discovery Cove ultimate ticket too.

We will not be going to Disney and don't have much experience with paying for food all holiday.

So firstly I'm after advise on spending money. What have you roughly spent on food and odd bits and bats. I will be making use of either the universal cups over the freestyle coke one I think. We will visit a supermarket and get cereals and milks for the room etc for most mornings (not every)
I've browsed at some universal menu's when reading about dining plans etc the prices don't seem too unreasonable for in park prices?

Also would love suggestions for places to eat? we've never really ventured I drive.

Is it optimistic to be able to walk to the parks from our hotel? ( we dont mind walking) or would you just get the shuttle?

Also for those that know the locations better what is in walking distance of the hotel? and do most eatery places require you to jump on the trolley?

Anybody know how I book my transportation to busch gardens ( I booked through virgin) or does it go through the discovery cove ticket some other way?

I want to book a day at Kennedy Space Centre too everyone seems to recommend it.

Many many thanks in advance.
Starlet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I think the shuttle is best, not sure if you would have to cross any roads and they are busy around there.
Use Google maps to look around the area for restaurants, I did this for the area I stayed in and picked up loads if places.

The freestyle cups are great value, you wont need 1 each as you can just refill it as needed.

The 3 broomsticks is supposed to be good food, have a look at rix flix on u tube as he does some good stuff about the parks.
Old 14 Jun 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

There should be a desk in reception to book your Busch transfer from the universal bus loop if it’s anything like the other universal hotels. 😊
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

A quick Google suggests it is a 45 minute walk, I'd take the shuttle
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 04:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Batman1
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

We are just about to go home after 2 weeks. We also have 2 around the same age. We also done universal and no Disney.
My advice...

Don't eat in universal.

If you can, go in the morning and get a breakfast in IHOP, dennys or similar. it will keep you going until the evening. You can take a sub roll or snacks into universal if you think you'll need a snack.
The price of the crap food in the parks is not worth it. Get a good breakfast for half the money and then get your meal out in the evening wherever you fancy.
Batman1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Take a look at some vlogs, the despicable 3 have just done universal/ I drive. The have just posted a vlog on food at universal and thrive next one will be about food on I drive... they give you prices too so that will help.
From experience we would breakfast before we went in, take water with us, snack whilst in the parks then eat a meal later at one of the many restaurants around I drive such as chillis, Miller's, I hop or Dennys. We have done things the other way round to you... previously staying offsite in a villa last 2 visits and doing mostly universal. This time we are staying onsite at Disney with ddp.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi

We've been back a week since 10 days on I drive, we stayed at the rosen Inn nearest universal so very close to where you have booked and it looked really nice.

It's about a 20 - 25 minute walk to universal, there are a couple of roads to cross but they have crossings so it's definitely doable although you may get hot

Not sure how universal is going to get people from the resort to the parks but expect it will be by shuttle buses.

If you do want to eat there, there's plenty of options at city walk, we quite like panda express for a quick meal. Restaurants in the park can be more expensive but we usually visit burger digs at IoA and Mels Diner at US as they seem a bit cheaper.

You'll be spilt for choice for restaurants near your hotel among possibilities are miller's ale House, sweet tomatoes, dennys, chilli's, Applebee's, red lobster etc. There's also a subway very close too if you just want a quick snack.

We also really enjoyed hash House a go go which is close and the portions are huge, you can easily share entrees.

Don't forget to sign up for vouchers before you go

Hope this helps, pm me if you need any more info!

Kev

kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Pattfisherman
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

It all depends on your budget, maybe you could do a mixture of eating in the parks and on I drive. That’s what we did, but there was only two of us. I drive you definitely get better prices but sometimes eating in the parks is just more convenient depending on your plans. Hope you enjoy whatever you do
Pattfisherman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Starlet
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Batman1 View Post
We are just about to go home after 2 weeks. We also have 2 around the same age. We also done universal and no Disney.
My advice...

Don't eat in universal.

If you can, go in the morning and get a breakfast in IHOP, dennys or similar. it will keep you going until the evening. You can take a sub roll or snacks into universal if you think you'll need a snack.
The price of the crap food in the parks is not worth it. Get a good breakfast for half the money and then get your meal out in the evening wherever you fancy.
Ok great thankyou, sounds more realistic , I prefer snacking afternoon after a big breakfast. I will search about for breakfast options nearby the hotel!

Originally Posted by nursetina View Post
Take a look at some vlogs, the despicable 3 have just done universal/ I drive. The have just posted a vlog on food at universal and thrive next one will be about food on I drive... they give you prices too so that will help.
From experience we would breakfast before we went in, take water with us, snack whilst in the parks then eat a meal later at one of the many restaurants around I drive such as chillis, Miller's, I hop or Dennys. We have done things the other way round to you... previously staying offsite in a villa last 2 visits and doing mostly universal. This time we are staying onsite at Disney with ddp.

Oh great thankyou I shall watch that vlog then! oooh I enjoyed the disney dining plan so much and booking all my reservations etc I feel like its such a shame for ppl who do it and dont have access to all the information on here, no research etc. This forum helped make our disney holiday so magical. Hope you enjoy, we are excited for our first universal experience!

Originally Posted by kev007 View Post
Hi

We've been back a week since 10 days on I drive, we stayed at the rosen Inn nearest universal so very close to where you have booked and it looked really nice.

It's about a 20 - 25 minute walk to universal, there are a couple of roads to cross but they have crossings so it's definitely doable although you may get hot

Not sure how universal is going to get people from the resort to the parks but expect it will be by shuttle buses.

If you do want to eat there, there's plenty of options at city walk, we quite like panda express for a quick meal. Restaurants in the park can be more expensive but we usually visit burger digs at IoA and Mels Diner at US as they seem a bit cheaper.

You'll be spilt for choice for restaurants near your hotel among possibilities are miller's ale House, sweet tomatoes, dennys, chilli's, Applebee's, red lobster etc. There's also a subway very close too if you just want a quick snack.

We also really enjoyed hash House a go go which is close and the portions are huge, you can easily share entrees.

Don't forget to sign up for vouchers before you go

Hope this helps, pm me if you need any more info!

Kev

Oh thankyou Kev! We actually was looking at staying at that hotel on recommendation of a work collegue who goes there often. Is it nearby Endless Summer then?
Did you walk often to uiversal?
We dont mind walks (I drag the kids up mountains in lake district whenever I can ha)
Yes there will be a bus shuttle to universal just wondered if on easy going days we could walk and pick up breakfast or lunch on the way on foot. I'll make a note of those places my eldest will be delighted at the mention of a subway nearby ha!
Starlet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh thankyou Kev! We actually was looking at staying at that hotel on recommendation of a work collegue who goes there often. Is it nearby Endless Summer then?
Did you walk often to uiversal?
We dont mind walks (I drag the kids up mountains in lake district whenever I can ha)
Yes there will be a bus shuttle to universal just wondered if on easy going days we could walk and pick up breakfast or lunch on the way on foot. I'll make a note of those places my eldest will be delighted at the mention of a subway nearby ha![/QUOTE]

Hi Starlet

Thanks for the message and sorry for the delay in reply.

I think your hotel is where the old Wet n Wild water park used to be. If so, it is an easy walk down to Universal and should take about 20 minutes or so to get to City Walk. You will need to cross over the junction of International Drive and Universal Boulevard and then walk down the Boulevard, you will cross over a couple of roads and go over a bridge and that will take you straight to Universal There isn't much shade until you get quite close so you may get a bit hot but there are crossings so it is safe enough although you won't see too many others walking! We did it several times and have done in the past, we prefer walking to waiting around for a shuttle bus that then calls at various hotels but it might be different for your hotel.

There's a large Walgreens pretty much opposite the hotel where you can get snacks, gifts, food and drink and so on. It's open 24/7.

Near the Subway, there's a Thai restaurant which we didn't try, plus an ice cream place and a burger place. There's loads of restaurants on I-Drive so you won't go hungry Don't forget to sign up before you go to get vouchers, we used quite a few whilst we were there for buy 1 get 1 free, free starters etc. Saves quite a bit of cash that way!

We've stayed at the Rosen Inn nearest Universal hotel plenty of times in the past - it is in a good location, staff friendly and we've never had any major issues there. It is on the other side of I-Drive from yours and about five minutes walk from where you are staying.

We can recommend the Shogun Restaurant at the hotel we stayed in, it is a Japanese steakhouse and they cook the food in front of you. You should be able to get 1 main, 1 half price entree and we thought the food was really nice.

There's also several crazy golf courses close by.

Hope this helps, pm me if you need any other info.

Kev

kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List