Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 May 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
faffajane
Very Serious Dibber

faffajane's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We always have rescue dogs, from about a year old. Both DH and I work all day. When children were younger, they went to school around the corner so could pop home at lunchtime to check on the dog.
Our last dog was a greyhound. easiest dog ever to look after. Contrary to popular belief, they need very little exercise (walked for 20mins in morning before work, then 20 mins in the evening after work), sleep all day, eat their food and demand to go to bed - they are incredibly lazy but love having lots of cuddles.
Current dog is a Greyhound cross. There is only DH and I at home now and again, we work all day though I can work from home one day a week, and when I do work from home I may as well not be here as he sleeps on the sofa all day long until I close my laptop then he will demand a walk.

My only advice will be, don't get a dog that needs a lot of attention, or stimulation especially if you are at work all day, one that is more chilled may be more suitable.
faffajane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Mobile

Couple of suggestions.

My next door neighbour is a volunteer for the cinnamon trust cinnamon.uk/cinnamon-trust/
They help older people who have dogs but can’t walk them, look after them all the time. Might be an option.

The RSPCA near us have volunteer dog walkers for the dogs in kennels.

Both of these you would have to do with your daughter at the moment I’d have thought.

Or a totally wacky one but I think you said you were a teacher, many schools are getting school dogs to help with stress and anxiety at the moment, persuade your Head, you look after the dog, problem solved!
Old 21 May 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

I have 2 dogs, we both work full time which is why I got 2 to keep each other entertained. In laws come down and take out for walks in middle of day and kids home by 3pm (eldest be home fully from mid June). Have always had dogs and have always worked. I got one dog as a 8 week old pup and worked supply then so was in quite a bit plus school holidays but now she five I've been full time for 3 years. It all depends on what suits your family.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Couple of suggestions.

My next door neighbour is a volunteer for the cinnamon trust cinnamon.uk/cinnamon-trust/
They help older people who have dogs but can’t walk them, look after them all the time. Might be an option.

The RSPCA near us have volunteer dog walkers for the dogs in kennels.

Both of these you would have to do with your daughter at the moment I’d have thought.

Or a totally wacky one but I think you said you were a teacher, many schools are getting school dogs to help with stress and anxiety at the moment, persuade your Head, you look after the dog, problem solved!
I like the idea of getting having a dog at school. Might look into that and suggest it. Thank you for the other suggestions too.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
I have 2 dogs, we both work full time which is why I got 2 to keep each other entertained. In laws come down and take out for walks in middle of day and kids home by 3pm (eldest be home fully from mid June). Have always had dogs and have always worked. I got one dog as a 8 week old pup and worked supply then so was in quite a bit plus school holidays but now she five I've been full time for 3 years. It all depends on what suits your family.
Thank you. A few people have mentioned getting two dogs. Not sure we have enough space to accommodate two. I will keep it in mind though, especially as it ensures company for them when we are out.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
I like the idea of getting having a dog at school. Might look into that and suggest it. Thank you for the other suggestions too.
We have gently suggested it at my school but so many of the staff are animal lovers that we got carried away and started talking about a mixture of kennels and a farm, I want a goat and a pot bellied pig!
Old 21 May 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

We have gently suggested it at my school but so many of the staff are animal lovers that we got carried away and started talking about a mixture of kennels and a farm, I want a goat and a pot bellied pig!
😂😂. I’d love a goat. They are my all time favourite animal.
Old 21 May 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Mine too. But don't think my 2 labs would approve. (Or my Husband but I'm not so worried about what he thinks!)
Old 22 May 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mine too. But don't think my 2 labs would approve. (Or my Husband but I'm not so worried about what he thinks!)
Goats for you my girls and some of our babies

Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Love the goat photos. My husband keeps harassing me to get goats but ponies and dogs are more than enough
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List