Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 May 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Medication and weight gain

I’ve recently been prescribed gabapentin for a medical condition I have.
I’d just booked my Florida trip for next year in October. So as I was a little on the overweight side thought 18 months to lose a stone would be doable.
Problem is despite doing the NHS 12 week plan and losing weight during the first two weeks (not on meds), the 3rd week coinciding with the first week on meds I put on half the weight I’d lost, by the 5th week not only am I heavier than I’ve been for a long long time, I’m also struggling to move around with the excess weight!
Of course I’ve spoken with the doctor and they deny the drugs can cause it, but I’ve looked online and the side effects note weight gain as a side effect.
I don’t really want to come off the tablets as they have helped my condition substantially so does anyone have any tips on how to control weight whilst on meds?
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I took lyrica and gaba for fm.
Both drugs causex weight gain and when i came off them after many years i was almost sectioned as my mh spiralled.
I would suggest seriously reconsider these drugs.
As for weight gain. Just eat healthy not much else u can do xx
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
I took lyrica and gaba for fm.
Both drugs causex weight gain and when i came off them after many years i was almost sectioned as my mh spiralled.
I would suggest seriously reconsider these drugs.
As for weight gain. Just eat healthy not much else u can do xx
Thank you.
There are a few other options I can try but my consultant thought this was the best as the side effects of the other drugs were apparently worse.

My other issue is that I have to try and keep the weight off because of my condition so it seems strange to put me on a drug that can do this if you’re being told to stay slim
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

If I gained weight I would know I could lose it fairly quickly, however I was put on 3 different meds at the same time and the weight has piled on and will not shift. I've changed my diet, go to the gym and run and feel healthier but the weight will not come off, I've lost half a stone in 6 months! On average I used to lose 2-6lbs a week! I spoke to my asthma nurse who said it was the meds but when I've been to the doctor he said it's my age! Nothing to do with the meds, I've got to work harder!
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

I'm on Gabapentin and found when I was on 3 doses a day i piled the weight on. I stopped the middle dose and lost quite a bit whilst the pain was still reasonably well controlled. Not saying to do it without discussing with medics but it helped me.
Old 31 May 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

What are the other options out of interest?

I have vestibular migraines and a functional neurological disorder.
Amytriptiline, propanolol and another medicine I can't remember the name of off the top of my head (part of my condition, I call it the dory effect). All 3 caused me to gain weight, gave me migraines and other horrendous side effects. Gabapentin and another one that started with a p were my other options... however i was put on topamax first... it's amazing... made me feel much better, deals with my major symptom fairly well, and it used to be used in America as a weight loss drug! If its one of your other options... I would ask for it. I'm not sure if it's for everyone, I am very med sensitive, if I put my dose up by another 25mg (doctors instructions) it gives me awful nausea, but i can manage on the dose I am currently on.
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by weeleighluigi View Post
What are the other options out of interest?

I have vestibular migraines and a functional neurological disorder.
Amytriptiline, propanolol and another medicine I can't remember the name of off the top of my head (part of my condition, I call it the dory effect). All 3 caused me to gain weight, gave me migraines and other horrendous side effects. Gabapentin and another one that started with a p were my other options... however i was put on topamax first... it's amazing... made me feel much better, deals with my major symptom fairly well, and it used to be used in America as a weight loss drug! If its one of your other options... I would ask for it. I'm not sure if it's for everyone, I am very med sensitive, if I put my dose up by another 25mg (doctors instructions) it gives me awful nausea, but i can manage on the dose I am currently on.
Amitriptolin and pegabentin (sp?) were the other drugs suggested, I have spondylitic radicular neuropathy lumber and cervical.
I’m due another follow up in a couple of weeks so might ask about other drugs then
Old 1 Jun 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm on amitriptyline for my migraines and this combined with the 2 other meds has increased my weight. I wish I could come off them!
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Amytriptiline made me gain 10kg in 3 months... gave me migraines, made me feel like a zombie, made my mouth feel dry all the time and also... the worst side effect for me... the most realistic, mental, surreal, messud-up, horror movie, panic enducing nightmares!

I had only just lost 4 stone! I was so sad to start gaining, then I was put on propanolol which made me gain too, but slower. I was put on topamax and I have lost 10 of the total 14 kg I gained from the previous medications.

Pegabentin is one of the other options I have... doc told me it would make me gain weight, so i ain't touching it with a 10 foot barge pole!
I sound really vain, but i was close to type 2 diabetes and was starting to suffer heath issues because of my weight... I'm not putting it back on again!
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

I am on pregabalin for nerve damage in my spinal cord, caused by meningitis.
I have been on all the medicines stated on here and this is the only one that keeps the pain manageable.
Pregabalin is from the same family as gabapentin.
I was told it would make me gain weight. When i asked for more details the neurologist said that it would increase the hormone that made me feel hungry.
I have lost nearly a stone after taking this med as it makes me more aware of what i put in my mouth. Yes i feel hunger but i grab some veg sticks. Sorry just realised this might sound patronising but i am only trying to explain that it doesn’t have to be weight gain.

ETA - I would have continued to take the pregabalin even if i gained weight as to be without pain is amazing

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying

Edited at 06:32 PM.
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List